The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who makes Harbinger speakers? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113635)

semolinapilcher 12-11-2007 08:25 PM

Who makes Harbinger speakers?

They appear to be private label for GC. (right?)

Question is, how do they compare generally to like Mackie and JBL; are they any good?

If not I will probably mail order something else, as the GC sales dude was really pushing these. Probably higher margin for his commission, but I thought I'd post this just in case they're actually a good deal...

Herb Hunter 12-12-2007 07:44 AM

I don't think it is a house brand, as Musicians Friend and Music123 also sell them.

A poster on a Harmony Central forum said the company's products are unrelated to to a well regarded company of the same name that sold speakers designed by Mark Wayne, from the S.F. Bay Area a while back.

I've never heard of them before.

semolinapilcher 12-15-2007 06:25 PM

Bump.

Here is Harbinger's website, which has the look and feel of an offshoot of a larger company. Musician's Friend is Guitar Center, not sure about Music 1-2-3.

http://www.harbingerproaudio.com

I am leaning toward mail-ordering EV's but am not quite up the learning curve yet. I have gotten quite comfortable with setting up and operating PA equipment over the years but have never made my own purchase.

So... if anyone could recommend a good place to shop for PA speakers in the DFW that would be great. In the meantime I'll keep looking around and gleaning what I can.

Herb Hunter 12-16-2007 07:04 AM

Having owned a pair of Electro-Voice SX200s for almost ten years, I'm sure you won't regret choosing the brand.

rainsong 12-16-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hunter (Post 1333702)
Having owned a pair of Electro-Voice SX200s for almost ten years, I'm sure you won't regret choosing the brand.

Ditto! I have the sx100+'s as well as the new Zx1-90's. I love the EV sound, better than JBL in my opinion.

musicbydade 06-22-2011 10:53 AM

harbinger PA's manufac turer

when browsing this site I found this querry posted an deecided to research beginning with CGA corporate tracking back to BEHRINGER lol the harbinger units are made exclusively for GC though GC does sell bulk to come small chains

knuckle 06-22-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hunter (Post 1330526)
I don't think it is a house brand, as Musicians Friend and Music123 also sell them.

A poster on a Harmony Central forum said the company's products are unrelated to to a well regarded company of the same name that sold speakers designed by Mark Wayne, from the S.F. Bay Area a while back.

I've never heard of them before.

GC , MF, M123 are all owned by the Baines Group (Think Mitt Romney) therefore they are all essentially the same company.

franchelB 06-22-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semolinapilcher (Post 1333430)

So... if anyone could recommend a good place to shop for PA speakers in the DFW that would be great. In the meantime I'll keep looking around and gleaning what I can.

I DO know that Murphy's Music in Irving sells P.A.s Other than Murphy's, I think your best bet would be good ol' Guitar Center.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicbydade (Post 2661895)
when browsing this site I found this querry posted an deecided to research beginning with CGA corporate tracking back to BEHRINGER lol the harbinger units are made exclusively for GC though GC does sell bulk to come small chains

Another fairly reliable person said that Harbinger is manufactured by Behringer. And FWIW, I realize that there are some Behringer critics out there, but speaking from experience, Behringer DOES make some decent quality products. Personally, we bought a Harbinger powered monitor speaker (with the 12" speaker), for church use...and it does sound great for the price we paid for.

HudsDad 06-22-2011 05:48 PM

Wow, this is an odd thread to bring back after 3.5 years....