The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   strings for electric (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331934)

bobbyg67 03-03-2014 09:03 PM

strings for electric

so i bought a telecaster and its on its way via fedex. i haven't played electric guitar in a long long time. i noticed the strings that come on it are .09 to .42
i'm almost positive these are going to be too light for me. i play lead stuff on acoustic but i'm no shredder. anyway i use elixir lights on my acoustics and am completely in the dark as to what kind to put on the telecaster.

i realize i have to try them for myself but i'd like to not to have to buy a bunch of sets and could use a little help.

terrapin 03-03-2014 09:12 PM

I would recommend you start with 10-46. It is a generally good gauge for getting use to an electric. Not too light, not too heavy. If you go any heavier you very well may need to file the nut slots SLIGHTLY. IMO a job for a pro. The guitar will cost likely need the saddles raised a tad if it is currently setup for 9's if you are getting any buzzing, especially when bending strings. I use Di’Addario, but that is so subjective!

imwjl 03-03-2014 09:38 PM

I like nickel wind round core for feel and vintage tone.

clintj 03-03-2014 10:02 PM

I would also consider running .010 gauge on a standard scale like the Tele. If you keep finding yourself squeezing notes sharp despite trying to lighten your touch, you could go up another size. I run .011 gauge on my Les Paul just for that reason. D'addario nickel wounds are a decent, consistent, affordable starting point IMO. Looking forward to a NGD post! :)

bobbyg67 03-04-2014 03:52 AM

anybody use a wound G string on their electric?

Paikon 03-04-2014 05:03 AM

10-46 for me but i like 10 -52 too.
As mentioned suggesting brands is subjective. I use Thomastik-Infeld Power Brights and Wyres.

Dru Edwards 03-04-2014 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyg67 (Post 3848754)
anybody use a wound G string on their electric?

I don't use a wound G string, I don't think they're very common.

Most of the electric guitars out there have lights (9s) and mediums (10s), which are different gauges than the acoustic lights (12) and mediums (13s). Try some 10s to get things started and take it from there.

stratokatsu 03-04-2014 06:36 AM

Trying strings is half the fun of getting a new guitar and making it truly your own.

I just play at home for fun and I don't think my ear is so good that I can tell the difference between most of the 10-46 strings I use. I recently bought a box on sale, a dozen sets of 10-46 strings cheap from GFS with their Xaviere name brand on them. I honestly can't tell the difference between these at about $2.50 a set from asnything else at twice that price.

ras1500 03-04-2014 08:17 AM

I prefer the wound G string. For my Strat I'm using 11-50 flat wound D'Addario ECG24's.

perttime 03-04-2014 08:25 AM

At least, try the strings that come on the guitar.
I'm used to .10 to .46 on my 24 3/4" scale electric but might try something else at some point. Probably next size up.

s2y 03-04-2014 08:40 AM

I also use 10s on a Tele. Easy to bend and still meaty.

jseth 03-04-2014 01:41 PM

About two years ago, I switched the strings on both my T-5 and my ES-345 to Elixir Electric Strings, 11's w/an unwound 3rd (G string)... I love them! They keep a decent tone for a LONG time; I don't play my electric guitars all that much these days, and it's nice to have good-sounding strfings when I DO want to play them...

Acoustic guitar has always felt like "home" to me; I started out playing acoustic and most of my playing has been on one, over the past 1/2 century or so... with that in mind, my electric guitars have always felt a bit odd; they both play great and are set-up the way I want them... but making the switch to 11's gave both guitars more of a beefy, solid transfer to my hands/fingers... and I can still bend up to a major third, up the neck, although that is not something I do regularly...

Especially if you like Elixir acoustic strings, try their Electric strings...

PointBlank 03-04-2014 02:26 PM

Strings for serious tone: Gibson vintage reissue's. The thicker the better.

BTF 03-04-2014 02:29 PM

GHS Nickel Rockers. Either 10-46 or 9-46. They yield a warm, vintage sound and have less string squeak by virtue of their roller winding. If you like them, they become addictive. If you don't, they remove easily! ;)

Tony Done 03-04-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyg67 (Post 3848479)
so i bought a telecaster and its on its way via fedex. i haven't played electric guitar in a long long time. i noticed the strings that come on it are .09 to .42
i'm almost positive these are going to be too light for me. i play lead stuff on acoustic but i'm no shredder. anyway i use elixir lights on my acoustics and am completely in the dark as to what kind to put on the telecaster.

i realize i have to try them for myself but i'd like to not to have to buy a bunch of sets and could use a little help.

I use mediums, 13-56, on acoustics, but after a fair bit of experimenting I found that I get on best with 10-46 on electrics. I like Ernie Ball nickel-plated iron.