The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   NEW Yamaha SLG 200 n (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394879)

ceciltguitar 07-21-2015 09:59 PM

NEW Yamaha SLG 200 n

has anyone here had a chance to play one yet?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...0n/?mode=model

ukejon 07-22-2015 06:05 AM

No, just the old one. This looks like fun. Would love to hear the quality of the Blend system.

ralphj 07-22-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 4577745)
No, just the old one. This looks like fun. Would love to hear the quality of the Blend system.

Here's demo of both the steel and nylon version by Guitarist Magazine:

The modeling mode sounds quite nice, I must say...

tidalstream 08-17-2015 06:52 AM

it's great

i've just taken delivery of the new SLG200N, it's great. With this model Yamaha have remedied a few shortcomings in the previous nylon-string silent guitars. The SLG200N has good string balance with a much better volume balance across the strings. The previous SLGs had very low volume on the bass strings.
The guitar is strung with medium tension strings, the top E string produces a rather 'thin' sound so I replaced it with a hard tension string.
The neck is 50mm, so it's a half-way-house between the old SLG130NW and the SLG110. The fretboard is flat. Classical guitarists may think the neck is a bit narrow, contemporary guitarist (like me) would prefer a rounded 48mm fretboard. Overall it's still very playable.
A truss rod is a new feature and is very useful.
The onboard tuner is a welcome addition. The onboard effects are good.
Overall fit and finish has improved also.
The gigbag is better padded than with previous models.
Overall, it's a a lot of quality for the money. (I'm starting to sound like a magazine reviewer)
I also like Godin Multiacs, they have the best fretboard ever and a strong sound, but the treble strings give quite a harsh brittle tone. The SLG produces a lovely soft warm nylon sound.

ceciltguitar 09-06-2015 01:57 PM

Thanks all for your responses!

Tidalstream, do you know what the neck thickness is?

tidalstream 10-13-2015 12:16 PM

Yamaha slg200n

the neck is 50mm

CCFingerstyle 10-13-2015 04:00 PM

Slg-200

I bought one of each (steel and nylon) and they are due in any day. I currently own the older version (SLG-110N) of the nylon and love it. Lots of "bang for the buck" in my opinion. I'll comment on the new versions when I have a chance to test drive them.

Chris

Taylor914 02-01-2016 03:09 PM

Yamaha slg200s

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCFingerstyle (Post 4674835)
I bought one of each (steel and nylon) and they are due in any day. I currently own the older version (SLG-110N) of the nylon an love it. Lots of "bang for the buck" in my opinion. I'll comment on the new versions when I have a chance to test drive them.

Chris

What are your thoughts on this guitar? I was looking at getting one. There are a few slg110s on eBay for 300 to 350 is it worth spending the extra and getting the slg200? Iversion been play for many years and have some great acoustics, Taylor 914ce for one however 8m after a travel guitar for my Cuba holiday in April 16. Any advice would be great.

CCFingerstyle 02-01-2016 08:31 PM

Thoughts on SLG200N v. SLG110N

I actually liked the older version (SLG110N) better. I mainly liked the electronics better in the old one, especially when played through headphones (the volume on the newer version was very limited…probably good for you, but I didn’t like the give up).

I liked the feel of the neck of the newer one ever-so-slightly better. The newer one also had an onboard tuner which is not really important to me, but that might appeal to some.

It’s a minor issue, but I also liked the on/off switch on the old one better (slide side-to-side other than push in and out). It was easier to tell if it was turned on or off. I suspect some people will accidentally leave in on with the newer version and drain the battery.

All and all, I would recommend a mint condition used SLG110N. If you ask 10 people this question, you will likely get 10 different responses. It is all mainly a matter of personal preference. They are both unique and fun guitars and represent great value for the money spent.

Red_Label 02-02-2016 12:36 PM

I had a 110 for a short time last year. It was a very nice-sounding, handy instrument. But I found that I much prefer the snap and punch of a real acoustic that's moving air, as well as the vibrations that come through the body. I prefer flamencos for nylon strings (or at least spruce tops on classicals). The 110 was just too mellow sounding for my tastes... but a very quality instrument for those who are looking for what it has to offer.

I haven't tried the 200 yet, but it sounds like it wouldn't be an improvement over the 110 for my particular needs.

JohnW63 02-02-2016 01:43 PM

Just got one a week ago. I am having a lot of fun with it. Does it sound just like a well built classical guitar ? Probably not.

JohnW63 02-02-2016 05:24 PM

The 200N does have a better pickup system than the previous models. The acoustic guitar modeling portion sounds less electric and twangy than the regular peizo pickup. Much more natural. You can blend the types as well. After messing with the knob, I am glad to have the SRT choice.

Mike Mandel 02-11-2016 11:30 AM

Just got a SLG200S

Such Fun to play at 2 -4am when everyone is sleeping.

Kind of bummed they took off the "Echo" effect from the SLG110s, but the new SRT modeling system sounds great

I had a SLG100N from 2003, and have always enjoyed that as well.

zhunter 02-11-2016 01:37 PM

Is anybody gigging one of these?

Thanks

hunter

stacol 02-21-2016 03:06 PM

Slg200n

Does anybody know what the total string spacing is on the Yamaha SLG200N?

i.e. at the nut, from the middle of the low E string to the middle of the high E string, in total (e.g. 42mm (or 1.65354 inches)).

I would appreciate to know this.