The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Taylor 810 WMB What does WMB mean? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538)

TaylorDude 12-03-2001 01:53 PM

Taylor 810 WMB What does WMB mean?

What does the WMB mean? Is this guitar made from Brazilian Rosewood or Indian? I can pick one up in EXCELLENT condition for $1250 + shipping. Sound good? Thanks !!!!

jdpresto 12-03-2001 02:17 PM

If I had 1250 I would be all over it. It is Indiana Rosewood and WMB stands for With more Bass. They did a martinish pre-war bracing on it to give it a bigger low end. It also has rosewood binding. I am assuming it is the one on e-bay, so just be sure that it is a reputable seller.

tomq 12-03-2001 03:03 PM

I just spoke to taylor about it--just got one that had never been sold by the dealer--wmb stands for wood binding--more bass-they use the premium 910 grade indian rosewood-sitka spruce top. Mine did not have a pickgaurd.-Kind of a butterscotch stain finnish-It is a great sounding guitar--very balanced with a deep rich bass response and very good mids and highs. For that price you should jump on it.

Noflatpick 12-03-2001 03:20 PM

Indiana rosewood? Like from around Lafayette?

Oh man, that's good stuff. :D :D

Lonesome Picker 12-03-2001 03:41 PM

Hey from NC:

Regarding the 810 WMB, I had one and just sold. Check out my serial number in the information below, it may be mine! I have kiked myself for selling it in the first place.

Here are the details and comments (Acoustic Guitar & Taylor) on this fine guitar.

Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Taylor 810 WMB
Serial # 970805105 (was mine)

Guitar World Acoustic, No. 24

(The issue with Jerry Garcia on the front cover), on page 96 has an article entitled
"Boomer Baby-Taylor 810 WMB" by Chris Gill. To quote excerpts, he writes: "In order to accommodate flatpickers who like a deep low end, Taylor has come up with a guitar with booming bass response: the limited edition 810 WMB. Like Taylor's standard 810 model, the WMB (which stands for "wood binding, more bass") has a highly attractive solid Sitka spruce top, solid Indian rosewood back and sides, an ebony fretboard and gold-plated tuners..."

Gill adds: "In fact, the main difference between the 810 WMB and the 810 is that the WMB is designed with a special top bracing pattern that provides phenomenally loud yet tight bass response. All it takes is one vigorous strum to realize that this guitar is meant to speak with a deep, authoritative voice. But the Taylor's enhanced bass does not come at the expense of the treble and midrange, as in the case in so many dreadnoughts".

From Taylor Guitars to RMMGA member: 7/26/2000

We introduced the 810wmb ("Wood binding, More Bass" - the binding is not white maple - $2,198 U.S. Retail in '97) as part of 5 Limited Edition Guitars in the Summer 1997 issue of Wood & Steel. New methods for top and back bracing were incorporated into the design of the instrument, giving it the power to yield more bass response. It was built standard with all-solid wood construction throughout, 900 Series rosewood back/sides, 900 Series rosewood binding (red purfling), Sitka spruce top and a wood-trimmed abalone rosette, in addition to the other standard 800 Series appointments. These tended to be incredibly loud guitars, with a more predominant bass response.

Total Production: (279)
Hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else you need...

Taylor Guitars

Lonesome Picker 12-03-2001 03:43 PM

By the way, if you can buy this guitar in good shape for $1250, buy it! If you don't please let me know who the seller is.

Ron

Lonesome Picker (NC)

TaylorDude 12-03-2001 05:05 PM

Lonesome picker,

Here is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1491570975

The owner says about the guitars condition: It has "normal tiny finish wear" and a small ding on top right of headstock. Has white stain on front of case, might be able to come clean ????

If you are ready to buy it, go for it. I am still thinking about it. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thanks for all the help too !!!!

Phil G 12-04-2001 12:02 AM

Serial number #920714131 and bought new in 1998? Wouldn't the 92 at the beginning mean that it was made in 1992? What is even more confusing is that Taylor didn't even adopt that serial number system untill 1993. This could be a typo and probably is, but I just thought I would point that out.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Phil G ]

Lonesome Picker 12-04-2001 01:58 AM

Hey Phil:

You are right. According to the number given, it would be the 131st guitar, rolling off the line on July 14, 1992. The 810 WMB was introduced in 1997, if I am not mistaken.

Ron

Lonesome Picker (NC)

jdpresto 12-04-2001 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jdpresto:
[QB]It is Indiana Rosewood and WMB stands for QB]
Well, oops :) Subconscious slip there...

Go Hoosiers!