The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bill Bailey (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455844)

David Hutton 01-11-2017 03:28 AM

Bill Bailey

My attempt at this simple tune arranged by Mark Hanson, designed to teach hand rolls (triplets). I make a few mistakes but really like the tune anyhow.

Recorded on my Yamaha silent nylon.

Kerbie 01-11-2017 03:28 AM

Excellent! I enjoyed that. I like Mark's arrangements... fun to play. Well done.

RodB 01-11-2017 03:38 AM

I enjoyed that - like the tempo - has a nice feel to it.

Guest 33123 01-11-2017 11:15 AM

Excellent David!

reeve21 01-11-2017 09:44 PM

Like Rod says, nice feel. I would say it swings, not easy to do at a fairly slow tempo.

I only heard one little clam, right at the end. And I was forewarned and listening for it!

I remember my grandmother singing this song (she also favored "Has Anybody Seen My Gal" and "Peg O My Heart" from the same genre). I guess she would be well over a hundred now, but I can see her as a young girl through your rendition here.

Many thanks, David.

Bob

David Hutton 01-12-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5188970)
Excellent! I enjoyed that. I like Mark's arrangements... fun to play. Well done.

Thanks Kerbie,

I feel in Marks debt as, despite never meeting him, he has effectively taught me to play the guitar to a level that I could never have dreamed of. Cannot recommend his books enough.

David Hutton 01-12-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodB (Post 5188973)
I enjoyed that - like the tempo - has a nice feel to it.

Thanks Rod, really enjoying listening to your stuff on Soundcloud. You are a fine player indeed!

David Hutton 01-12-2017 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Doug (Post 5189383)
Excellent David!

Thanks very much!

Kerbie 01-12-2017 06:33 AM

Couldn't agree more, David. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Swannanoa Gathering and he's great. Just as good as his books. His playing partner, Doug Smith, was among the very best teachers I've ever had at Swannanoa. If you get the chance to meet either one of them, take advantage... it'll be worth it. :)

David Hutton 01-12-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeve21 (Post 5190096)
Like Rod says, nice feel. I would say it swings, not easy to do at a fairly slow tempo.

I only heard one little clam, right at the end. And I was forewarned and listening for it!

I remember my grandmother singing this song (she also favored "Has Anybody Seen My Gal" and "Peg O My Heart" from the same genre). I guess she would be well over a hundred now, but I can see her as a young girl through your rendition here.

Many thanks, David.

Bob

Thanks Bob, really nice of you to only spot the one clam.

I am in the mood of trying to record things in only one or two takes at the moment. This allows mistakes but means I don't fall out with the tune.

I must now listen to the original as I must confess I never have!

David Hutton 01-12-2017 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5190317)
Couldn't agree more, David. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Swannanoa Gathering and he's great. Just as good as his books. His playing partner, Doug Smith, was among the very best teachers I've ever had at Swannanoa. If you get the chance to meet either one of them, take advantage... it'll be worth it. :)

There is a great live album with Mark and Doug - Guitar Confluence Live. Really worth a listen if you have not already. I would definitely take the chance to meet them if it ever arrives!

ripdotcom 01-12-2017 09:15 PM

I cried the whole night long. Hey, that's not a silent guitar I heard the whole thing.

David Hutton 01-13-2017 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripdotcom (Post 5191236)
I cried the whole night long. Hey, that's not a silent guitar I heard the whole thing.

Sorry for making you cry! My wife feels the same way about my playing, hence the silent guitar!

https://app.box.com/s/ctwy4ai7k7swcrm9m59o27175bost4jc