The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   T5 amp (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199947)

John Schultheis 11-20-2010 01:24 PM

T5 amp

Hi all
Any suggestions of a good amp to play my t5 thru
I have an older peavey 30 tube amp but I guess I
need an acoustic amp

DenverSteve 11-20-2010 02:53 PM

No, you don't. I play mine through a PA, an electric amp and an acoustic amp. With a T5 string selection can be a big difference in determining which amp/pa to use. Some use two amps and an A/B switch to go between the two. Take your T5 to a large store with lots of amps and try them all. Like guitars two seemingly identical amps (especially older) can be very different. What I, or someone else, likes for their T5 may not jazz you at all. Amps, strings, guitars, capos...are very subjective and something you'll be happier if you select one after trying many. Happy shopping. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

edward993 11-20-2010 04:04 PM

Never owned a T5, but played one at a friendly store that let me loose and hang out for practically an hour straight ...I liked it a bunch! IMHO, the bottom line is a good tube amp (your Peavy or others ...I have been a die-hard boogie fan for well over a decade now) is how you get the best electric tones; a PA is where you'd get the most "acoustic" of acoustic-guitar tone. Get a splitter box, Taylor's or another's, and route your signal accordingly. I think that would get you the best of both worlds.

Edward

Blueser100 11-20-2010 04:26 PM

I don't see why you have to go with an "acoustic" amp. How does it sound with the Peavey tube? Are you getting the sound you want? I saw the T5 demo'ed at the Taylor Road Show in Los Angeles. He was running it through a nice Fender.

Taylorplayer 11-20-2010 04:31 PM

Quote: "Some use two amps and an A/B switch to go between the two" -

That's exactly what I do. I run one line to my 'lectric amp - and the other to my 'coustic amp. Balance the volume between them and you get a great range of sounds.

Just noticed that was your first post! Welcome to the AGF.

John Schultheis 11-20-2010 04:43 PM

Thanks for all the input. I'm still messing around with the peavey amp and i play thru a pa when i play at church and it sounds decent.
I play with a group, mostly old jazzy stuff and not to happy with the peavey amp so i was wondering if the t5 was supposed to be used with an accoustic amp. I'm sure it's a matter of preference and iv'e never played it thru an accoustic amp so i may have to try that

thanks

Taylorplayer 11-20-2010 04:44 PM

Is your Peavy a tube amp? It is, right? You might try using position 2 on the T5, and on the amp cut the mids to about 9 o'clock, and set the bass and treble at about 3 o'clock. Then adjust for articulation on the T5. Or, you can crank up the bass and the treble all the way on the T5, and back them down until you hear the tone you like.

Taylorplayer 11-20-2010 04:52 PM

Another thing that helped to get more of a Jazzy sound was to put a set of heavy gauge "electric" strings on it....Hope this helps you ~

JCW308 11-20-2010 04:54 PM

Two words: Henriksen Tweetey (keep your amp and use this)

Taylorplayer 11-20-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwoertz (Post 2415226)
Two words: Henriksen Tweetey (keep your amp and use this)

such verbal economy!

John Schultheis 11-20-2010 07:49 PM

T5 amp

messin with my peavy
3 9 3 settings are an improvement. henriksen tweety seems to be hard to get ahold of but may be a cool setup

Thanks for the input

barefooter 11-20-2010 09:47 PM

Hello there... I just came back into the house about two hours ago from being out in the garage with two of my music buddies. I used my T5 tonight running it straight into the PA (Yamaha EMX312sc). When reading Taylorplayer's post about the settings, I looked at the PA head that I carried back in tonight. I have the Highs set at 12, the Mids set at 8/9 and the Bass at 2. Tonight I played mostly on setting 1 on the T5 tweaking the tones I wanted with the guitar controls. I did use Position 5 a few songs adjusting the treble and bass controls getting the sound I wanted.

Sometimes I will use a solid state modeling amp (do not have a tube available now) and set it to the Fender setting and get clean sounds. I use the ABY box switching between the PA and amp, or running them at the same time. It works for me.

Enjoy your T5 :)

HarleyGator 12-01-2010 09:30 AM

I play my T5 thru an A/B box into a Genz Benz Shennandoah acoustic and a Fender Mustang II electric. I have experimented with several amps and found these to be the best for me. The Mustang II has endless sounds and when paired with the Genz Benz it sounds great! The Genz Benz is a great acoustic amp for my acoustics too.

Gutch 12-01-2010 10:08 AM

+ 1 on the ABY box. Run one channel of the box through your electric rig, and another through the PA. Makes it easy to switch between and, if desired, Y them out for a nice dual channel sound...

jmjohnson 12-01-2010 11:04 AM

An acoustic amp adds a tweeter, so you may indeed be missing something on an electric guitar amp, but the T5 still sounds pretty good through one.

With my T5 through a Strawberry Blonde 2, I find it a little too bright at 'Tweeter On' setting, but can switch it to a reduced output that seems just right. I thought that amp a pretty good value for electrifying my T5 and Martin.

Decide what tone are you after, try A/Bing the 2 style amps, to see if it is worth it.