The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Buying my first big boy guitar. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392321)

TheElipse 06-29-2015 10:41 AM

Buying my first big boy guitar.

I have, or at least will have when it comes to buying the guitar, a $3000 budget for buying an acoustic guitar.

I plan on this guitar being my main instrument, it will be what I perform with on most occasions.

I currently own a 12 string, which I already love, and a GS mini, which I also love but bought for the purpose of traveling and practicing on the go.

I am a fan of the Taylor sound, or at least I think I am. I have played both Taylors and Martins in stores and there is just a certain shuffle of the strings that makes me blush when I play a Taylor and chords that just absolutely shimmer. I have seen videos on youtube comparing various types of Taylors and Martins and I just prefer the Taylors. I really want to like a Martin, but I think I need to be pointed in the right direction. I have tried what I have said but I am buy no means an expert.

That being said, I do not want to buy a Taylor, I already have two. I will buy one if no other guitar can swoon me, but I find that hard to believe. I just don't want to be a Taylor guy or fan boy, I like to have unbiased opinions.

*edit*
I do not know what woods I like, my ear has leaned towards mahogany and koa, but I am inexperienced for sure.
The guitar does not need to have a cutaway but does need to go at least to the 14th fret
I do like the guitar to be a little bit of a looker, but not gaudy
I am looking for a unique guitar in tone and looks
I am not trying to emulate existing music but am creating my own style

The guitar company that has so far impressed me the most, however, is Santa Cruz guitar company. I have only played 3 of their guitars ever, but I was very impressed. They are quite difficult for me to locate as many of the guitar shops do not carry this lesser known brand. In comparison videos I have seen Santa Cruz vs Taylor and Martin, and they just have this tone that evokes nostalgia.

I am looking for any advice and recommendations I can get, and I understand that this is not a quick decision but a journey to find my first guitar of this caliber.

If I could create questions based off the thoughts above they would be.
Can anyone convince me on a Martin tone? or are they just not for me?
What do you think about Santa Cruz guitar company?
What are some brands that are neither Martin or Taylor that I should definitely look into?
What are some mistakes I should avoid?

bbarkow 06-29-2015 10:46 AM

There are certainly a lot of makers to choose from but, based on your statements above, you may want to put Gallagher on your list of guitars to audition.

SFCRetired 06-29-2015 10:56 AM

good luck in your search. I don't recommend guitars with that budget because there are so many great ones. If you wanted a porch or beginner guitar that would be different.

But you can get a great guitar for less than 3K. About 1 to 1.5K less to be exact.

Others might like to know

1. What music do you play

2. You say performing. Is this on a professional level?

I was one of those who used to say I didn't care for Martins. Now that I can afford one and I actually tried them out, I will never be without a Martin. Period

My next high end purchase will be a Gibson.

Zegie 06-29-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElipse (Post 4550756)
I have, or at least will have when it comes to buying the guitar, a $3000 budget for buying an acoustic guitar.

I plan on this guitar being my main instrument, it will be what I perform with on most occasions.

I currently own a 12 string, which I already love, and a GS mini, which I also love but bought for the purpose of traveling and practicing on the go.

I am a fan of the Taylor sound, or at least I think I am. I have played both Taylors and Martins in stores and there is just a certain shuffle of the strings that makes me blush when I play a Taylor and chords that just absolutely shimmer. I have seen videos on youtube comparing various types of Taylors and Martins and I just prefer the Taylors. I really want to like a Martin, but I think I need to be pointed in the right direction. I have tried what I have said but I am buy no means an expert.

That being said, I do not want to buy a Taylor, I already have two. I will buy one if no other guitar can swoon me, but I find that hard to believe. I just don't want to be a Taylor guy or fan boy, I like to have unbiased opinions.

The guitar company that has so far impressed me the most, however, is Santa Cruz guitar company. I have only played 3 of their guitars ever, but I was very impressed. They are quite difficult for me to locate as many of the guitar shops do not carry this lesser known brand. In comparison videos I have seen Santa Cruz vs Taylor and Martin, and they just have this tone that evokes nostalgia.

I am looking for any advice and recommendations I can get, and I understand that this is not a quick decision but a journey to find my first guitar of this caliber.

If I could create questions based off the thoughts above they would be.
Can anyone convince me on a Martin tone? or are they just not for me?
What do you think about Santa Cruz guitar company?
What are some brands that are neither Martin or Taylor that I should definitely look into?
What are some mistakes I should avoid?

Blow $2000 on a trip to Europe and spend the rest on a Yamaha A3R - the perfect gigging guitar IMHO.

See you in London.
😎

TheElipse 06-29-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFCRetired (Post 4550770)
good luck in your search. I don't recommend guitars with that budget because there are so many great ones. If you wanted a porch or beginner guitar that would be different.

But you can get a great guitar for less than 3K. About 1 to 1.5K less to be exact.

Others might like to know

1. What music do you play

2. You say performing. Is this on a professional level?

I was one of those who used to say I didn't care for Martins. Now that I can afford one and I actually tried them out, I will never be without a Martin. Period

My next high end purchase will be a Gibson.

I am already putting a fund for $3000 and like you said there are many great guitars at this budget, I am trying to figure it out.

