The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Have you ever bought a guitar just to take apart and mess with? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217889)

Irondale 05-27-2011 02:13 PM

Have you ever bought a guitar just to take apart and mess with?

I'd like to turn my Yamaha FG-160 into a modded frankenstein.:D

I wanna take off the neck (frets are shot) and put on a new neck, don't even know if this is even possible, replace the tuners (they really do suck) and replace the bridge.

GibbyPrague 05-27-2011 02:15 PM

Seems like a total waste of money. Just get a guitar you're happy with in the first place and be done with it.

gitnoob 05-27-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irondale (Post 2631742)

I wanna take off the neck (frets are shot) and put on a new neck, don't even know if this is even possible, replace the tuners (they really do suck) and replace the bridge.

Sure. Great way to learn repairs and other aspects of guitar building.

But the neck exchange is "advanced." I'd start with the tuners. A refret would be easier than a new neck.

murrmac123 05-27-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorPrague (Post 2631746)
Seems like a total waste of money. Just get a guitar you're happy with in the first place and be done with it.

Absolutely not.

Messing with guitars, doing mods, is one of the most satisfying things imaginable.

Even if the end result doesn't turn out as expected, the experience is worth it.

skatalite 05-27-2011 02:21 PM

My sub-$50 (brand new) Rogue acoustic is my guinea pig.

Irondale 05-27-2011 02:25 PM

yep, just doing it to have a project. I can always BUY a new guitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murrmac123 (Post 2631751)
Absolutely not.

Messing with guitars, doing mods, is one of the most satisfying things imaginable.

Even if the end result doesn't turn out as expected, the experience is worth it.

AZLiberty 05-27-2011 02:31 PM

Yes. I bought a used Epiphone from a pawn shop for $10. I took off the neck, shimmed it and set it, pulled off the bridge and replaced it then when I was done gave it to a friend to learn guitar on.

Irondale 05-27-2011 02:34 PM

eh, I have a feeling replacing the entire neck may get too costly. But the fretboard and frets are so shot.

Bikewer 05-27-2011 03:19 PM

I converted a cheap acoustic into a "dobro" of sorts:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/...1?context=user

The original guitar was really ratty, but the resonator turned out to sound rather nice.

Stubee 05-27-2011 03:19 PM

I did !! I bought an electric guitar and defretted it.

chitz 05-27-2011 03:24 PM

I buy basket cases all the time. I patch em up and re-home them to those less fortunate or the troops. I've learned how to repair and maintain my own fleet by doing this.

sboiir 05-27-2011 03:45 PM

mess with it

Absolutely, go for it. I've been tearing apart broke or cheap guitars for years. It's amazing how you can turn a throw away into a player ! Experiment with trimming bracing, thinning the top in various places, filing frets, setting action, all of it. Just suggest doing 1 alter at a time to see what it does and go from there. You will wind up with your own thing. Although I started messing with $100 or less guitars now I don't mind adjusting $1000 units. Enjoy....

Bridgepin 05-27-2011 03:47 PM

Yes and I learned alot, I feel it is a good way to start

nrand 05-27-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irondale (Post 2631742)

I tried this once with a guitar just to mess with and ended up with - - - - a mess.

Misty44 05-27-2011 04:01 PM

Testbeds for Tinkering

Great way to begin to understand the physics of the acoustic guitar, and to learn some of its tipping - or as I call them: oops! - points.

Years ago snagged two low-cost Sigmas off eBay, still use them as beaters but also as testbeds for tinkering.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k.../IMG_3266a.jpg

So far have slotted, reamed, enlarged soundholes, shaved braces, scalloped braces, added braces, filed frets, refinished headstocks, and cut a soundport into one of them. Never thought I'd be able to work inside a guitar just by feel - but I did.

If you have the itch to tinker and learn and make things different (maybe even better?!), then by all means have at it. Those Sigmas will never sound like their Martin counterparts, but they now sound a heck of a lot better than they did when they first came to me.