The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   To hem or not to hem (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479875)

amyFB 08-15-2017 06:14 PM

To hem or not to hem

I am curious about the practice of having pants hemmed to fit you, rather than the generic model used.

There is something appealing to my eye when pants are hemmed to fall nicely and evenly at the ends of legs rather than bunch up in folds atop shoes and drag the ground at the heel.

That said, it's my eyes and I don't have to look - I know that!!

Just curious and this is a good sampling population of pants wearers, I suspect.

Long Jon 08-15-2017 06:22 PM

So Amy, you're asking if clothes that fit a person properly look better ?

I'm only a guy , but I'm gonna take a stab at this .... I think yes.

Acousticado 08-15-2017 06:23 PM

Unless I'm buying suit pants/trousers which always require hemming, I'm lucky to be of a height (5'-10-1/2") where virtually all pants fit me well right off the rack. My mother always had to hem my Dad's pants. He was short and nothing fit him unless altered.

All this said, it can be obvious when someone's pants don't sit well on the shoe and should be hemmed. It does look better in such cases.

Looburst 08-15-2017 06:29 PM

Yes, course I'm the kind of guy that even has my jeans and casual pants custom fitted. Not because I'm an odd size, I'm 6', but I just don't want my clothes to fit poorly.

mdunn 08-15-2017 08:13 PM

I prefer to Hem & Haw.

(idiomatic) (US) To discuss, deliberate, or contemplate rather than taking action or making up one's mind.

If you hem and haw long enough, someone else will do it first.

To mumble and procrastinate in one's speech, especially with a reply to a hard question or with voicing a decision on a topical matter; to evade a question, giving vague answers; to equivocate.

Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/hem-an...sefr7oZ5OV7.99

Tele1111 08-15-2017 08:47 PM

Yes. Nothing looks, falls just right at the shoe, or allows pants to "hang", like a tailored pair. Nothing. Changes everything.

Mark

amyFB 08-15-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Jon (Post 5445729)

I'm only a guy , but I'm gonna take a stab at this .... I think yes.

I am asking about the practice of hemming among the pants wearing members in AGF!

And stating my preference for the hemmed view over the unhemmed.

Long Jon 08-15-2017 09:11 PM

With a 36 inch inside leg, getting trousers taken up is rarely a concern of mine ! :)

cotten 08-15-2017 10:21 PM

Clothing sizes tend to be more an approximation than an exact measurement, so I never buy slacks without trying them on. For inexpensive, casual slacks, I keep trying until I find the right fit off the shelf with no alterations. For dress slacks and suit pants, I consider being properly fitted with a hem as a part of the purchase. Next question: turned up cuff or no cuff?

cotten

Ozzy the dog 08-16-2017 03:25 AM

I'm fortunate enough to have a 'shop sized' leg but If not, I would go with a yes. Not only do they look better but they don't get frayed and grotty under heel and they last longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Jon (Post 5445729)

Jon, Clothes that fit properly will always look better - anything else is just called 'Fashion' ;)

HHP 08-16-2017 04:08 AM

It depends. On dress pants I prefer a cuff and I want a small amount of break over the top of the shoe but straight and no drag at the back. For more casual, less break front but still some and no cuffs.

That said, the pants I wear most often are off the shelf khakis from Wal-Mart. The elastic waist keeps up with the rise and falls of my aging biology, they are super comfortable, and cost under $12 a pair. Any color you want as long as it is khaki or black.

Twelvefret 08-16-2017 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotten (Post 5445998)
Clothing sizes tend to be more an approximation than an exact measurement, so I never buy slacks without trying them on. For inexpensive, casual slacks, I keep trying until I find the right fit off the shelf with no alterations. For dress slacks and suit pants, I consider being properly fitted with a hem as a part of the purchase. Next question: turned up cuff or no cuff?

cotten

I tend to pretty traditional in dress and prefer cuffed slacks.

Honestly, I've been buying used pants off EBay for years. I no longer wear pleats, but I do like cuffs when I can find them. Reminds me of Roger Miller singing he smokes old stogies he has found, short, but not too big around. :D

Brucebubs 08-16-2017 05:43 AM

Never mind the hems, what about a belt?
Surely the pants half down is the dumbest fashion statement in the history of mankind.

Actually I love youtube clips of this fashion when 'bad boys' try to run.

ctgagnon 08-16-2017 06:09 AM

OP, are you asking about cuffs? All pants are hemmed.

amyFB 08-16-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctgagnon (Post 5446175)
OP, are you asking about cuffs? All pants are hemmed.

I am asking about paying to have pants hems altered after purchase to fit the legs of the wearer.

Cuff or not, isn't the question.

Skip over (make a new thread) For the boys with half mast approach.

This is all about a bunched up mess of fabric at the bottom of your legs, or not. The "not" being available for purchase at your nearby tailor for 10-15 per pair.

Now I have forced this idea into the forefront of your conscious - will it cause a change in anyone's thinking or doing? Don't do it for me, do it for you! Only if you want to.