The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   NUPD-BOSS TU-2 tuner... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490418)

Yamaha Man 11-23-2017 05:13 AM

NUPD-BOSS TU-2 tuner...

New used BOSS TU-2 tuner pedal, accurate to within 3 cents. It does a great job of tuning my guitar, I like it.

KevWind 11-23-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Maniac (Post 5545546)
New used BOSS TU-2 tuner pedal, accurate to within 3 cents. It does a great job of tuning my guitar, I like it.

Used one for years now, great pedal nice especially as it shuts off the sound for tuning and the lights make it easy to tune on dimly lit stages and for these old eyes. I alway used it for my acoustic gig rig in front of my my outboard preamp. Now it sits in the first position on my pedal board

https://i.imgur.com/a5ZFP8Z.jpg

Dru Edwards 11-23-2017 09:17 AM

Congrats!

I bought my TU2 8 years ago or so. It's been on my board ever since. Great to use as a mute option.

YamahaGuy 11-23-2017 03:29 PM

I'm happy with my TU3 as long as I remember to use chromatic mode. And I use mine as a through--mute with my volume pedal.

rockabilly69 11-23-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5545727)
Used one for years now, great pedal nice especially as it shuts off the sound for tuning and the lights make it easy to tune on dimly lit stages and for these old eyes. I alway used it for my acoustic gig rig in front of my my outboard preamp. Now it sits in the first position on my pedal board

https://i.imgur.com/a5ZFP8Z.jpg

You should seriously consider taking the TU2 out of your main signal flow. Although they are GREAT tuners, they alter tone. How do I know this? I own 2 TU2 tuners and a TU3w, and have experienced the tone change with many different rigs. Some people like the tone but you should listen with it in and out.

The optimal way to reduce the effect, is to put it in a loop, on an A/B switch, or the tuner output of a buffered volume pedal. If you're not interested in doing that switch you can switch to a TU3w (wazacraft) that has improved true bypass circuit or an improved buffered output that is better when driving multiple pedals.

Boss knew of the complaints TU2 users had about the tone change so they redesigned the pedal. And from my personal experience the TU3w is an improvement, it is really true bypass! And it has has a high visibility option for those sunny outdoor gigs where the TU2 is hard to read! On my boards where the Tu2 is not in the main flow it works great.

Yamaha Man 11-23-2017 07:55 PM

I've read about some people having problems with the TU3 such as sudden drop outs during a live gig and wish they had their TU2 units back because they were so reliable.

rockabilly69 11-24-2017 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Maniac (Post 5546310)
I've read about some people having problems with the TU3 such as sudden drop outs during a live gig and wish they had their TU2 units back because they were so reliable.

I've had no problems with the TU3w (which is a different tuner than the stock TU3). And like I said, I like the TU2 tuner, I own two of them, but the TU3 has an improved true bypass which I appreciate. And I've had two TU2 failures but my equipment takes a beating being on the road constantly. Honestly though, my post was more of getting the tuner out of the signal path as pictured in Kev-Winds post. On my newest pedal board, my Grace Alix preamp has a dedicated tuner out, and on my main board I have a tuner out on my Ernie Ball volume pedal. It wasn't until I got the tuner out of the signal path that I noticed the difference in tone. And read up on tone suck with TU2s you'll see there's many people that have had the problems I experienced.

KevWind 11-24-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockabilly69 (Post 5546196)
You should seriously consider taking the TU2 out of your main signal flow. Although they are GREAT tuners, they alter tone. How do I know this? I own 2 TU2 tuners and a TU3w, and have experienced the tone change with many different rigs. Some people like the tone but you should listen with it in and out.

The optimal way to reduce the effect, is to put it in a loop, on an A/B switch, or the tuner output of a buffered volume pedal. If you're not interested in doing that switch you can switch to a TU3w (wazacraft) that has improved true bypass circuit or an improved buffered output that is better when driving multiple pedals.

Boss knew of the complaints TU2 users had about the tone change so they redesigned the pedal. And from my personal experience the TU3w is an improvement, it is really true bypass! And it has has a high visibility option for those sunny outdoor gigs where the TU2 is hard to read! On my boards where the Tu2 is not in the main flow is works great.

Interesting. I will certainly give it a test run to check out if I can hear a tone difference. Thanks ,Kev

rockabilly69 11-24-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5546565)
Interesting. I will certainly give it a test run to check out if I can hear a tone difference. Thanks ,Kev

As I said, some people like the change it brings (typically thinner, and brighter), others don't. And also compare with it at the beginning of the chain, and at the end!