The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The worst thing you can see when you get a new guitar from Fedex/UPS (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499505)

Guest 1511 02-08-2018 05:36 PM

The worst thing you can see when you get a new guitar from Fedex/UPS

That little sticker that says "wait 24 hours before opening."

It came from Nashville and spent a day traveling up to Indiana so it may have gotten chilly. I think it was down to 35 around those parts yesterday. It got to Oakland early this morning and started warming back up. I could probably open it and nothing would happen. Right? Sigh, I won't though. I waited this long. Another day won't kill me. I swear though if this was a less expensive guitar I'd do it. I would!

HHP 02-08-2018 05:40 PM

I think the worst is when you are tracking a package and it suddenly shows up as "delivered" when it wasn't delivered to you. I've had that happen twice recently. If you look up "frustration" in the dictionary, you will find the 800 number for Fed Ex customer service.

RP 02-08-2018 05:41 PM

Au contraire, I believe that the absolute worst thing you can see when you accept the delivery of a new guitar is part of the guitar poking itself through a hole in the box.....

johbren 02-08-2018 05:44 PM

I've always opened immediately upon receipt many new solid wood and laminated but I don't tune them up or play for an hour or so. Never had a problem. I just sit and oogle for an hour.

cmd612 02-08-2018 05:46 PM

I was expecting something about forklift holes in the box. Or tire tracks.

So whaddja get?

HodgdonExtreme 02-08-2018 06:14 PM

Last guitar that arrived for me (used) came in a white takamine box... With big ugly black bootprints all over it! Yikes!

Everything looked great instead, though...

vindibona1 02-08-2018 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While not UPS or FedEx... A few years ago when living in Mexico and moving back to the states a "friend" (without my prior knowledge) stick my classical guitar in a box and drop it off at the local Mexican shipping place. 8 weeks later a box with a guitar bag, and some splinters arrived on my doorstep:( They didn't know that I intended to return in a couple weeks to retrieve it.

Don't think you can get much worse than that. Here's what it looked like when in Mexico...

der Geist 02-08-2018 06:56 PM

Actually happened to me once with UPS and a box of 100 VHS tapes back in the day. The UPS truck ran over the box with the dual rear wheels smashing almost every tape into pieces. When I filed the claim UPS initially denied it as "improperly packaged" because the tapes did not have 3" of packing material surrounding them. It took 3 months of fighting but I eventually got reimbursed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd612 (Post 5632668)
I was expecting something about forklift holes in the box. Or tire tracks.

So whaddja get?

Guest 1511 02-08-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 5632706)
While not UPS or FedEx... A few years ago when living in Mexico and moving back to the states a "friend" (without my prior knowledge) stick my classical guitar in a box and drop it off at the local Mexican shipping place. 8 weeks later a box with a guitar bag, and some splinters arrived on my doorstep:

I see the pic of it in Mexico, but you need to upload the "after" pic.

Rosewood99 02-08-2018 06:59 PM

The worst thing was when the Razo guitar I bought from a forum member arrived with a clean break of the neck. The seller refunded me and got some money back from Fedex. But I would have rather had the guitar (whole, that is).

vindibona1 02-08-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Rat (Post 5632748)
I see the pic of it in Mexico, but you need to upload the "after" pic.

No "after" pic... There was virtually nothing to photograph. The shipping company didn't bother to even deliver the entire guitar... Just a few splinters left in the case. I didn't take it when I originally left because I was returning home already with EIGHT cases and only had a soft gig bag... therefore I planned on returning to pick it up.

There is a silver lining in that cloud... I decided to buy another guitar which turned into two...which turned into 13!... and and a serious avocation (again).

rct 02-08-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johbren (Post 5632666)
I've always opened immediately upon receipt many new solid wood and laminated but I don't tune them up or play for an hour or so. Never had a problem. I just sit and oogle for an hour.

Yeah well, me too. But that is not the accepted norm here, there is some sort of mandatory drama time between receipt and opening of package. I don't know when this happened, in the hundred of guitars I've dealt with through the shipping systems for a variety of reasons over the decades, that memo was never with one of them.

It is an odd world we live in these days.

rct

llew 02-08-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5632659)
I think the worst is when you are tracking a package and it suddenly shows up as "delivered" when it wasn't delivered to you. I've had that happen twice recently. If you look up "frustration" in the dictionary, you will find the 800 number for Fed Ex customer service.

Exactly why I have mine held at the local UPS/FedEx hubs for pickup. Then it's always on my time?

1Charlie 02-08-2018 07:42 PM

The danger in opening the box, and then the case, when the guitar has been subjected to extreme cold, is that the wood and the finish will warm up and expand at different rates, shattering the finish like glass and creating the phenomenon called "weather checking". Nitrocelulose finishes are most susceptible.

Lots of older guitars have been exposed to repeated warm/cold/warm shock and exhibit weather checking, which does not adversely impact the tone. But on a newer guitar, it definitely impacts the value.

So, go slow. Wait until the box feels warm to the touch. Then remove the case and let it warm up some more. Once the case latches are warm to the touch, it is safe to open and ogle.

jpd 02-08-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Rat (Post 5632655)
That little sticker that says "wait 24 hours before opening."

It came from Nashville and spent a day traveling up to Indiana so it may have gotten chilly. I think it was down to 35 around those parts yesterday. It got to Oakland early this morning and started warming back up. I could probably open it and nothing would happen. Right? Sigh, I won't though. I waited this long. Another day won't kill me. I swear though if this was a less expensive guitar I'd do it. I would!

At least the box wasn't damaged!:eek: