The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Humidipak Recharge Experiment (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201477)

Acoustic Dano 12-06-2010 02:31 PM

Humidipak Recharge Experiment

Just for grins I placed all 3 spent Humidipaks (hard as a rock) in a large plastic zip lock bag with a large damp sponge for a week.

Guess what? They came out with the same jelly-like texture as when new out of the protective (airtight) wrap.

Am I on to something here that the Mfgr. doesn't want me to know about?

Makes sense if they humidify and de-humidify as well.

The pak liner does not appear any worse for the wear. Gonna be curious if they work like new back in the case. I also wonder if they are filled with the same absorbing crystals that are used in the Oasis brand humidifiers. or am I over analyzing?

Comments?

Howard Emerson 12-06-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Dano (Post 2433336)
Just for grins I placed all 3 spent Humidipaks (hard as a rock) in a large plastic zip lock bag with a large damp sponge for a week.

Guess what? They came out with the same jelly-like texture as when new out of the protective (airtight) wrap.

Am I on to something here that the Mfgr. doesn't want me to know about?

Makes sense if they humidify and de-humidify as well.

The pak liner does not appear any worse for the wear. Gonna be curious if they work like new back in the case. I also wonder if they are filled with the same absorbing crystals that are used in the Oasis brand humidifiers. or am I over analyzing?

Comments?

Dano,
Let's see if they cover the damage after the explosion occurs............

HE

Acoustic Dano 12-06-2010 03:27 PM

Maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Emerson (Post 2433366)
Dano,
Let's see if they cover the damage after the explosion occurs............

HE

Good Point!

brad4d8 12-06-2010 03:55 PM

My humidipaks solidified in the dry winter, rejuvenated in the humid summer.
Brad

miteemike3 12-06-2010 05:47 PM

Interesting observation which more or less confirms my own findings.

I've been using my humidipak for over a year now and am still on the original set of packs. I keep a damp DIY wet sponge "humidifier" in the small storage compartment in the case and let the humidipack either absorb or release moisture as it needs to. Checking the moisture content in the sponge every few weeks has been working really well for me so far- and at over a year, it's been working great. And I keep my guitar stored next to a heater!

For those with rock hard humidipaks, try the cheapo damp sponge in the case and allow the humidipak to do its thing :up:

Acoustic Dano 12-06-2010 06:47 PM

Longer

Quote:

Originally Posted by miteemike3 (Post 2433578)
Interesting observation which more or less confirms my own findings.

I've been using my humidipak for over a year now and am still on the original set of packs. I keep a damp DIY wet sponge "humidifier" in the small storage compartment in the case and let the humidipack either absorb or release moisture as it needs to. Checking the moisture content in the sponge every few weeks has been working really well for me so far- and at over a year, it's been working great. And I keep my guitar stored next to a heater!

For those with rock hard humidipaks, try the cheapo damp sponge in the case and allow the humidipak to do its thing :up:

I have to imagine the sponge in the case thing would take longer to re-humidify the Humidipak, wouldn't it? Maybe start with spongy HumidiPaks and then let them self-regulate?

Maybe?

markerbeacon 12-06-2010 09:03 PM

Good to find another with similar findings. Thanks!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ight=humidipak

gltr 12-06-2010 11:28 PM

I am dealing with 90% humidity. Any ideas on how to remove moisture from the humidipaks?

Wally 12-07-2010 08:12 AM

Seems I remember someone on the forum drying them in the microwave

Steve Christens 12-07-2010 10:46 AM

From reading their patent (US5936178) the active in the pouch is a gel formed from an aqueous solution (containing salt or sugar) and a gel forming material such as sodium alginate (from seaweed).

The only problem I would anticipate in reusing them is that eventually the preservative may fail and the alginate could break down. When that happens the gel-like material could instead be more like a free liquid, which would certainly be more of a leak hazard. But if you rehydrate the pouch and it still squishes - go for it!

Acoustic Dano 12-07-2010 11:35 AM

Sounds Good

To Me! I'm going for it

chrimess 02-23-2011 10:04 AM

Humidipak Recharge

I have used two sets of Humidipaks all dry Carolina winter to water my Taylor GS7 and the replenishment works like a charm. I also get consisten humidity readings and no leaking or smell.

bobio 02-23-2011 10:12 AM

I guess this is one of those ymmv things but what I have found is that Humidipaks are MUCH better at absorbing moisture than they are at releasing it.

What has worked well for me is to use Humidipaks during the months when humidity is high and Oasis humidifiers in the months when humidity is low.

This strategy has worked out very well for me to the point where I stopped obsessing about humidity ;)

Scotfasco 02-23-2011 10:18 PM

This is very interesting. I'm in Las Vegas and go through 1 set per month per guitar for 4 guitars during the winter months. Probably average about 2 months per set in the rest of the year. I just ordered 10 replacement sets. It gets pretty expensive. I think I might give this a try. It's dry out here. Thanx!!

chrimess 02-24-2011 09:22 AM

Vegas Conditions

Scot.
I am confident that you will be able to rehydrate the packages even in desert conditions quicker than they dry out in the guitar cases. I have gone through 3 replenishment cycles and feel that the packs are at 100percent.
I use filtered water to soak paper towels and put it in a ziplock bag with the dryed out bags.
To a previous comment about the packs being better for de-humififying than for humidifying: my hygrometer gives me constant readings either way.