The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Sometimes the best tips for improving are SO obvious! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455455)

EllaMom 01-07-2017 04:12 PM

Sometimes the best tips for improving are SO obvious!

In my lesson yesterday I stumbled my way through a new song I'm learning under the guidance of my teacher. One measure in particular kept tripping me up. He suggested that I isolate just that measure, play it over and over again (slowly, with a metronome), until I can get through 10 tries without a mistake. So I did just that last night while watching some college basketball. And guess what....it worked!

Before, my method has always been to play the whole song through, over and over. Even though some sections are a piece of cake! Yet there I was practicing sections I didn't need to practice, at the expense of those that needed more attention.

It's funny how I need to pay someone to point out the obvious! ;)

Silly Moustache 01-07-2017 04:20 PM

My method to learn a new piece is to

1. Play it through until the first stumble.
2. Stop, work through to stumble - master it or change it.
3. Start again from the top, to next stumble.
4. Repeat 1,2,3 until all mastered.

EllaMom 01-07-2017 04:25 PM

I wish I was that good, Moustache! I typically stumble right out of the gate on a new song. :D

rick-slo 01-07-2017 04:25 PM

Yep, obvious.

Ryler 01-07-2017 05:56 PM

Obvious yes, but the willingness to practice that way is what's to be celebrated. Good for you.

EllaMom 01-07-2017 06:38 PM

Thanks Ryler. :)

Silly Moustache 01-08-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllaMom (Post 5184927)
I wish I was that good, Moustache! I typically stumble right out of the gate on a new song. :D

That's Ok - just keep doing what I wrote , but don't forget the option to simplify. It is better to do simple well than complicated poorly.

JonPR 01-08-2017 05:29 PM

Yes, it's obvious. But sometimes the problem is just the discipline: making yourself tackle the stumble enough times, and not give up.

Mr. Jelly 01-09-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5185795)
That's Ok - just keep doing what I wrote , but don't forget the option to simplify. It is better to do simple well than complicated poorly.

Great point! I start simply and go from there. Then I put in what I can easily do and reevaluate.

I've seen performers that can play anything, be asked to play a song at a show and play it. Though as a person being aware of the song etc. I could easily see it was played incorrectly. Even the words were not completely correct. Yet no one cared and every one was content with the song. I couldn't do what he did as he can play a song by just hearing it. Maybe not correctly but most people won't know it. He is talented. Everyone has to draw their lines some where.

Silly Moustache 01-09-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly (Post 5186616)
Great point! I start simply and go from there. Then I put in what I can easily do and reevaluate.

I've seen performers that can play anything, be asked to play a song at a show and play it. Though as a person being aware of the song etc. I could easily see it was played incorrectly. Even the words were not completely correct. Yet no one cared and every one was content with the song. I couldn't do what he did as he can play a song by just hearing it. Maybe not correctly but most people won't know it. He is talented. Everyone has to draw their lines some where.

I have no problem with changing key, tempo, arrangement, and lyrics to suit me. For 3-5 minutes that story is MY story, and I'll tell/sing it to best perform it for ME.

I NEVER copy but I am frequently influenced.

Myvalk 01-10-2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonPR (Post 5186148)
Yes, it's obvious. But sometimes the problem is just the discipline: making yourself tackle the stumble enough times, and not give up.

That's the problem I have. I work on part that needs work and if I don't get it right away I get disgusted put my guitar away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedJoker 01-10-2017 09:58 AM

I do both. Sometimes it's that measure that needs work, sometimes it's the transition into and out of that measure. In those cases, I'll just cycle through a larger section, but not the full song.

darrwhit 01-10-2017 10:41 AM

My best friend when working on a new song is this:
http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/imag..._sc7?$splssku$

I really mark up the tab for the first few days, bracketing off measures that are hardest for me, identifying phrases that repeat, circling notes that are easy to miss or mistake, etc. (And, BTW, the Pentel P205 pencil is the best. It's the Elliott capo of the mechanical pencil. Just sayin'.)

Myvalk 07-14-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrwhit (Post 5188006)
My best friend when working on a new song is this:

http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/imag..._sc7?$splssku$

I really mark up the tab for the first few days, bracketing off measures that are hardest for me, identifying phrases that repeat, circling notes that are easy to miss or mistake, etc. (And, BTW, the Pentel P205 pencil is the best. It's the Elliott capo of the mechanical pencil. Just sayin'.)

I've used those for drafting for years. Now I use CAD. [emoji17]

fazool 07-14-2017 09:02 AM

so, this year I dedicated myself to really challenging myself and learning really tough fingerstyle/classical pieces I've always figured were out of my reach.

These are songs I know well (which is very important) but I don't know how to play.

My method to learn them is to watch some tutorials, go over the tabs, etc.

Then I methodically learn & practice the first section. I mark my position on the tabs.

Then, next time, I go through the first and second section. Then I add the third , etc

So I never go through the whole song, ever. I always do it piecemeal - adding a bit onto what I've "mastered",

Now, once it starts getting long, I will selectively go back and repeat sections I trip up on.

But, instead of plowing through the whole song, try the first two measures. Then the first four measures, then six, then eight, etc.

Use whatever works for you but add on bit-by-bit.

This is just a method that works very well for me. Others may find other methods better for them.