The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Events and New Releases (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The North American Guitar is looking for investors (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450599)

ErikAnd 11-24-2016 04:09 PM

The North American Guitar is looking for investors

Interesting. So if I were to invest the minimum of 10 pounds (12 dollars U.S.), how would I see a return on the investment? Perhaps if they were to ever be acquired by another company for a higher valuation, I'd receive 20 pounds back? Is that how it works?

I am intrigued that they are working with Avian guitars to relaunch the brand. I'd be more inclined to invest directly into the Avian company since I believe that they're on to something there.

I don't like that the only way to really dig into all of the information and particulars requires you to make an account with Crowdcube.

https://www.crowdcube.com/companies/...GjEZ#providers

skinnerb 11-24-2016 04:14 PM

What is Crowd cube???

ErikAnd 11-24-2016 04:20 PM

It's the first I've heard of Crowdcube, but then again, I don't invest money. It seems like Kickstarter.

I would recommend to them that they put the details about how to invest on their own website so that you don't have to make a Crowdcube account just to research it further.

On another note, how do you post a Youtube video so that the video itself shows up in the post, rather than just a link?

ErikAnd 11-24-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinnerb (Post 5137142)
What is Crowd cube???

https://vimeo.com/173029255
Crowdcube looks to be a British version of Kickstarter.

Parlorman 11-24-2016 05:16 PM

I don't think this is an investment so much as it is them wanting you to give them money.

SuperB23 11-24-2016 05:41 PM

I wish there were some Dealers in the states for Avian. I'm sad that Dream Guitars stopped.

Bill Yellow 11-24-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikAnd (Post 5137146)
On another note, how do you post a Youtube video so that the video itself shows up in the post, rather than just a link?

When typing a post, click on the 'Video' icon above the textbox, and between the markups that appear, enter just the YouTube video ID. (The bit that usually comes after 'v=' in the URL of the video.)

justonwo 11-24-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parlorman (Post 5137182)
I don't think this is an investment so much as it is them wanting you to give them money.

I don't know how you figure that. They are looking for growth capital. As an equity investor, you will be entitled to all of the privileges of a normal shareholder. Depending on how they intend to grow the business and their exit strategy (assuming they have one) this could mean dividends from profits each year or potentially a payday if the company is sold. Pretty standard stuff. I'd be interested to know how much they think they can grow the business, what the exit strategy is supposed to be, and how they intend to grow the business. I like their approach to recording and aggressively representing their builders and vendors.

Edited: I had made some uninformed speculation about the growth strategy for their business. In reality I don't know much and shouldn't speculate. I have a lot of respect for their shop and approach.

dodge 11-24-2016 06:04 PM

I wonder why they don't apply to go on "Dragons Den" and try and get some investment.

pandaroo 11-24-2016 06:17 PM

I was not surprised they chose to relaunch Avian. Last July, I went to Guitarlair in Kuala Lumpur housing reputable boutique guitars such as Kronbauer, Webber, Huss & Dalton, Collings, Bedell, Lowden, Avalon, Northwood just to name a few, I walked out with a Collings and an Avian Skylark. The Avians were that good.

Long Jon 11-24-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 5137206)
I DO like TNAG's business as boutique guitars go. I like their approach to recording and aggressively representing their builders and vendors.

Haha! I know you mean that in a positive, business way, but "Aggressive" is about the last word I'd use to describe Ben or Michael.
Only ever seen them on video, They seem like incredibly nice polite young gentlemen. :)

No affiliation apart from sharing the same town, I dare not imagine how much rent and rates they must pay :eek:, that's a pretty up-market location I can tell 'ee !

justonwo 11-24-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Jon (Post 5137228)
Haha! I know you mean that in a positive, business way, but "Aggressive" is about the last word I'd use to describe Ben or Michael.
They seem like incredibly nice polite young gentlemen. :)

No affiliation apart from sharing the same town, I dare not imagine how much rent and rates they must pay :eek:, that's a pretty up-market location I can tell 'ee !

I meant that in a positive way. They have a pretty broad presence and Michael takes the trouble to really shine a spotlight on everything that comes in the door. They keep their Facebook content fresh. Michael makes a lot of appearances at guitar shows, and he keeps a close relationship with his builders. That's what I mean by "aggressive." I didn't mean like a used car salesman, so I hope it didnt' come across that way. I'm actually very impressed by how they market guitars and think they do a great job.

I've always imagined that they are in a very expensive neighborhood. Now I know!

Long Jon 11-24-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 5137231)
I meant that in a positive way. They have a pretty broad presence and Michael takes the trouble to really shine a spotlight on everything that comes in the door. They keep their Facebook content fresh. Michael makes a lot of appearances at guitar shows, and he keeps a close relationship with his builders. That's what I mean by "aggressive." I didn't mean like a used car salesman, so I hope it didnt' come across that way. I'm actually very impressed by how they market guitars and think they do a great job.

I've always imagined that they are in a very expensive neighborhood. Now I know!

I live way up north east, on the other side of the tracks and it's incredibly expensive round here ! All London property prices are just off the scale.
I may have to go there some day,(I've never seen a Froggy Bottom).
I think Michael sets the standard for how to dress higher than I'm used to, so probably ditch my zippy leather biker jkt and go as preppie as I can muster....
I am just afraid that a visit there might end up expensive for ME ! :D

EDIT: Mmmmm... maybe if I buy 20 quid's worth of shares I'll get a huge discount on the goodies ?!

ukejon 11-24-2016 07:00 PM

Can't really comment on the business plan (I'm an Art Historian!) but I've been to TNAG and also have benefitted from Michael's generous friendship and advice. Top tier guy and the best guitar shop I've ever visited. Certainly wish them all the best.

steveh 11-26-2016 06:58 AM

I've just looked at the TNAG vid just put up on the 'tube.

Very well done but there is no description at all regarding what it is the "investor" gets back. I think that's a serious omission when 99.9% of their audience will not be "business people" but guitarists, likely unfamiliar with thsi sort of thing.

I've used similar schemes twice: Once to fund an Allan Holdsworth album that I was sent a copy of subsequently in return for my upfront investment. The second time a friemd was putting together a copy of a photography book and when done, I got a copy.

I don't have any feel for what the investor gets here? I did go to their Crowdfunding page in order to glean more but it required personal details etc. for access to the full scheme. Yeah. Right. Goodbye. I'll give them details when I'm ready to invest, not just to find out what the scheme is all about.

Perhaps Michael will chip in here?
He needs to.

Cheers,
Steve