The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   MOP/Abalone/Pearl shipping restrictions (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494384)

Vindellama 12-27-2017 05:19 PM

MOP/Abalone/Pearl shipping restrictions

Not sure where to post this...

I was browsing stewmac, finally considering seriously to order a 3-on-plate tuners for a build I'm expecting for the end of the next year.
Never got to an agreement on which of the knob materials I liked the best.
And to my surprise they added black pearl as one of the options.
And it seemed like the perfect match to a style 42 guitar(like the build I'm wating on).
I gone ahead to inquire on how international shipping is handled before making the order. And discovered that they don't ship MOP/Abalole/Pearl items internationaly. When inquiring about that, they said that it was due to CITES.

So... Thats it?
Could they provide cites documentation for shipping or I'm stuck with the "non-shell" options for good?

David MacNeill 12-27-2017 06:11 PM

There’s another thread on CITES and the lack of maker documentation for end users. You may want to add your voice there:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=494290

printer2 12-27-2017 06:25 PM

It is not worth their time to go through the process for a limited return. Such is life.

Tim Mullin 12-28-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindellama (Post 5582847)
Not sure where to post this...

I was browsing stewmac, finally considering seriously to order a 3-on-plate tuners for a build I'm expecting for the end of the next year.

Never got to an agreement on which of the knob materials I liked the best.

And to my surprise they added black pearl as one of the options.

And it seemed like the perfect match to a style 42 guitar(like the build I'm wating on).

I gone ahead to inquire on how international shipping is handled before making the order. And discovered that they don't ship MOP/Abalole/Pearl items internationaly. When inquiring about that, they said that it was due to CITES.

So... Thats it?

Could they provide cites documentation for shipping or I'm stuck with the "non-shell" options for good?

This has nothing to do with CITES. Export of goods from the US containing wild animal material, including all shell species, is regulated by the USFWS under the Lacey Act. A permit is required for each shipment. There is a fee, IIRC around $100, and considerable paperwork. Same going into the US. Again, nothing to do with CITES.

MC5C 12-28-2017 01:25 PM

Sometimes it's possible to find local (as in your country) suppliers, or buy from China. I recently bought MOP inlays from Amazon.CA, Chinese supplier, shipped from Germany into Canada. The issue on marine shell material is pretty much just into or out of the USA, it seems.

Brian

Rodger Knox 12-28-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindellama (Post 5582847)

So... Thats it?

They could, but there are permit fees that make it too expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by printer2 (Post 5582899)
It is not worth their time to go through the process for a limited return. Such is life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rio2000BE (Post 5583270)
This has nothing to do with CITES. Export of goods from the US containing wild animal material, including all shell species, is regulated by the USFWS under the Lacey Act. A permit is required for each shipment. There is a fee, IIRC around $100, and considerable paperwork. Same going into the US. Again, nothing to do with CITES.

Not exactly nothing to do with CITES, the Lacey Act is the US implementation of the CITES treaty, and the latest amendment is in response to changes in the CITES regulations. International trade in shell has been regulated for several years now, and has nothing to do with the recent addition of all dalbergias to Appendix II. I believe that the permit is the same price regardless of the amount of shell being imported/exported, so small shipments are not economically viable.

Tim Mullin 12-30-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodger Knox (Post 5583637)
Not exactly nothing to do with CITES, the Lacey Act is the US implementation of the CITES treaty, and the latest amendment is in response to changes in the CITES regulations.

This seems to be a common misconception, likely due to the Lacey Act and the US as a party to CITES both coming under the responsibility of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The regulatory paperwork for the two are different and requirements triggered by different factors. The shell in question by the OP is NOT listed on any CITES Appendix — it requires no CITES paperwork and trades freely under CITES — but, it IS a product of wildlife and therefore trade is regulated under Lacey, with its own permit requirements that are unique to the US. Again, nothing to do with CITES.

GeoffStGermaine 12-31-2017 10:20 AM

If you're talking about having it shipped out of the US then pretty much that's it... I have never seen a supplier willing to ship it out of the US due to the reasons listed above.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I haven't had issue having shell shipped into Canada from a few different suppliers in Vietnam and Japan. If you can find a supplier for the part outside of the US then you will likely have better luck.

JSDenvir 01-04-2018 07:34 PM

Check out Andy Depaule. http://www.luthiersupply.com

Good luck

Steve