The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yamaha set up (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204174)

Myway 01-04-2011 12:35 PM

Yamaha set up

I have been reading with interest on the forum about guitar set up.
I have recently purchased a Yamaha FG 730s. One of the deciding factors in my purchasing the 730 was the good reports (playability low set up etc).
I have taken a comment from Larry J. on another thread Yamaha or Recording King? See below.
(Just about every guitar that is shipped to our area needs a setup right out of the shipping box. Yamahas have not been better than any others (though Alvarez have been the worst...don't know why).

(I have not seen much difference in regard to action for any manufactured brand - except Taylors - which are usually better setup than most others.)

My questions are as a learner of guitar,
How do I know if my guitar needs to be set up?
Is the standard nut (1 11/16”) on the Yamaha the best size for me?
Can I increase the size of nut?
Should I replace the standard nut with a bone nut?

Michael

dk63 01-04-2011 02:23 PM

It will need to be set up. I bought an FG700S and while I thought it was pretty good out of the box, I found out otherwise once I did get it set up right. I also installed a bone saddle in place of the stock plastic. As far as the nut, you may find as I have that it's comfortable to play, but I wish the nut was 1 3/4". You can't change that as far as I know since the fretboard is an integral part of that dimension.

emmonsh 01-04-2011 03:17 PM

you can change the nut width. lots of people have but best way is just to play it as it is. either a 11/16s or a 3/4 should be fine for a beginner unless you have huge hands. a bone saddle correctly installed and proper relief can do a ton for a guitar. most yamahas i have played have beed great right from the factory.

Michael T 01-04-2011 03:32 PM

Have both the nut & saddle done for the string gauge you select and personally I prefer WAHI but bone is good too. In changing them both you'll be sure and have the truss rod adjusted & height set for your style of play. I would also have the fret ends checked and crowned but that may be something that if acceptable now could wait a long time.
Talk to the person who is going to do the work, not the salesman or desk clerk and have him listen to you play so "he" or she has an idea what to set it at other than factory spec.

Ruston 01-04-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myway (Post 2466539)

My questions are as a learner of guitar,
How do I know if my guitar needs to be set up?
Is the standard nut (1 11/16”) on the Yamaha the best size for me?
Can I increase the size of nut?
Should I replace the standard nut with a bone nut?

Michael

The easiest answer to the first question is to take it to a reputable tech and ask them. If you'd like to know yourself there are very helpful articles on instrument setup at www.frets.com.

The second question you can only answer for yourself. The only way to really know is to play guitars with different nut widths.

If you are just starting out I wouldn't worry too much about anything past the setup. From my experience I can testify that focusing my attention on playing is a whole lot more satisfying than worrying about 1/16th of an inch difference in nut width. :D