The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Padding a Gig Bag (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114067)

Kindness 12-18-2007 06:58 AM

Padding a Gig Bag

Well, my new A&L Cedar top arrived yesterday. I ordered it from Rob's Music Works, as the local dealer here in Scottsdale, AZ was charging $150 more. It came in perfect condition. I was able to try it at least in the store with other A&L models as well as Seagull, I liked the sound of the cedar top the best.

I purchased a Wings gig bag. It's fine, but it's not padded very much. I want more padding to wrap around it, any ideas where to pick some up?

Thanks so much for your help!

Lisa :)
A&L Cedar top
Future owner of a Collings!!!

PWoolson 12-18-2007 07:43 AM

You might look into Access Bags and Cases. They have a bag called the "cooler" which functions as a gig bag (light and backpack-able) yet is still rigid enough to protect. Pretty good price on them as well.

TommyK 12-18-2007 01:50 PM

Might try a cheap comforter for a single bed. If you're handy with a scissors, needle and thread (or even sewing machine for that matter) you could custom make one. Lay the guitar on the center of the comforter, fold the top, sides and bottom up. It might be better to lay it at an agle with the headstock pointing towards a corner and the button pointing towards the opposite corner. Kind of like wrapping a baby in swadding clothes. :wink:

Trim to fit your liking. Hem the raw edges to keep them from fraying and to keep the soft insulating material from falling out. Maybe even add some tie strings at appropriate intervals. All this insulation will keep your new guitar warmer too during that mad dash from the house to warmed up car this time of year. You do warm up your car before taking your guitar anywhere, don't you? :hmm:

One gig bag I have is lightly padded and I worry that it leaves the lower bout vulnerable. If I set the cased guitar on it's button, the button bottoms out, through the light padding, against the floor. I don't use this one to take a guitar anywhere, just to keep the dust off one at home. I think this area needs more attention.

Between the blanket and gig bag, around the lower bout, you might want to stuff some foam rubber to cushion from the inevitable bump. I've seen, this Christmas season, some nifty little 4" x 6" pillows with cutesy Christmas slogans on them. They might be sold cheaply after the holiday.

Or, roll up a couple towels the long way to make a long sausages out of them. Stuff it (them) around the bottom end , waist to waist.

Or, you might have some sizable trimmings from the comforter you could roll up.

But, when your budget can afford it, get a thickly padded bag or a hard shell case. :cool:

razztazz 12-18-2007 03:49 PM

I think you can buy sheets of bubble wrap packing material at a UPS store or similar place. Just wrap the guitar before putting it in the bag