The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NGD Yamaha AC5R REVIEW (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499345)

Ruppster 02-07-2018 07:48 AM

NGD Yamaha AC5R REVIEW

Well...I thought I could upload the pics using IMGUR but it's not working. Sweetwater sent me a set of hi-res pics of my new guitar but I cannot seem to get them to load using the same method I used with my Photobucket account. Anyway, here's a link to those pics. Seems like a lot of guitar for the money, should be here Friday.

https://imgur.com/gallery/oMNE3

BrunoBlack 02-07-2018 08:21 AM

Very nice guitar. Congratulations.

Here are a couple of your pictures.

https://i.imgur.com/xiWANuGh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0KQEGu6h.jpg

Ruppster 02-07-2018 08:35 AM

Thanks, Paul. I see you are a charter member, as am I. Doesn't that enable some kind of easier method to post pics? If so, can you share it? Thanks.

BrunoBlack 02-07-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppster (Post 5631038)
Thanks, Paul. I see you are a charter member, as am I. Doesn't that enable some kind of easier method to post pics? If so, can you share it? Thanks.

Hi, charter membership makes no difference. I just clicked on your link to open your Imgur album, then selected each image, then “Copy Link” for each and posted each using “Go Advanced” option (yellow mountains at top of AGF) BTW, to size you can insert S, M, L, or H right before “.jpg” - I used H for Huge thumbnail.

baw3 02-07-2018 09:00 AM

Nice looking Yamaha. I'm sure you will be happy with it. I have been looking at the A5R. I owned an A1R for a while but sold it cause I was going to buy another guitar. The A series are really nice guitars. Let us know what you think of it.

Ruppster 02-07-2018 09:01 AM

With the exception of sizing it I thought I did the same thing as you. Obviously pilot error on my part. Thanks for your help. Cheers.

martingitdave 02-07-2018 09:16 AM

I love these guitars. If they had them in 1-3/4" nut width, I think I'd have one for gigs. The pickup system is excellent.

noledog 02-07-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 5631080)
I love these guitars. If they had them in 1-3/4" nut width, I think I'd have one for gigs. The pickup system is excellent.

+1…Auraish electronics, nice guitar, congrats!

Cap'n Spanky 02-07-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppster (Post 5630986)
Well...I thought I could upload the pics using IMGUR but it's not working. Sweetwater sent me a set of hi-res pics of my new guitar but I cannot seem to get them to load using the same method I used with my Photobucket account. Anyway, here's a link to those pics. Seems like a lot of guitar for the money, should be here Friday.

https://imgur.com/gallery/oMNE3

Hope you love your AC5R! I looked at a AC3R the other day and it was my favorite of the sub-$1,000 guitars I played. I even liked it better than a Taylor 214 I played that day.

I'm looking for an all around reasonable priced guitar that -
1. sounds great plugged in,
2. and sound great recorded with a mic. (this is my only question mark with the AC3R).

I played electric for many, many years and I think that's why I'm drawn to guitars like the AC5R/AC3R.

Best of luck with your new Yami! I bet you're gonna love it.

Kruton 02-07-2018 01:11 PM

These are great guitars! Enjoy!

sstaylor58 02-07-2018 02:09 PM

Beautiful Yamaha... I just picked up an FSX730SC and I love it! Enjoy!

CASD57 02-08-2018 07:32 AM

Got the A3M, very happy with it...The next step up would be the A5M or R Looking forward to that day :)

Chickee 02-08-2018 10:54 AM

Hey Ruppster,
Really happy for you on this NGD, really envious too I'm sorry to say. I've been itching for this very guitar. I am a big fan of the Yamaha A series guitars and this model is exactly what I am hoping my next purchase will be.
I'm betting it brings many years of enjoyment to you! Tell us more about your experience getting to know it, plugged in and natural, if you have the time.
All the best!

Ruppster 02-08-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickee (Post 5632291)
Hey Ruppster,
Really happy for you on this NGD, really envious too I'm sorry to say. I've been itching for this very guitar. I am a big fan of the Yamaha A series guitars and this model is exactly what I am hoping my next purchase will be.
I'm betting it brings many years of enjoyment to you! Tell us more about your experience getting to know it, plugged in and natural, if you have the time.
All the best!

Thanks, I have four very different gigs next week so that will be a good test. I hope to lock myself up with it, my gigging rig, my J45 custom and Martin GPCPA1 to do some side by sides at the house this weekend. Fun project to look forward to...

Ruppster 02-09-2018 02:56 PM

My new Yamaha AC5R was delivered today. Fortunately, the temperature was about 60 degrees so I didn't have to wait to open it. Some first impressions:

- Workmanship, fit and finish are outstanding. As good as or better than my more expensive guitars. About what you'd expect from Yamaha. The wood binding is very attractive and the aged spruce top is just beautiful and is aged using a patented process by Yamaha that, according to them, gives a warmer, deeper tone. Warmer and deeper than what they don't say.
- Playability. Was surprised how low the action is right out of the case. That, combined with the neck shape, remind me of playing my Taylor. I like the action lower so I think it's a plus but I feel some players will not care for it.
- Tone. Unplugged tone falls somewhere between Taylor and a OM Martin. Not quite as jangly as a Taylor and maybe a tad more bass than an OM. It comes with Elixers, which I'll change out for some D'addario J16's sometime soon.
- Plugged in. This is where the guitar comes to life. There are four small, unmarked knobs on the top of the guitar. One controls bass, another treble, one is a volume knob and the fourth is the magic knob. You can choose between two mic models, either a Neumann U 67 or Royer R-122, by pressing the knob then turning it to blend it with the piezo pickup. Truly a simple process that works very well. There is also an automatic feedback buster that may be the best I've used. Unlike the Aura system on my Martin GPCPA1, you don't have to hunt down the offending frequencies, the guitar seems to do that for you. I took the guitar down to my local certified guitar tech and he couldn't get it to feed back, which amazed him. That's not saying it can't be done, just that he couldn't do it in the confines of a crowded music store.
- Price. This guitar has a street price of $1,399. For that much money it is an amazing value for the money. Hand made, quality materials, innovative features, all from a company known for making solid musical instruments.

The below are of the actual guitar and were sent to me by Sweetwater when the guitar finally arrived. Because of the Rosewood issue and CITES these will not be hanging in too many guitar shops. If you come across one it's worth playing if for no other reason than to see what $1,399 gets you as opposed to its American counterparts. (This from a proud Gibson, Martin, Taylor owner).

Thanks for letting a proud new owner sound off for a bit...now back to playing.
Cheers.