The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dunlop Ultex pick (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129681)

oldrocker 07-03-2008 07:43 PM

Dunlop Ultex pick

I've tried about every pick made from hand made buffalo horn to those fancy tortise-like bluegrass picks that cost $20 or $30 each. I haven't found a pick that I liked everything about it. About my favorite shape and favorite sounding pick continues to be the Fender heavy (and similar clones) and Dunlop Tortex but the Fenders wear out and get to where they start sounding like a saw against your strings and you have to throw them away, and the Tortex last and feel good but they have somewhat of a softer sound than the Fenders.

A while back I ordered some new strings and added some of these Dunlop Ultex picks just to try them out. Wow! I love them. They have the big crisp bold yet smooth sound, even better sound than the Fender-type, but they are made of a very hard material so the edges stay rounded and they just slide along the strings, slick and fast as can be. If you've had the same pick dissatisfaction as me, try these. I'll try some different sizes but I really like this one for acoustic guitar.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...d/IMG_2448.jpg

guitarstrmr 07-03-2008 08:11 PM

If you like the Dunlops, you ought to try the Clayton Ultem picks. They're very similar to the Dunlop, but there's something about them that I like better than Dunlops. They're just a tad bit larger than the Dunlop, but not much. Looks like very similar material. I like the .72mm.

Made In Canada 07-03-2008 08:13 PM

Very nice picks indeed.

I'll assume you've tried Red bear Tortis, but I think anyone who likes Ultex would love them. But costwise....it's hard to beat Dunlop Ultex and/or Tortex.

oldrocker 07-03-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Made In Canada (Post 1524011)
Very nice picks indeed.

I'll assume you've tried Red bear Tortis, but I think anyone who likes Ultex would love them. But costwise....it's hard to beat Dunlop Ultex and/or Tortex.

Yes I have a couple that just sit in my guitar case along with the others. Somehow the shape and the way they feel against the strings just doesn't work very well for me.

oldrocker 07-03-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarstrmr (Post 1524008)
If you like the Dunlops, you ought to try the Clayton Ultem picks. They're very similar to the Dunlop, but there's something about them that I like better than Dunlops. They're just a tad bit larger than the Dunlop, but not much. Looks like very similar material. I like the .72mm.

Thanks guitarstrmr...That's one pick I haven't tried and I'll order some.

sunpadre 07-03-2008 09:03 PM

About 2 months ago, I purchased these dunlop ultex and are the best for me so far. I'm just figuring which thickness now.

scadgrad 07-03-2008 09:53 PM

I was digging those Ultex picks myself until I started breaking the fool out of them. After the third one broke, I started looking again. I've ditched them and went to the Gator grip by Dunlop which sounds great on the Martins, but not as good on the Taylor; weird huh? Still using the standard dunlop on the Taylor.

oldrocker 07-03-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scadgrad (Post 1524102)
I was digging those Ultex picks myself until I started breaking the fool out of them. After the third one broke, I started looking again. I've ditched them and went to the Gator grip by Dunlop which sounds great on the Martins, but not as good on the Taylor; weird huh? Still using the standard dunlop on the Taylor.

That is weird. I can't imagine breaking one like I use. How thick were you going? Years ago I would only use medium picks until I learned that I had better control with thicker ones. I don't think you could break 1mm or thicker.

yardism 07-03-2008 11:01 PM

I can't imagine breaking an Ultex. I have not picked up another pick since I first tried Dunlop Ultex. That was 4 years ago.

re17 07-04-2008 12:08 AM

The Clayton Ultems, as others have said, are just as good as the Dunlop Ultexes, and for my money just as durable too. They also come in a great intermediate .80mm thickness which the Ultexes don't. I used to really like both the Ultems and the Ultexes, only I now feel that they give a sound that's slightly too bright when used on my Taylors, and I've reverted to Dunlop Tortex for a slightly warmer sound.

Richard

Big Bad Bill 07-04-2008 12:46 AM

I searched around for the perfect pick for me, and after trying pretty much everything there is (including Red Bear Tortis) someone gave me an large Ultex triangle pick, and I have been completely hooked since.

I have not found another pick that sounds as good as the Ultex.

JimLin 07-04-2008 05:31 AM

I've been using 1.0 and .73 Ultex for several years now and like 'em better than anything else -- I'll have to revisit the Clayton picks. I tried some several years ago and like them ...

I have a couple of Tortis picks and while I like them, I just can't bring myself to buy more at $25 each to keep experimenting with differerent gauges and shapes. It may have more to do with familiarity than anything else, but I actually prefer the Ultex ... and it's about 1/100th of the price.

Eugenius 07-04-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re17 (Post 1524163)
The Clayton Ultems, as others have said, are just as good as the Dunlop Ultexes, and for my money just as durable too. They also come in a great intermediate .80mm thickness which the Ultexes don't. I used to really like both the Ultems and the Ultexes, only I now feel that they give a sound that's slightly too bright when used on my Taylors, and I've reverted to Dunlop Tortex for a slightly warmer sound.

Richard

+1 one on the Clayton's, they sound and feel amazing. I use the large triangular picks, anywhere from .38 to .80 and sometimes 1mm.

The .38 and .45 are my favourite, and very very durable.

bryankimsey 07-04-2008 07:43 AM

I used real TS for 15 years from 1980-95 (the same two picks, too), then Ultems since about 1995, and added Ultrex in 1997. I use Red Bear today as my playing pick and the two gold picks as "carry in my pocket" picks.

Note that all of these picks will warp- the Ultems were notortious for that for several years there- and all can be easily beveled or shaped or polished to suit your preference.

Robert 07-04-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarstrmr (Post 1524008)

I use both, great picks!