The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   [NGD] Well, I have officially joined your ranks... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473647)

Winzzy 06-17-2017 11:19 AM

[NGD] Well, I have officially joined your ranks...

I walked into a pawnshop on a whim the other day and saw a RainSong Shorty FT on the wall. Years ago I had been very interested in RainSong guitars and had the chance to play a couple of the classic models but had given up on getting one because of the cost.

Anyways long story "short", the Shorty just spoke to me and called me back. After some pretty aggressive haggling, I ended up picking up for about $760 before tax and couldn't be happier. :D

A new set of strings and Lucille is singing like I didn't think CF guitars could. Great tonal balance, clear bell-like ringing. I love her.

Does anyone have tips on how to clean an SFT, I am concerned that cleaning compounds will mess up the finish. Also, has anyone tried the Access Stage 5 bag for a Shorty? I know the Stage 1 is popular but I want something a little harder for a packed trunk.

Thanks!

jdinco 06-17-2017 11:53 AM

Welcome to the ranks, sure looks like you got a great deal on the Shorty. How could you go wrong with that ! I just used a mild mixture of dawn (couple drops) and water if it was really dirty and towel dry it. Enjoy !

NoodleFingers 06-17-2017 12:09 PM

The FT is the satin finish, right?

I have a very similar guitar, the Concert model with the shorty neck. But mine is the gloss finish. I give it a good going-over with Windex and a paper towel every time I change the strings (fretboard too). That's all it's ever needed, and every time I do, it looks as new as when it came out of the box.

I can't guarantee that Windex will be as kind to your satin finish as to my gloss. But I really can't imagine that it would cause any damage or fail to evaporate completely.

Good luck! And enjoy your RainSong. I love mine.

Frettingflyer 06-17-2017 12:19 PM

Congrats on a great deal on the Shorty. I use the Access stage 1 and like it for weekly air travel, but I have not checked it in. That said, I have had hands on the stage 3 bag and I can't imagine it not being enough to protect your shorty. Of course, it weighs twice what the guitar does, fwiw.

J.R. Rogers 06-17-2017 01:16 PM

Congrats on the new CF! If you want a really rugged bag, I'd look at the Reunion Blues Continental bag. These bags supposedly will protect your guitar from a 1 story drop and they have a bunch of youtube videos demonstrating so you don't have to. The grips are very padded and it's water resistant too. The downside is that the bag is a little heavy. The smaller classical bag may be more appropriate for the shorty.
https://www.amazon.com/Reunion-Blues...gig%2Bbag&th=1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR285,285_.jpg

JR

steelvibe 06-17-2017 01:23 PM

Welcome!

Welcome to the fold! We have fun around here and find ourselves with just as much GAS problems as those who have yet to discover the world that composite brings. What a deal on that guitar :)

I own a gloss model but the tips for cleaning already mentioned should work just fine, but if you really want to find out what RainSong would do in your situation you could reach out directly (don't worry, RS customer service is great and Dave in particular has been a pleasure to work with as he has sent me replacement screws when one of mine stripped out).

http://www.rainsong.com/support.html#contact

String choice is huge with the Shorty and I encourage you to try many brands as you are financially able, especially round core strings if you like to play fingerstyle. It will amaze you how playable they feel and how warm they sound.

Captain Jim 06-17-2017 02:26 PM

Congrats and welcome aboard! Sounds like you made a really great buy! I bought an Access Stage 1 bag and added a neck rest for the Shorty. The "small classical" bag is a great fit. If I were doing it again, I would buy the Stage 3 bag which comes with a neck rest and is considerably more padded/firm/protective than the Stage 1.

I can't be any help with cleaning the FT (Fine Texture) finish, as mine is all gloss.

The Shorty was my first carbon fiber purchase... for me, it turned out to be a "gateway" guitar: I've bought two more CF guitars since then. I've learned to never say never, but I can't imagine any new wood guitars in my future... yeah, the CF offerings are that good.

Enjoy!

cc407 06-17-2017 02:57 PM

I use the Taylor hard bag for my WS size. I think the bag may fit the shorty OM body even better. Might have some extra room at headstock end but probably not too much.Great hard bag at about $100 retail.
Plus I love when other guitarists ask to see my Taylor and I open it to show CF!

Guest 928 06-17-2017 03:04 PM

I second the captain's recommendation. I've found Access bags to be high quality and priced reasonably.

kramster 06-17-2017 03:35 PM

Nice buy and welcome to the cool innovative fun side.

Winzzy 06-18-2017 10:49 AM

Thanks all for the warm welcome and information!

Finger Stylish 06-19-2017 03:01 PM

Great buy!

Try the 12-54 Martin Retro's when you need new strings. Give them a day or two to act right and you will have a great combo.

Windex is my go to cleaner on my Rainsong.(sometimes spit);)

Winzzy 06-19-2017 04:06 PM

Ha! I had just asked about strings on another thread. I will make sure to try them on my next string change.

I did notice that dead strings seem to have a more pronounced impact on the tone for my shorty over my traditional wood guitars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finger Stylish (Post 5380159)
Great buy!

Try the 12-54 Martin Retro's when you need new strings. Give them a day or two to act right and you will have a great combo.

Windex is my go to cleaner on my Rainsong.(sometimes spit);)

Earl49 06-19-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc407 (Post 5378189)
I use the Taylor hard bag for my WS size. I think the bag may fit the shorty OM body even better. Might have some extra room at headstock end but probably not too much. Great hard bag at about $100 retail. Plus I love when other guitarists ask to see my Taylor and I open it to show CF!

That extra room could be used for your in-case humidifier. :D:D

I love my Taylor hard bag -- especially because it is tan in a sea of black gig bags. It has replaced the original thermoplastic hard case that came with my 414ce in 2001. But I have not seen a new one available for less than about $125, or I might buy a spare. Right now my Rainsong WS-1000 is in the Taylor hard bag. Purely luck of the draw as the Taylor's are hanging on my wall. Someone had to go into a bag when the wall hangers got full.

Res Ipsa 06-19-2017 05:15 PM

I'm with FingerStylish - using Martin's Monel Retro strings on my Shorty FT. Very happy with them. They warm up the sound in a nice way.

As for cleaning the textured finish of the FT, something that leaves no residue is best. Windex, dish soap, whatever. Stay away from wax products, they look terrible on a rough surface.