The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Looking for information on Lyon guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326564)

jargey3000 01-24-2014 09:04 AM

Looking for information on Lyon guitars

Not Lyon & Healy, just Lyon. Anybody know anything about this name? Thanks.

roylor4 01-24-2014 09:44 AM

Low end made for Washburn, I believe. Cheap guitars.

Guest User 971 01-24-2014 09:49 AM

They are (or were at this time) a Chinese company pumping out guitars for Washburn. I think they also made the Disney guitars for toy stores.

I owned two of them, and also had three others in my possession at one time or another. They don't sound bad at all for what they are. I had both their acoustic dreadnaught and acoustic/electric dreadnaught, and I liked them both. Being all laminated, they are a bit on the heavier side, but not bad. The only thing I truly hated about them is their necks used a butt-joint held into the body of the guitar by only three dowels. I've had two where the necks would separate a bit from the body. I ended up converting both to a bolt-on neck. Also, every single one I had or repaired, I'd replace the saddle with a compensated bone saddle. It really improves the sound on those things. I even gigged with one when my other guitar was having issues that I couldn't rectify before the gig, and it did fine. I've recently donated all the acoustics and sold the acoustic/electric. Not because I didn't like them, but because I was trying to get down to three guitars instead of the seven I had. Any other questions you have about these things, I'd be happy to answer.

Dan

jargey3000 01-24-2014 10:43 AM

thanks dhoneisch - someone has a small one for sale here, $50. not sure of any model no. Just wondering what it might be like for an adult beginner (who likes 'smaller-body' guitars)? (I have a feeling I know what you're going to say!)

Guest User 971 01-24-2014 10:55 AM

I can't say much about their smaller guitars as I've only ever played their full sized guitars. However, I have nothing against 3/4 sized guitars. I would suspect the build quality is about the same though.

If you are wanting that guitar, I think you can get a new one for about that same price. Search Amazon.com for that. Make sure the guitar is set up okay. The action (string height from the frets) is low. These inexpensive guitars tend to have high action. Measure the string height from the 12th fret (should be marked with two dots), and if it's higher than 3-4mm, it's going to be too high. Same with the nut, make sure the string height above the first fret is no higher than the thickness of a credit card.

It might be best to have the guitar set up by a luthier. I think it's about $40, give or take? I do my own setups, so I can't remember how much they charge anymore. It's important, especially for the beginner, to have a setup on a guitar to make sure the action is right where it should be so it's playable without discouraging the person learning to play the guitar.

Dan

jargey3000 01-24-2014 11:05 AM

Thank you Dan.

roylor4 01-24-2014 11:35 AM

Jargey,
I think you would be better served to pay more and get a higher quality instrument. There's not a whole lot of price difference between a solid top yamaha (especially used) and a poorly made guitar. If you can't do setup work yourself you will easily spend as much trying to make a poor guitar play well. Count on tuners that won't get/stay in tune and poor intonation.

I believe you will save yourself grief by avoiding a lyon, first act and other junk that is more toy than guitar. Sorry, just my .02.

ship of fools 01-24-2014 01:55 PM

No Matter Which Guitar

You are still going to have it set up by someone who knows how to make it playable for you and they are okay guitars with a set up. and they do have models which are all solid top or even solid wood so for the price point I say if you don't want to invest a lot they can be decent players.
I have had several students who have bought one and I set them up and they weren't bad so I guess it really depends on where you are in terms of playing or why you are looking at them great beach guitars for sure. ship