The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Gillander Guitars - Archtop Build (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668775)

GillanderGuitars 04-26-2023 01:54 PM

Gillander Guitars - Archtop Build

1 Attachment(s)
This archtop has been on the back burner for a while, but it’s time it starts to get some attention. I’ll post progress pictures as I make my way through the build.

GillanderGuitars 04-29-2023 04:30 PM

The rim assembled

1 Attachment(s)
Keeper lining and side braces attached. Still need flatten the area where the top and back are glued on, and bevel the tail block.

colins 04-29-2023 10:57 PM

Found more images on your Facebook page, including one of Dean Parks! There's a guy who's played on an album or two.

GillanderGuitars 04-30-2023 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by colins (Post 7240298)
Found more images on your Facebook page, including one of Dean Parks! There's a guy who's played on an album or two.

Ha! Yup, just a couple! I wish I got a video of him playing this cocobolo size 0 concert 12 fret, but at least I got a photo with him.

GillanderGuitars 04-30-2023 01:51 PM

Shaved a few pounds

1 Attachment(s)
The top is now graduated, and in the process, I made plenty of shavings to help get a few campfires started this summer.

GillanderGuitars 05-02-2023 04:55 PM

Carving the back

1 Attachment(s)
Carving maple takes some time, but it’s all in good fun! The outside lines of the back are starting to appear.

GillanderGuitars 05-06-2023 09:00 AM

New tool day!

1 Attachment(s)
Having the right tool for the job sure makes things easier! It also helps when they are as stunning to look at as they are functional. It doesn’t get much better than a handmade tool from Bob Benedetto.

colins 05-06-2023 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GillanderGuitars (Post 7242141)
Carving maple takes some time, but it’s all in good fun! The outside lines of the back are starting to appear.

It occurs to me that you have carve the inside after this! That must be tricky work, but I guess that mini plane helps you to get in close.

GillanderGuitars 05-07-2023 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colins (Post 7244849)
It occurs to me that you have carve the inside after this! That must be tricky work, but I guess that mini plane helps you to get in close.

Yup, once the outside shape is established, the inside is carved to the appropriate thickness. The outside shape can still be refined to tune the plates after the body is closed up. Small convex planes definitely help make life easier along the way!

GillanderGuitars 05-11-2023 06:30 PM

Continued progress on carving the back

2 Attachment(s)
Here both sides of the back are now roughly carved.

GillanderGuitars 05-18-2023 01:06 PM

Cutting the F Holes

4 Attachment(s)
After making several templates with a laser cutter, I finally found one I liked. I then transferred the pattern to the top and hand cut the f holes. A little more clean up and they should be good to go.

GillanderGuitars 05-21-2023 01:36 PM

Brace yourself!

1 Attachment(s)
The start of fitting the x brace to a complex curve.

GillanderGuitars 06-25-2023 01:36 PM

XBrace

1 Attachment(s)
X brace glued in place. When it dries, it’ll be time to give them some shape.

colins 06-27-2023 01:48 AM

I admire your patience Chad. When I see the work of carving and then matching the bracing, I wonder why people started making guitars this way. A flat top seems so much easier! How did arch top guitars come about? Were they originally made by violin and cello makers (and excellent woodcarvers) that were diversifying?

Bluemonk 06-27-2023 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colins (Post 7275755)
I admire your patience Chad. When I see the work of carving and then matching the bracing, I wonder why people started making guitars this way. A flat top seems so much easier! How did arch top guitars come about? Were they originally made by violin and cello makers (and excellent woodcarvers) that were diversifying?

You can blame Orville Gibson, the namesake of the Gibson guitar company, for that.