The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What to use to harden fingernails? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192661)

billgennaro 08-25-2010 04:57 PM

What to use to harden fingernails?

what would you guys/gals recommend for keeping fingernails strong? is there a good nail enamel or hardener that is better than the others? thanks in advance.

bill

mstuartev 08-25-2010 06:50 PM

Glucosamine. Seriously, while it helps your joints, it also is suppose to make your nails hard as... nails. I've tried Hard as Nails (the polish stuff) never did nothing for me except improve my nail polish application technique

JohnZ 08-25-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstuartev (Post 2326705)
Glucosamine. Seriously, while it helps your joints, it also is suppose to make your nails hard as... nails. I've tried Hard as Nails (the polish stuff) never did nothing for me except improve my nail polish application technique

Where do you get it?

SimplyLuo 08-25-2010 07:26 PM

The folks at the delcamp forum often recommend Onymyrrhe and a cream called "Hard as Hoof"
I just got some of the Hard as Hoof from walmart, we'll see how it goes..

I also saw OPI Nail Envy recommended quite a bit

00016SRGT 08-25-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 2326733)
Where do you get it?

Glucosamine is a dietary supplement, available at most any drugstore or vitamin shop. You have to take it everyday for weeks, if not months, before obtaining any benefit, real or perceived. Or, you could try eating a lot of Jell-O...

I'm going to try getting fiber nail wraps applied on my right hand, at a women's nail salon, if I can get up the gumption to do it, since once my nails get long enough for effective finger picking, they tend to break.
I'll report back here to let you know how it works out.

pgilmor 08-25-2010 07:35 PM

this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but hardness-wise, i always notice my nails go bad when i'm not eating a good diet with fresh fruits and vegetables. as a supplement though, i do eat lots of jello. i think it helps them grow faster.

gary0319 08-25-2010 07:45 PM

My wife put me onto NuetraNail , Total Nail Care. It is a brush on liquid and it seems to work quite well. I tried the Hoof cream and I was not able to keep up with the needed applications. The NuetraNail is a good for about 3 weeks on my nails, then nail polish remover it off and apply a new coat.

The only drawback is that it makes your nails shiney, so one shiney hand, one dull.

dpoirier 08-25-2010 07:56 PM

Along the lines of "hard as hoofs", I had found some threads about a product called Hoofmaker (from a company called Mane 'n Tail). This is actually a product sold in horseriding specialty shops, and its primary purpose is to strengthen and toughen up horses' hooves. A side benefit (and side usage) of the product is that it supposedly hardens nails. I kid you not, this is for real.

I tried it for a few months, and never saw any serious benefit. It also smells funny, and was driving me nuts, so I gave up. A few months with one hand smelling funny is punishment enough. I'm going to learn to play with flesh / fingertips. Hard nails were not in my genetic build, I guess...

If someone saw any real benefits from anything, please share.

Misifus 08-25-2010 09:17 PM

I have been having acrylic put on my nails for years now. The result is nails that are tough as nails. I no longer fear zippers or pull tabs. It took me a little to explain to the nail techs exactly what I want and that I'll take care of the underside of the nails (the part that contacts the strings), that all I need from them is the basic structure.

-Raf

shortymack 08-25-2010 09:40 PM

Milk, it does a body good.

billgennaro 08-25-2010 11:18 PM

thanks guys. i appreciate the help.

bill