The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin binding (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294363)

DRodgers 05-05-2013 08:05 AM

Martin binding

First off, I know aesthetics are secondary to tone, but are any of you upset that white boltaron is used on the standard series? I love Martin, so I'm not bashing. The extreme example would be the d-45. It is $10,599.00 msrp. How sad would it be to spend that money and have that binding. I know the older guitars have ivoroid, which I think looks better.

Zigeuner 05-05-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRodgers (Post 3460015)
First off, I know aesthetics are secondary to tone, but are any of you upset that white boltaron is used on the standard series? I love Martin, so I'm not bashing. The extreme example would be the d-45. It is $10,599.00 msrp. How sad would it be to spend that money and have that binding. I know the older guitars have ivoroid, which I think looks better.

I'm not certain whether Ivoroid was ever made from vinyl but I do know that the original version was made from nitrocellulose base. Although I agree that it is prettier than the Boltaron, if it is nitrocellulose, it has a number of negative issues associated with it.

It is highly flammable. This is not much of a problem for a guitar that is kept in its case or away from flame, although I've seen cigarette burns on Martin guitars. There is however a big problem storing it in a factory and working with it. It's dangerous when storef in large quantities in one place.

It also has a time limit on it. After 50 years or so, it will deteriorate. Even before that, it can crack and need replacement due to the solvents with which it's made drying out.

None of this applies if they are using Ivoroid that is made from Vinyl. I really don't know so I can only guess. Vinyl makes a perfectly good substitute for nitrocellulose, however.

So, there are probably more reasons why Martin and other companies have changed. In any case, I won't be paying $10,000 for any guitar. It's not in the cards for me. I've heard some great music played on D-18's and D-28's so I don't see any need for added bling with more glue and extra binding.

HHP 05-05-2013 08:15 AM

I don't think I've ever cared about the binding on standard series. I might care less about the backstripe but its close. Minor cosmetic details just don't mean much to me.

rmyAddison 05-05-2013 08:20 AM

I do not like the stark white Boltaron binding on the standards, much prefer the Iveroid that comes on the Marquis/VIntage/GE models etc.

Personally I prefer Tortoise binding over Iveroid and wood over all of them. But none of these binding are deal breakers to me if it's a great sounding guitar.

J Patrick 05-05-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zigeuner (Post 3460025)
I'm not certain whether Ivoroid was ever made from vinyl but I do know that the original version was made from nitrocellulose base.

...its still a celluloid plastic...

Landru 05-05-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

It's really country western-like, this white binding. I find it rather ugly, but what can one do? Both boltaron and ivoroid are second-rate bindings to me, but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder on this one. I listen to the tone of my Martin and find peace every time..

Landru 05-05-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyAddison (Post 3460033)
Personally I prefer Tortoise binding over Iveroid and wood over all of them. But none of these binding are deal breakers to me if it's a great sounding guitar.

I should've just let this quote be my response. As usual, Rich . . . .

000-18GE 05-05-2013 10:05 AM

Boltaron isn't a deal breaker for me but it comes awfully close and I'm really not one to be driven much by cosmetics.

muzz76 05-05-2013 10:10 AM

Ivoroid I don't love but I don't mind it either.

Bolatron pushes my tolerance a bit but it still wouldn't be a deal breaker on a great guitar.

Jim Owen 05-05-2013 10:44 AM

I'm with Rich and Paul. I grimaced when Martin swapped out the Tortoise bindings and guards in the 60s. Not a deal breaker, but not aesthetically pleasing to the eyes of this beholder.

AZLiberty 05-05-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

First off, I know aesthetics are secondary to tone, but are any of you upset that white boltaron is used on the standard series?

The White boltaron is the thing I like the least about my D-35.

Judson 05-05-2013 04:44 PM

The lowest priced Standard now has tortoise binding instead of boltaron or ivoroid ... D-18 ... another reason to love it! :up:

Landru 05-05-2013 05:25 PM

While we're on the subject, how much $ to change binding? Big deal or easy street?

Fngrstyl 05-05-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 3460528)
While we're on the subject, how much $ to change binding? Big deal or easy street?

If you build a guitar through there website it looks like from Ivroid to Rosewood, maple or walnut is about 150.00 more

And this is what my custom would cost $8,100.00 That was fun!

http://www.martinguitar.com/custom-s...ur-custom.html

Jim Owen 05-05-2013 05:40 PM

Hi Paul,
Big deal. Really big deal. Binding is put in prior to finish. The labor involved in taking the binding out cleanly and then replacing and sanding flush probably isn't even the worst part of the job. I think that the guitar gets refinished then.