The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Beauty And the Beast (Martin content) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323706)

Steve Berger 01-02-2014 06:43 PM

Beauty And the Beast (Martin content)

Kind of cool in SoCal today so I stoked up the fireplace and spend some time playing my first Martin and my most recent Martin (notice I did not say 'last' Martin) :)

The dread is a '69 D-35 with a Sitka top and Brazilian back and sides. She is affectionately called The Beast' 'cause she can roar.

The OM is my OM-45 that I got and posted about recently. She's a beauty that's for sure. Truth be told I think my old dread is beautiful too.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...ps10f5f78e.jpg

darylcrisp 01-02-2014 06:47 PM

nice

very nice guitars, well taken care of
very nice fireplace as well

bet that was one awesome day
d

rmyAddison 01-02-2014 06:56 PM

Steve,

Man you are rich!!!

To be able to use guitars like that for firewood....wow!!

Beauty and the Beast indeed, very nice "pairing" my friend, would love to play both of them. I'm with you, plain (standard, GE, Authentic) or all dressed up (40 series) a great Martin is judged by it's voice not it's face.

So how do you like your CS OM-45? I recently tried a round of 13's on my gits because my latest (OM-18A) came with them, and I thought what the heck lets try some, and I really like them on my OM-45 (tuned down 1/2 step).

Great guitars, very nice fireplace....happy picking my friend ;)

Steve Berger 01-02-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyAddison (Post 3758667)
Steve,

Man you are rich!!!

To be able to use guitars like that for firewood....wow!!

Beauty and the Beast indeed, very nice "pairing" my friend, would love to play both of them. I'm with you, plain (standard, GE, Authentic) or all dressed up (40 series) a great Martin is judged by it's voice not it's face.

So how do you like your CS OM-45? I recently tried a round of 13's on my gits because my latest (OM-18A) came with them, and I thought what the heck lets try some, and I really like them on my OM-45 (tuned down 1/2 step).

Great guitars, very nice fireplace....happy picking my friend ;)

Hey Rich, I'm really loving the OM-45 and have been spending most of my time these days playing her. I hope to record a song with her in the near future.

I saw your recent thread about '13 string sets and found it interesting. I experimented around briefly with adding a .13 on the first string (on a light set) on my Goodall and my other Martin OM, and I experimented with using True Mediums on the other OM for playing in DADGAD and Open D & G.

However I found it didn't work for me. The only exception is I do use a full medium set on 'The Beast" as I keep it tuned down a whole step (D - D) for strumming and singing!

Oh and I 'only' use Koa and occasionally African Blackwood (when I can find it) for firewood. :guitar:

StephenHD35 01-02-2014 07:16 PM

That 35 looks pretty nice. Congratulations.

Treenewt 01-02-2014 07:26 PM

Beautiful pair of Martins you have there! Quite the change up I'd imagine going
From one to the next. Enjoy!

Methos1979 01-02-2014 08:13 PM

Nice guitars, but I have to ask... what is your definition of 'kinda cool' in SoCal? I ask because I'm in New Hampshire where it's a balmy -2 right now with a blizzard raging outside and a forecasted 12 to 18 inches of snow by tomorrow. Tomorrow night's temps are down around -20.

So, when I read that it was 'kinda cool' in SoCal it made me want to drive to your house and beat you to death with those beautiful guitars! ;)

Okay, I probably wouldn't do that. Maybe with the fireplace poker though, so I could just keep the guitars! :D

fazool 01-02-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 3758752)
Nice guitars, but I have to ask... what is your definition of 'kinda cool' in SoCal? I ask because I'm in New Hampshire where it's a balmy -2 right now with a blizzard raging outside and a forecasted 12 to 18 inches of snow by tomorrow. Tomorrow night's temps are down around -20.

Monitoring the school closings right now, so the kids can decide whether to pack for ski club or not

Bucc5207 01-02-2014 10:21 PM

Verrrrrrrrry nice!

veryzer 01-02-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 3758873)
Monitoring the school closings right now, so the kids can decide whether to pack for ski club or not

Your schools aren't on break until next Monday?

We just weathered this storm. Now comes the ridiculous cold snap!

noledog 01-02-2014 10:30 PM

Beautiful Stevee B.! :up: havin' fun on FB with you and Jeremy too bro. :D

The Growler 01-02-2014 10:38 PM

Very nice pair.

It was what 70? :)

Steve Berger 01-03-2014 08:02 AM

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. As for it being 'cool' in SoCal, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek!