The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Scale length (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503655)

OliveCorduroy 03-16-2018 06:22 AM

Scale length

hello all,

So I hear a lot about scale length...and I don’t really know the importance, other than some are shorter or longer with different guitars...I could use some help understanding the differences...thanks, George

Diggity 03-16-2018 06:37 AM

Shorter scale length makes for easier reaches when stretching for chords, etc. – – it also makes for a little less tension on the strings which affects the feel and can make a difference when strumming/playing more aggressively... there may be more buzz possible with aggressive playing though, and it might affect top end volume/projection... That’s my understanding at least!

HHP 03-16-2018 06:37 AM

The scale determines the distance between the frets and the tension of the string at standard tuning. Shorter scales make multi-fret reaches easier and the string are under a little less tension. Longer or standard scale tends to give you more power and projection in the sound. The difference can be subtle so you just have to try them to see which suits you better.

KarenB 03-16-2018 06:42 AM

Play guitars with different scale lengths and you'll feel the difference.

Mr. Jelly 03-16-2018 06:50 AM

Sound wise the short scale chords will sound a little more harmonious. Longer scale chords have more of an individualized note separation.

Personally I would call any scale above 24" and below 26" a normal scale.

nedray 03-16-2018 07:20 AM

Google 'scale length on guitar' and you'll find resources with a lot more and more accurate information than here. It's one piece of a complex set of calculations and philosophies that interact with other pieces (such as bracing, neck profile, tone woods, number of frets, bridge placement, body size and shape, and on and on) to affect tonal character and playability. Just like nut width and some other folklore, it's not especially useful taken in isolation. But, yes, a shorter scale length will place the frets slightly closer to each other, which MIGHT make stretches easier and MIGHT make strings easier to bend and MIGHT make the tone a little squishier. But not necessarily...

rokdog49 03-16-2018 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nedray (Post 5670791)
Google 'scale length on guitar' and you'll find resources with a lot more and more accurate information than here. It's one piece of a complex set of calculations and philosophies that interact with other pieces (such as bracing, neck profile, tone woods, number of frets, bridge placement, body size and shape, and on and on) to affect tonal character and playability. Just like nut width and some other folklore, it's not especially useful taken in isolation. But, yes, a shorter scale length will place the frets slightly closer to each other, which MIGHT make stretches easier and MIGHT make strings easier to bend and MIGHT make the tone a little squishier. But not necessarily...

This "seems" to be my general experience.
Easier to play stretch chords
Easier to bend notes
Easier to fret notes i.e. Less pressure required to play a clean note.
Tendency to have string buzz when played hard.
Tone is "squishey" only when played hard.

Loss of volume or projection is way to subjective to comment on.

Jim in TC 03-16-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggity (Post 5670739)
Shorter scale length makes for easier reaches when stretching for chords, etc. – – it also makes for a little less tension on the strings which affects the feel and can make a difference when strumming/playing more aggressively... there may be more buzz possible with aggressive playing though, and it might affect top end volume/projection... That’s my understanding at least!

Easier for me, and I have gone over to short scale but some others have reported that it feels 'crowded' or some such. It is a very individual thing, and as always it is interesting to play the different guitars and scale lengths to see how it works for the individual.

jaymarsch 03-16-2018 08:18 AM

Like many things related to guitar, scale length is a another ingredient in the overall recipe for getting the tone and feel that you want in a guitar. I have two guitars that have 25.4" scale lengths. One is a 12 fretter with a 1 and 3/4" width at the nut and the other is a 14 fretter with 1 and 11/16ths at the nut. They both have low profile necks.

I recently purchased a 14 fret guitar with a 25.5" scale length and 1 and 13/16ths at the nut . It is a slightly larger guitar than the other two and I find that the neck is just not something I can adapt to. It is probably not due solely to the wee difference in scale length but along with the other specs, it has a feel that my fretting hand just doesn't like. A bit of arthritis is playing a role as well. I am planning on selling this beauty since it took me a few months to determine that ergonomically the guitar is not for me. It has such fabulous tone and balance that I wanted to make it work!

I met with the builder of the guitar and I have commissioned him to build me the same model with different neck specs and we decided on a 14 fret 25" scale length. I considered a 12 fret short scale but after discussing the variations with the luthier, he felt that the 14 fret model would give me more projection and punch.

All this is to say that scale length cannot be meaningfully addressed without bringing other factors into the equation. Some folks like the longer scales for dropped tunings so they can have enough string tension without increasing string gauges. Lots of ingredients available to get your musical soup to sound and play to your liking.

Best,
Jayne

Rosewood99 03-16-2018 08:35 AM

Capo down one and tune back to standard tuning and that will give you an approximation of what a short scale is like.

mercy 03-16-2018 08:39 AM

SL is the length from nut to the 12th fret X 2, not from nut to saddle. I prefer the sound of 25.4 but have to play 25 due to wrist problems. For me there is a huge difference between the two.

Earl49 03-16-2018 08:49 AM

I play on everything from 27.8" (baritone) to 25.5" to 24" or regular steel strings, my twelve string was custom ordered with 24.6" scale for comfort, and even shorter scales on ukulele. If I had to choose one scale length for overall comfort and playability, it would be 24.75" give or take.

With a shorter scale, the strings are slightly looser when tuned to a given pitch, which helps with the easier feel. As was mentioned, you can easily experiment by tuning down each string one-half step to Eb and putting a capo on the first fret. This will give a scale length of about 24.1" for a 25.5" scale guitar.

jaymarsch 03-16-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercy (Post 5670886)
SL is the length from nut to the 12th fret X 2, not from nut to saddle. I prefer the sound of 25.4 but have to play 25 due to wrist problems. For me there is a huge difference between the two.

How would you describe the difference in the sound? Is there a loss in projection and volume or something different with the shorter scale?

Best,
Jayne

rct 03-16-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antaren (Post 5670745)
Play guitars with different scale lengths and you'll feel the difference.

Play them both regularly a little longer and you won't feel the difference.

rct

Guest 728 03-16-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rct (Post 5671080)
Play them both regularly a little longer and you won't feel the difference.

rct

I find the opposite to be true. Whenever I switch between my short- and long-scale guitars, there's always a moment or two of adjustment. I vastly prefer short (24.75").