The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What does "NATO" mean in regards to a guitar neck (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119872)

darylcrisp 03-02-2008 05:36 PM

What does "NATO" mean in regards to a guitar neck

I've saw some cheaper guitars with NATO necks, backs sides?

thanks
Daryl

Ranger1964 03-02-2008 06:49 PM

From the internets:

Nato - Nato wood, also known as Eastern Mahogany, is a reliable, strong wood used on guitar necks. It is a value-priced wood used more for beginner instruments. However, it still embodies all of the properties of more commonly used mahogany

Now like Daryl I'm curious what this means. Is it more prone to warping, does have a less rich sound than mahogony? Are there some fairly common guitars that use this wood?

Bob Womack 03-02-2008 06:53 PM

I have a thirty-four year old guitar with a NATO neck that is absolutely stable. It's not as pretty as mahogany, but it is plenty stable. The coloration reminds me of Spanish cedar.

Bob

darylcrisp 03-02-2008 07:08 PM

The old Yamaha Nylon I just reconditioned has the NATO neck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 1402644)
I have a thirty-four year old guitar with a NATO neck that is absolutely stable. It's not as pretty as mahogany, but it is plenty stable. The coloration reminds me of Spanish cedar.

Bob

And I tell you, it plays great. This is a cheap Yamaha built between 1960 something and 1970 something. It looks to have an aged spruce top, and by records agithis sides/back(I may have spelled that wrong). It plays nice, stays in tune, is fun. It spent the past 12 years in a barn loft in its case. Needless to say it was dirty and had an ugly smell, but its come out of it shiny and neat. I'll post some pictures soon.

Thanks for the info Bob
Daryl

lalowdwn1 03-02-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re17 (Post 1402591)
You could just put "nato wood" into any search engine and see what you find. (Sorry, I would normally answer the question but it's not hard to track this one down at all.)

Richard

Exactly the kind of comment that is starting to make this forum such a drag...why else do you think it is here??

rlouie 03-02-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 (Post 1402687)
Exactly the kind of comment that is starting to make this forum such a drag...why else do you think it is here??

are you talking about the search mode or the forum itself ?????????????

lalowdwn1 03-02-2008 07:37 PM

The forum itself...that type of elite rudeness is getting out of hand.

Keep in mind that fora are not static...different people contribute/visit at different times...so things said in the past are not always the best information.

usb_chord 03-02-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 (Post 1402705)
The forum itself...that type of elite rudeness is getting out of hand.

Keep in mind that fora are not static...different people contribute/visit at different times...so things said in the past are not always the best information.

So true. Why even bother taking the time to post if all you're gonna do is give a long winded refusal to help someone..

lotech 03-02-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usb_chord (Post 1402725)
So true. Why even bother taking the time to post if all you're gonna do is give a long winded refusal to help someone..

Well, I'd normally tell you, but . . .

:wink: :D

mediumstrings00 03-02-2008 08:39 PM

I just bought a beginner uke made out of all nato wood...seems pretty stable to me thus far. I once read that it was quite similar to mahogany.

Namu177 03-02-2008 08:49 PM

Hello all.

There is a wood called Nyatoh. When I lived in Indonesia I remembered something about this type of wood. Though not spelled "NATO," perhaps it is close enough.

Here is a link to a site about this type of wood in the furniture building context: http://www.teak-outdoor.com/about_nyatoh_wood.htm

I hope that this little bit might shed some light. I didn't wan't to contribute unless I can "add" to the discussion.

Respectfully submitted.

MuzicMaKen 03-03-2008 12:06 AM

Takamine uses Nato Wood in some of their line of guitars....

MattJohnPaul 03-03-2008 01:17 AM

Just when I start thinking I know about all the woods i find a thread like this... I love this forum! :D:D:D

re17 03-03-2008 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darylcrisp (Post 1402633)
Its not all just about me.

I know, but it's not hard to find out what nato is using a search engine, and then ask what people's opinions are on its properties, but you didn't seem to take the first step. I'm not normally someone who says people should make a bit more of an effort, and I don't think my original post was rude at all, but there it is.

Richard

wthurman 03-03-2008 05:21 AM

Speaking of NATO, let's all make like Peacekeepers, eh? ;)