The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   leaving guitar in cold (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16234)

12strings 01-27-2003 08:00 PM

leaving guitar in cold

Hey, what would happen if i left my laminate guitar out in my car for say, 5-6 hours at 10 degrees Farenheit?

if i left it in the case the whole time, and then waited a long time before remocing it from the case, would it be hurt?

(reminder: laminate guitar)

-andy

Steve314 01-27-2003 08:47 PM

Well, what do you think would happen if you were left in a car when it was 10 degrees outside?

Seriously, a general rule of thumb is this: if you wouldn't be comfortable in a particular environment, odds are that your guitar wouldn't, either.

While you would react to the cold by blowing on your hands, rubbing your upper arms, etc., your guitar doesn't have these options, so it reacts in other ways, and none of them are good...

Steve

matt 01-27-2003 09:02 PM

one of my friends keeps his guitar in his trunk all the time...we will get into his car and the thermometer will read over a hundred in the car in the summer and the lowest i can remember seeing in the winter is like 15 or so...he has a laminate guitar (the same alvarez that i have)...when he first got his guitar it sounded just as good as my alvarez...but now after a year or so of what he subjects it to, it sounds like crap while mine still sounds the same...even though he dosent change strings on his guitar (he has had his telecaster for 8 years and it still has the original strings that fender put on it in the factory), he had to a little while back because one of them had broken...it took some doing, but i convinced him to change them all instead of just the one that broke...i was hoping that it would sound good again...nope...still just as crappy but with some new strings...

so the moral of the story..never leave your guitar anywhere where you arent comfortable...only bad things can happen

Hondo 01-27-2003 09:24 PM

A friend of mine had a Gibson that he left in his car when it was 10 degrees F. The finish cracked and looked like a windshield in an accident. It was weird.

I know no good thing comes from prolonged exposure to any extreme. You're right to leave it in the case until it returns to room temperature, though.

Pipsqueak 01-27-2003 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve314
Well, what do you think would happen if you were left out in the car....
shrinkage....not cool.

and not just your geetar. :eek:

matt 01-27-2003 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pipsqueak

shrinkage....not cool.

and not just your geetar. :eek:

anybody catch the irony here...a guy named pipsqueak talking about shrinkage?.. :D