The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How to glue guitar nut (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190113)

Hendra 07-24-2010 09:20 AM

How to glue guitar nut

Hi all,

I am planning to re-install the Yamaha factory nut on my Yamaha LS16 as the bone she's currently having seems to be sloppily installed. Quick question:

1. What kind of glue to be used for the nut, super glue or any special glue needed.

2. In which side of the nut to apply glue; is it on the lower end of the nut or on the side of nut facing the guitar neck ?? or is it both??

Thanks for any input

Regards,

Hendra

Opa John 07-24-2010 09:33 AM

A couple drops of Elmer's white glue will suffice. Don't use more than two little drops. And put them on the side of the nut, facing the fretboard.

Actually, you don't really need any glue at all. The strings will hold the nut in position without glue. I've got one guitar that's been like that for over 20 years.....no problems at all with it.

johnnysain 07-24-2010 09:39 AM

I use Elmer's Wood Glue - I don't know how different that is from regular Elmer's. Probably not much.

backliner 07-24-2010 10:13 AM

Elmer's White Glue might be easier to knock off in the future if need be. Not sure about that though. Fingerboard area only also will help later if dissassembling becomes an issue.

JohnM 07-24-2010 10:16 AM

I normally use two really small drops of medium viscosity superglue on the nut/fretboard faces.

Hendra 07-24-2010 10:37 AM

Thanks all for the input.

I was able to find some white glue (those for woods) in my house. Just change the nut successfully. Will wait till it dried up before re-stringing.

Thanks again

Brackett Instruments 07-24-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendra (Post 2294701)
Thanks all for the input.

I was able to find some white glue (those for woods) in my house. Just change the nut successfully. Will wait till it dried up before re-stringing.

Thanks again

String it up, the strings will act like clamps as long as the nut fits right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnM (Post 2294674)
I normally use two really small drops of medium viscosity superglue on the nut/fretboard faces.

Me too, but some people frown when I tell them. Next time someone tells me not to use CA I'll tell them one of my heroes uses it too. ;);)

vintageparlors 07-24-2010 04:52 PM

I do as Woody B does.
Never had a problem nor complaint from the vintage parlor crew.

JohnM 07-24-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody b (Post 2294808)
Me too, but some people frown when I tell them. Next time someone tells me not to use CA I'll tell them one of my heroes uses it too. ;);)

Mighty Mouse uses CA too?!?! ROCK!!

Howard Klepper 07-24-2010 11:16 PM

Doesn't everybody?