The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Problem Using H4 as an Audio Interface in Garageband (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151518)

Steve Berger 04-10-2009 12:10 PM

Problem Using H4 as an Audio Interface in Garageband

I'm having problems getting started using my H4 as an Audio Interface with Garageband on my iMAC.

I'm fairly certain that I have the connection and all of the setting configurations correct, and yet I cannot get any sound from the H4 into GB.

(I do see the input meters attenuating on the H4, but not in GB.)

So I'm wondering if the problem might be that the sampling rates are not matched on the H4 and in GB. If that is the problem, I have not been able to determine how to change the sampling rate in GB.

Or maybe it is something else.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Operators standing by!

Fran Guidry 04-10-2009 12:45 PM

I don't have an H4, but I'm looking at the Samson/Zoom site.

Mac OS X 10.2 or higher?

Upgraded firmware on the H4 to 2.1 or higher?

Plugged in with the power on the H4 off (this saves a few steps)?

Selected Audio I/O on the Zoom?
Set the sample rate on the Zoom?
Clicked Connect on the Zoom?

All these from page 80-81 of the manual.

I don't have a Mac so I don't have any idea what the interface looks like on that end, but have you seen evidence of the H4 in your audio selections? The H4 may have replaced your built-in audio device as the default, or you may have to make this selection in one or more places.

And, not to be a pedant (OK, OK, I'm totally pedantic <grin>) meters don't attenuate. To attenuate is to make smaller.

Fran

Steve Berger 04-10-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

I don't have an H4, but I'm looking at the Samson/Zoom site.

Mac OS X 10.2 or higher?

Upgraded firmware on the H4 to 2.1 or higher?

Plugged in with the power on the H4 off (this saves a few steps)?

Selected Audio I/O on the Zoom?
Set the sample rate on the Zoom?
Clicked Connect on the Zoom?

All these from page 80-81 of the manual.

I don't have a Mac so I don't have any idea what the interface looks like on that end, but have you seen evidence of the H4 in your audio selections? The H4 may have replaced your built-in audio device as the default, or you may have to make this selection in one or more places.

And, not to be a pedant (OK, OK, I'm totally pedantic <grin>) meters don't attenuate. To attenuate is to make smaller.

Fran
Hi Fran . . . thanks for trying to help!

The answer is YES to all of your check points. I'm using both the on-line GB manual and the H4 manual and believe I am doing everything correct.

"Attenuate" was the wrong term. What I was attempting to communicate is that when I tap my finger on the mics on top of the H4, the meters move on the Input Level window on the H4, but not in GB . . . and also not in the iMAC System Preference - Sound section where it shows that I have selected the H4 as the Sound Input device.

So, I'm kind of at a loss here.

Fran Guidry 04-10-2009 03:48 PM

Can you transfer files? If not, perhaps it's a cable issue.

Fran

Chicago Sandy 04-10-2009 04:04 PM

Have you selected a "USB device" rather than the audio-in port as your source in GarageBand? Just askin'. AFAIK, no Mac drivers are necessary (though the unit comes with Cubase LE). The Cubase LE insert that came with my new H4n (the unit's manual is on a CD-R) instructs Windows but not Mac users to download and install new firmware.

Herb Hunter 04-10-2009 04:13 PM

I'm using Audacity on a a Mac running OS 10.4.11. If I launch Audacity before switching the Zoom H4 to the interface mode, Audacity will connect to Built-In Audio even if H4 Audio is selected in the preferences menu. It could be that GarageBand also needs to have the H4 set to the audio interface mode before launching GarageBand.

Steve Berger 04-10-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Can you transfer files? If not, perhaps it's a cable issue.
Yes I can.

Quote:

Have you selected a "USB device" rather than the audio-in port as your source in GarageBand? Just askin'. AFAIK, no Mac drivers are necessary (though the unit comes with Cubase LE). The Cubase LE insert that came with my new H4n (the unit's manual is on a CD-R) instructs Windows but not Mac users to download and install new firmware.
USB device?

Here is what I see in my Garageband:
Preferences >
Audio/MIDI >
- System Setting
- Built-in Microphone
- Built-in Input
- H4 Audio IN (when H4 is connected vis USB)

What am I missing? Is there another menu I should be using?

Quote:

'm using Audacity on a a Mac running OS 10.4.11. If I launch Audacity before switching the Zoom H4 to the interface mode, Audacity will connect to Built-In Audio even if H4 Audio is selected in the preferences menu. It could be that GarageBand also needs to have the H4 set to the audio interface mode before launching GarageBand.
I've done it both ways; connect and set the H4 to Audio Interface BEFORE and AFTER opening GB.

Still cannot get it to work!

Steve Berger 04-10-2009 05:17 PM

Hey is there a Garageband Forum out there where I can post this and maybe get some answers? I'm aware of the Logic Pro Forum, but not sure about GB.

Thanks!

ljguitar 04-10-2009 07:01 PM

Hi GG (Steve)...
I have an H4 that was doing what yours was today - and I recently had upgraded my Mac to system OSX 10.5.6

So I went here...
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h4.php and it told me my system on my H4 was not current (I read the update list and compared it)

When you turn on the H4, it tells you which version of the software you have in the upper left hand corner of the screen (quite short by the way).

