The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What guitar's sound has most surprised you? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249180)

fullsmile 04-24-2012 12:36 PM

What guitar's sound has most surprised you?

I know that a lot of us kind of know what to expect from different guitars and surprises are not all that common. I recently purchased this guitar:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ght=joel+stehr

I bought it here on the classifieds mainly because I thought it was so darn good looking that the builder would know how to make sound also. I am always astounded when I play this guitar by the amount of low end that this guitar has. It is a very small and comfortable guitar so I play it all the time and it is ridiculous how much this guitar does at the lower register. It might not be for everyone and I am sure some people wouldn't like it as the highs are not super loud but I love the sound. More than anything else it just surprises me that Joel was able to get so much low end out of such a small guitar. I know atleast two other forum members have heard it since I am the third owner but it sounds nothing like you would expect. I have had atleast 5 people play it and they all get surprised. Any other interesting sounding guitars out there to try out?

71jasper 04-24-2012 12:47 PM

A Martin 000X1 a friend of mine bought as a beater. Sounds great, outstanding feel, just fun to play.

silvereagle48 04-24-2012 12:50 PM

My new Martin 000-15M. Really quite good.

Taylorman98 04-24-2012 12:59 PM

I would have to say a Martin M36/38... knocked my socks off... not what i was expecting.. Love it..

fullsmile 04-24-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvereagle48 (Post 3018686)
My new Martin 000-15M. Really quite good.

How do you like your cole clark? I know they sound great plugged in but what does it sound like unplugged?

Glennwillow 04-24-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullsmile (Post 3018669)
I know that a lot of us kind of know what to expect from different guitars and surprises are not all that common. I recently purchased this guitar:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ght=joel+stehr

I bought it here on the classifieds mainly because I thought it was so darn good looking that the builder would know how to make sound also. I am always astounded when I play this guitar by the amount of low end that this guitar has. It is a very small and comfortable guitar so I play it all the time and it is ridiculous how much this guitar does at the lower register. It might not be for everyone and I am sure some people wouldn't like it as the highs are not super loud but I love the sound. More than anything else it just surprises me that Joel was able to get so much low end out of such a small guitar. I know atleast two other forum members have heard it since I am the third owner but it sounds nothing like you would expect. I have had atleast 5 people play it and they all get surprised. Any other interesting sounding guitars out there to try out?

Hi Fullsmile,

That is a really cool looking guitar... I can see why you were taken with it. That looks like it would really be fun to play.

I think I was most surprised by the Taylor 12-Fret guitar I bought about a year ago -- nice full-spectrum sound for such a small guitar. And very easy on my arthritic finger joints, which was what I was looking for...

- Glenn

OnTheLedge 04-24-2012 01:35 PM

This one is on the low end of the quality spectrum, but....
I bought this guitar off CL for 80 bucks. It's a Yamaha FG-331 manufactured from '80-'81.... 000 size, mahogany back and sides, spruce top. I bought it to teach some of my middle school students to play. The thing sounds and plays great! It will be my new camping guitar.

TimberlineGuy 04-24-2012 01:38 PM

A SCGC 000 12-fret Braz. Blew my mind.

naolslager 04-24-2012 01:38 PM

Astounded.

Seagull S6 Mahogany Spruce

and now my

Recording King RD-27 Dreadnought.

p.s. The Yamaha FG-331 mentioned above is a great guitar.

fullsmile 04-24-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 3018710)
Hi Fullsmile,

That is a really cool looking guitar... I can see why you were taken with it. That looks like it would really be fun to play.

I think I was most surprised by the Taylor 12-Fret guitar I bought about a year ago -- nice full-spectrum sound for such a small guitar. And very easy on my arthritic finger joints, which was what I was looking for...

- Glenn

I just wanted a comfortable guitar and figured this was it. With the small body and bevel it couldn't be better. Glad you found the same thing.

Play2PraiseHim 04-24-2012 01:51 PM

My latest acquisition. A Taylor GS Mini Ltd Blackwood. I can't believe the power and projection and richness. It still amazes me that it is a laminate.

k.crabbe 04-24-2012 01:55 PM

My Recording King RP-06. I was becoming unsatisfied with the sound I was hearing from small guitars. The RP-06 has made me aware of what small guitars can do. Every time I pick it up I am surprised by the purity of the tone it produces. Very sweet.

tpbiii 04-24-2012 02:06 PM

I found our 1935 (restored) Gibson Jumbo to be a really good bluegrass guitar -- I often will now choose it instead of our 1935 D-28. The only other old Gibson that I ever found in this class was an old AJ.

Most (not restored) Jumbos are just too raw for good bluegrass rhythm.

If you get to play guitar in wide open traditional bluegrass, then you know the rhythm role is essentially aerobic. You also know that to tell how well a guitar will sound, you must judge it in context. So comparing the guitars by themselves really won't tell you much unless you are very experienced. Nonetheless, here is a comparison of the Jumbo to the Queen of Bluegrass Rhythm, a 1935 D-28.

Let's pick,

-Tom

HHP 04-24-2012 02:08 PM

My biggest surprises were the guitars I found I did not like. Had a chance to get a Collings D2 a while ago, had heard others and liked them, but I just couldn't like the one I looked at. Tried my Bourgeois at the same time and even though it was the first of that brand I ever played, bought in on the spot.

I've wanted a Gibson AJ for a long time, but every time I try one, I just can't pull the trigger. Must not be compatible with my DNA.

skatalite 04-24-2012 02:10 PM

The Yamaha FG and L series guitars, without a doubt.

And every Alvarez I've ever tried (and owned) has surprised me.