The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Building My Dad a Guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119773)

sharp_custom 03-09-2008 07:51 AM

Awesome Theo. Problems always occur. Don't stress it though it all works out in the end. Things look really good!! Nice Job!!

sharp_custom 03-09-2008 10:14 AM

Oh, Theo. Your sander story reminds me of an accident I had a few months ago. I was sanding a block of wood on my edge sander when my hand slipped and sent my thumb straight into the sanding belt. A broken thumb taught me never to do that again. Be careful!!

theotigno 03-09-2008 11:35 AM

Howzit Henderson! How's the weather back home? My parents live in Waipahu, so when the guitar is done, feel free to drop by and play it!

I wanted the monkeypod for the soundhole, but we took care of that yesterday so I didn't have a chance to get that in there. I'm still hoping to use that piece, though, for the end piece (I don't know the name of it) and possibly the headstock. Maybe even the heel cap (if that's what it's called).

Hey Don! That incident with me and the belt sander was me trying to be too careful. I was trying to avoid being close to the belt sander. Hearing your story is another good reminder why I have to be careful around all that "spinning" stuff. Maybe you can show me a few pointers in a few weeks when I head out there :up:.

I did better with the band saw, though, but when I was cutting the rosewood, I did have a moment of paranoia just because I wasn't sure if there would be inconsistencies in density that would change the direction of my cutting. It didn't, and at least that was a confidence booster while my top was waiting to be glued back together.

sharp_custom 03-09-2008 07:54 PM

Theo, If you can't find someone to resaw your monkey pod, let me know.

hnuuhiwa 03-09-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theotigno (Post 1409969)
Howzit Henderson! How's the weather back home? My parents live in Waipahu, so when the guitar is done, feel free to drop by and play it!

I wanted the monkeypod for the soundhole, but we took care of that yesterday so I didn't have a chance to get that in there. I'm still hoping to use that piece, though, for the end piece (I don't know the name of it) and possibly the headstock. Maybe even the heel cap (if that's what it's called).

Howzit!

Weather is great as always.....been rainless for about two weeks now, and in the 80s during the days. Great weather for being outdoors. The volcano has been erupting and there is VOG on a few days when the trades aren't blowing.

Using the Monkeypod for the heelcap and the headstock sounds like an idea that might work well. Can't wait to see how it looks when done.

BTW - what are you doing in Arizona anyway:D

Laters....Hen

theotigno 03-10-2008 12:04 PM

Thanks for the offer to help, Don!

What am I doing in AZ? I Gor here in '93 to go to school. I was offered a job right out of school and never left.

It's amazing when you live here for a while and then you go back to Hawaii. Everything is so green & beautiful, especially after living in a desert.

El Conquistador 03-10-2008 12:44 PM

Don,
What a great thread! Thanks for sharing this with us.
LC

sharp_custom 03-10-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Conquistador (Post 1410959)
Don,
What a great thread! Thanks for sharing this with us.
LC

It's Theo's post not mine. Last time I posted a build thread it got the boot so I am reluctant to post anything like this regarding my own work. Yes, Theo, thanks for sharing!! :)

hnuuhiwa 03-10-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp_custom (Post 1410988)
It's Theo's post not mine. Last time I posted a build thread it got the boot so I am reluctant to post anything like this regarding my own work. Yes, Theo, thanks for sharing!! :)

Well Don, I'm sure your fine work will be highlighted in the thread that McNut started on the custom build you're doing for him, although he has been acting pretty "cindy"...er ah I mean silly lately, so maybe not...:lol::lol::lol:

ayavner 03-10-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp_custom (Post 1409904)
Oh, Theo. Your sander story reminds me of an accident I had a few months ago. I was sanding a block of wood on my dege sander when my hand slipped and sent my thumb straight into the sanding belt. A broken thumb taught me never to do that again. Be careful!!

+1 on that, only it was a jointer... .piece was a little too small and tipped into the hole where the rotating cutterhead shot it straight back out and snapped my thumb in 2 up the middle! ouch! really put a damper on my playing too, surprising what you use your thumb for and don't even realize it.

phil_harmonic 03-10-2008 02:07 PM

Very cool. That class sounds like a blast.

sharp_custom 03-10-2008 02:15 PM

Brock Poling 03-10-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp_custom (Post 1411061)
That's the truth. Thumbs are extremely important. That must have hurt. I know mine did. I told my wife that if it wasn't attached to my hand, it would've flown across the room and out the window.

Actually, I owed some money to a guy named Vito and was late with payment. :lol:

Man... I have so been there. I can't tell you how many times I have sanded the ends of my fingers off on my edge sander.

It only hurts a little when you do it, but it smarts something fierce a day or two later.

theotigno 03-10-2008 05:55 PM

Well, after all this talk about fingers and thumbs, looks like I'm going to quit the class as of yesterday ;)

On the class orientation, they do talk about the class injuries and they wrapped it up by having us sign a form saying we won't sue them. Good thing about the stories is that it did make me feel like IF I got injured, they'd know what to do.

theotigno 03-16-2008 12:23 AM

Ah, Day 2

Guitar builders... my hats off to you all! At the end of the day, I was WORN OUT! Also, it's amazing how experience can make you look like a pro using a chisel. I have to get better at letting the wood tell me how it wants to be shaved. I used to say the phrase, "if it don't fit, muscle it." The little braces humbled my "muscle it" mentality.

Today's tasks:
  • Gluing Braces
  • Shaving down the sides to size & radius sanding
  • Shaving back and top (only starting) braces

Also part of today's day was a 20 minute session on the bracing (history, bellying, wide braces, tall braces, etc.) Very interesting stuff! Overall, a good day...

http://treative.com/agf/class-day2-0.jpg
http://treative.com/agf/class-day2-1.jpg
http://treative.com/agf/class-day2-2.jpg