I then went to the page I listed and downloaded the appropriate upgrade (there are 4 options, so you must download the proper one to install).

I followed the directions, installed it, rebooted to be sure the upgrade was correct, and then shut off the power on the H4...
Then I plugged in the USB cable
Selected Audio I/O
Selected 'Connect'
Selected 'mic'

Launched Garage Band and told it new song
- Preferences H4 Input
- New Track (Real instrument, basic vocal)
- Turned off the metronome
- Selected record in the track, and I had an interface connection...(meter moved in the track when I tapped the H4 mics)
- Recorded a short track
- Created a 2nd track and overdubbed it...
- Checked and played with both tracks - and it all worked as expected

I suspect you may need to check your H4 version against the latest one listed on the page...latest is 2.30

Hope this helps...

ljguitar 04-10-2009 07:36 PM

Hi Steve...
Decided to test it with Audacity, and it works just as well with it too...

I did discover that the software wants the H4 plugged in and synced before launching the program (at least with Audacity). Then it is very straightforward operation from there.

Make sure your output is down, and if you are going to overdub that you have headphones or earbuds with a long enough cable to reach the computer unless you want the H4 to be the playback device (I opted to have playback through the computer output jack).

My computer is a MacBook - 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4 GB RAM
My garage Band is 3.0.5 version (new iLife arrives next week)...I will let you know if anything changes with the new iLife version...

Hope this helps...

Steve Berger 04-10-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Hi GG (Steve)...
I have an H4 that was doing what yours was today - and I recently had upgraded my Mac to system OSX 10.5.6

So I went here...
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h4.php and it told me my system on my H4 was not current (I read the update list and compared it)

When you turn on the H4, it tells you which version of the software you have in the upper left hand corner of the screen (quite short by the way).

I then went to the page I listed and downloaded the appropriate upgrade (there are 4 options, so you must download the proper one to install).

I followed the directions, installed it, rebooted to be sure the upgrade was correct, and then shut off the power on the H4...
Then I plugged in the USB cable
Selected Audio I/O
Selected 'Connect'
Selected 'mic'

Launched Garage Band and told it new song
- Preferences H4 Input
- New Track (Real instrument, basic vocal)
- Turned off the metronome
- Selected record in the track, and I had an interface connection...(meter moved in the track when I tapped the H4 mics)
- Recorded a short track
- Created a 2nd track and overdubbed it...
- Checked and played with both tracks - and it all worked as expected

I suspect you may need to check your H4 version against the latest one listed on the page...latest is 2.30

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the information. I have version 2.10 so it looks as if an update to 2.30 will do the trick.

Now the hard part (at least for me) is upgrading the software in the H2. I updated a few years back (to 2.10) but it wasn't easy. For whatever reason I have the hardest time getting the correct window to open up on the H4. Big All thumbs I guess. As always thanks for your help!

ljguitar 04-10-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGuy (Post 1809849)
...Now the hard part (at least for me) is upgrading the software in the H2. I updated a few years back (to 2.10) but it wasn't easy. For whatever reason I have the hardest time getting the correct window to open up on the H4. Big All thumbs I guess. As always thanks for your help!

Hi Steve...
It is very straight-forward.
  • Download the upgrade file to your computer...
  • Expand it...(it is in it's own folder)
  • Remove the card from your H4 and mount it via a card reader...it requires a card reader
  • Copy the system file inside your new folder to the root level of the H4 memory card (at the level with all the folders) It will be the only regular file with all the folders in the same level...
  • Put the card back into the H4
  • Hold down the center button in the postition the instructions indicate while you power up
  • Turn on the Power and wait...fresh batteries or power supply
  • When it's complete it will tell you - then just remove the usb cable and power up...

Steve Berger 04-11-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Hi Steve...
It is very straight-forward.
Download the upgrade file to your computer...
Expand it...(it is in it's own folder)
Remove the card from your H4 and mount it via a card reader...it requires a card reader
Copy the system file inside your new folder to the root level of the H4 memory card (at the level with all the folders) It will be the only regular file with all the folders in the same level...
Put the card back into the H4
Hold down the center button in the postition the instructions indicate while you power up
Turn on the Power and wait...fresh batteries or power supply
When it's complete it will tell you - then just remove the usb cable and power up...
Thanks Larry . . . Well I guess I'm off to Frys to get a Card Reader. Are all Card Readers pretty much created equal, or do you recommend a particular one or two?.

Steve Berger 04-11-2009 05:54 PM

Thanks to everyone (especially Larry / ljguitar) for trying to help me with this.

After finally being able to update the firmware in my H4 to 2.30, I was able to record my guitar via the audio interface function of the H4 into the Garageband program.

Now I've got a whole host of other issues trying to understand how to use GB, but I'll save those for another day (and another thread.)

Then again, I'll probably just keep recording with my Tascam DP-02 PortaStudio. It just seems so much easier and IMO makes pretty decent recordings.

Love the iMAC though!

Thanks again!