1. I play my own music, I compose, and unfortunately my style is difficult for me to describe. I do finger picking, I strum, I play chords while playing the melody, and I do a lot of staccato single note picking as well. My music has influences from the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, but also John Cage and music of the middle east (specifically the oud taqsims) I added two plastic frets to my GS mini in order to play E half flat for the makam houzam.

2. I very much plan to perform on a professional level, I do not at this point.

architype 06-29-2015 11:08 AM

You might give Collings guitars a try.

Teleman52 06-29-2015 11:15 AM

you're in california, get yourself to a shop and try some out. Not shops like guitar center or sam ash, but real quality stores with real quality guitars. Maybe make a day of it on a saturday or something.

Based on what you said, i would go to gryphon strings and check out this particular guitar. Looks like a good deal on a guitar that, on paper at least, might be what you're looking for.
https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...axon_id=115391

However, california is a big state, im not sure if you're anywhere near Palo Alto or not.

Maybe put your general location up and someone could recommend a good shop to visit

I would look hard at used guitars, 3000 can get you an incredible guitar on the used market

Mickey_C 06-29-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElipse (Post 4550782)
I am already putting a fund for $3000 and like you said there are many great guitars at this budget, I am trying to figure it out.

1. I play my own music, I compose, and unfortunately my style is difficult for me to describe. I do finger picking, I strum, I play chords while playing the melody, and I do a lot of staccato single note picking as well. My music has influences from the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, but also John Cage and music of the middle east (specifically the oud taqsims) I added two plastic frets to my GS mini in order to play E half flat for the makam houzam.

2. I very much plan to perform on a professional level, I do not at this point.

Buy a used 700 series guitar, take your pick, they're all over stores and the web under $2,000. Which leaves $1,000 for amplification.

Guest 1511 06-29-2015 11:25 AM

Why care about having 3 Taylors rather than 2 Taylors and something else? That doesn't make sense. It sounds like you're trying to avoid stereotypes but it's your money and you should buy what you like. You should go buy a Taylor 814. You don't see me giving a darn what people think about me owning 3 Gibsons. I buy what I darn well please and so should you.

If you want to see a large collection of SCGC guitars you'll need to visit Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz. The shop people there can be a bit intimidating but they do have a large collection of said guitars.

jetcode 06-29-2015 11:31 AM

My recommendation is as follows:

1) Take your time before spending your money. In fact take 6 months and during that time get your hands on as many guitars that you can. Spend time with each one and find out what you like and dislike. Keep notes during your quest.

2) Be open to used guitars. You will get more bang for your buck on the used market providing you can get access to a lot of guitars.

3) Pay attention to body style, how various woods sound, and what you need to be comfortable playing a guitar. I went through 5 Lowden O's before realizing they are uncomfortable for me to play.

4) The money is going to burn a hole in your pocket. Since this guitar is going to be your main guitar how is it better than what you already have?

5) Forget brand and brand allegiance. Go after the guitar that blows your mind not the guitar that others will recognize as a nice guitar.

TBman 06-29-2015 11:33 AM

Try a Taylor 522, then see if it bothers you to own 3 Taylors, lol. They are a great sounding guitar. With your budget though, there are a lot of guitars to try out. Take your time and bring a friend to act as a listener.

architype 06-29-2015 11:39 AM

Don't forget:

Huss & Dalton

Froggy Bottom

Bourgeois

McPherson

Lowden

drplayer 06-29-2015 11:51 AM

At that price point--if you're open to considering used as well as new--your options are almost limitless. There are many, many excellent guitars of all different sizes, shapes, woods, makes, etc. available. The guitar makers you've mentioned are all excellent and all have strong followings. I will say that if your limit is $3K, you will have to consider used if you want a Santa Cruz or a guitar from another relatively small/boutique builder; otherwise, they are pretty much out of the equation.

Also, it will be an exhaustive search unless you can narrow down your requirements/preferences a bit. What size do you like? What woods? Do you need electronics? Do you need a cutaway? Are you fussy about neck geometry? Do you like a plain looking guitar, or one with a little bling?, etc., etc., etc. So I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't know the answer to these questions--or at least some of them--it will be impossible for any of us to even take an honest stab at it. As always, the best thing is to simply play as many different guitars as you can--even if that requires a little road trip.

If you really like the Taylor sound, there is no shame in being a "fan boy"...one likes what they like. You shouldn't pass on a Taylor you like simply because it's a Taylor, any more than you should buy a Taylor just because it is one. But, if you are adamant about not getting another Taylor, the first thing that popped into my head was a used Bourgeois OM. Not that they sound or feel like a Taylor--they don't--but those I've played have leaned closer in that direction to my ear than a Martin, Gibson, Collings, or Santa Cruz. But, my suggestion is simply one for your consideration...I'm just throwing it in the mix of countless other possibilities. Good Luck!

martingitdave 06-29-2015 12:01 PM

Play as many guitars as you caqn get your hands on. It's a big budget and you'll want to make sure you've narrowed it down before pulling the trigger. Hopefully, one will likely jump out, grab you by the collar, and lead you out of the store.

Chedeng88 06-29-2015 12:15 PM

With that budget I would look into used Goodalls, especially that your ears prefer the modern Taylor tone.