The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   bone nut and saddle on cheap guitar. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143413)

sorryma 01-07-2009 08:09 AM

bone nut and saddle on cheap guitar.

Anyone ever put a bone nut and saddle on a cheap guitar? I have a Alvarez Regent that sounds pretty good and was thinking of changing the nut and saddle to bone to see how it would sound. Any opinions?

Herringbone 01-07-2009 08:30 AM

Why?

If you like the way it's sounds now, I would say... why bother?1st I don't think the nut will make a difference at all. And I'm not sure the bone saddle I put on an old guitar made a noticeable difference to me. I'd invest the money into another guitar or strings. But that's me. :)

Tim

ljguitar 01-07-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorryma (Post 1705550)
Anyone ever put a bone nut and saddle on a cheap guitar? I have a Alvarez Regent that sounds pretty good and was thinking of changing the nut and saddle to bone to see how it would sound. Any opinions?

Hi SM...
The Regent name is applied to Alvarez guitars - some with solid tops and some with plywood. Which model is it?

If it's a solid top, and you are going to have it setup properly, then I'd spend the $25 and have a bone saddle put into it (or do it yourself). Bob Colosi at guitarsaddles.com sells bone saddles with good instructions as to how to sand it down.

The nut won't make enough improvement in the sound to warrant the expense. Changing saddles makes more difference than almost anything else you can do to improve a guitar's sound.

Reckless78 01-07-2009 08:46 AM

So, you say he gives you instructions on how to sand it down properly? Are there different sizes to order? Do you give them your make and model like ordering a car part?:D

ljguitar 01-07-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reckless78 (Post 1705613)
So, you say he gives you instructions on how to sand it down properly? Are there different sizes to order? Do you give them your make and model like ordering a car part?:D

Hi Reckless...
Yes, he has lots of sizes and materials available...

May I suggest you go to Bob's site and check out his selection (plus he will make them custom for the same price)...

Bob answers his phone (or returns his calls) promptly, and I have several saddles which were made by him. He's great to work with and has a great reputation among the forum members here.

Bob's site - click

PWoolson 01-07-2009 09:52 AM

I had an Alverez Regent (I didn't realize, as Larry pointed out, that the name was given to many different models), when I was in High School. Mine was a plywood top. I made a new nut and saddle from bone and it made a nice improvement in tone. I did it mostly for the experience in working on guitars. That guitar was my first real setup job.
As said, the nut won't make much difference in tone. But the plastic they use is so soft that the strings will carve the slots deeper, and make the action too low.

sorryma 01-07-2009 10:46 AM

It's a regent deluxe with a spruce(not laminate) top, probaly 1990's got for $50 needs a nut so I thought I'd replace with bone and do the saddle while I'm at it. The neck needs to be set so I'll do that at the same time. I was surprised at how good it sounds even with the problems it has. Bought it for camping and stuff. Gonna do the bridge pins too. Probably have $80 into it by the time all is done. Not bad far as I can see.
Thanx.

Five and Dime 01-07-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reckless78 (Post 1705613)

Yes, Bob Colosi gives complete, easy to follow instructions on how to fit-up and install one of his saddles. I recently installed one of his WAH Ivory saddles on my Larrivee. Prior to doing my installation, I spent some time researching how to do a guitar set-up, what to measure, what the measurements be, etc. I did a complete set-up including installing the new saddle in about 2 hours. It's not too hard to do, you can handle it.

riorider 01-07-2009 11:26 AM

Hi Sorry -- no changes to what everyone else has said. But coincidentally, I just bought (new) an Alvarez Regent Folk (RF20SM) with the solid mahogany top for a camping guitar.

I asked Bob about a bone saddle and pins, and he needed mine to measure. Didn't take 10 days, that was over the Christmas holiday time period. The pins were probably not needed, but I do like how they turned out. I'd like to have replaced the nut only because it's such an obvious cheap plastic, but didn't want to add cost of a luthier to set it up. The setup is great just as it came (from MF, online, btw).

The saddle, however, made a big difference. The tone is "rounder" - more full, and the sustain improvement is noticeable.

I plan on posting some pics on a short review of the RF20SM soon, but thought I'd pipe up and let you know that the saddle is a definite "yes". Bob's instructions are very clear, and if you follow them and take your time you'll be well pleased with the result.

Good luck!

rr

Reckless78 01-07-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 1705627)
Hi Reckless...
Yes, he has lots of sizes and materials available...

May I suggest you go to Bob's site and check out his selection (plus he will make them custom for the same price)...

Bob answers his phone (or returns his calls) promptly, and I have several saddles which were made by him. He's great to work with and has a great reputation among the forum members here.

Bob's site - click

Thank you sir. I'm glad this topic was posted. I know my Yamie Lamie probably sounds about as good as it's going to, but I thought that I might give this a try. Thanks again.

markm2553 01-07-2009 02:03 PM

If you are going to do the pins take a look at "hot Rods" bythe people that make jellyfish pics.

I got my first set to dress up my giging guitar, didn't really think it would make any difference in sound, but it did. I now have them in three of my guitars.

Jim_O'F 01-07-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorryma (Post 1705550)

I did years ago with the old Samick I still own, and while the guy also set it up properly so that would have made a difference, it was like a different sounding guitar worth several hundred dollars more.

It cost me $60 about 12 years ago and I'd do it again.

sharkydude50 01-07-2009 03:09 PM

If you play mostly open cords I say do the nut (in bone) too. If you barre mostly, then skip it.

TBman 01-07-2009 07:04 PM

I put a bone saddle in my Washburn D-10S. It helped the tone alot.

guitar_stringer 01-07-2009 07:07 PM

In a word, yes. It will make a difference.