The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Time to move it along? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500960)

sstaylor58 02-20-2018 07:40 PM

Time to move it along?

Hey all, I have more guitars than I need or regularly play ( I know this sounds crazy to some...��), but I have been pondering this question for some time. I have a georgous 2013 Taylor 516e FLTD with figured mahogany that sounds heavenly...but, I just don’t play it that much. I seem to play either my Yamaha or my Martin much much more, and I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t move it along to someone else who will play it all the time. I have put it on the market a couple of times in the past year and a half, but chickened out both times and pulled it off the market. Am I crazy for thinking about selling the best guitar I have ever owned, or should I let it go and keep enjoying the guitars I play on a regular basis? It would be nice to restock the old savings account with the proceeds. Looking to the wisdom of the forum...thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Rosewood99 02-20-2018 07:42 PM

As soon as you sell it you will regret it. Put away your other guitars and start playing it. You may rediscover it. I would only sell it if you are in real financial need.

The other option is try to sell it at a high price. If it sells, it's a sign.

MrDB 02-20-2018 07:49 PM

I sold my 514ce and wish I hadn't. My 2 cents worth.

llew 02-20-2018 07:54 PM

Unfortunately that's a call only you can make? I've sold some guitars I really regretted and some that I never gave another thought. Sorry...but you gotta figure this one out on your own?
That said...I'd probably only sell it to replace it with something I thought was better? And sometimes that backfires too? Best of luck whatever you decide...

rokdog49 02-20-2018 08:10 PM

Every time I think about selling one of mine, I pick it up and play it.
That usually stops me dead in my tracks. None of my guitars are what I consider expensive by Forum standards from what I can surmise, so why get rid of one for the sake of getting rid of it...if that makes any sense.
Do you need the money? Money is only good for what it buys. If that's your best-sounding guitar, you likely will regret the exchange...great guitar for $$:cry:

DCCougar 02-20-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstaylor58 (Post 5646450)
....It would be nice to restock the old savings account with the proceeds....

Yeah, that would be nice, but only so you could get that other guitar you've always had your eye on!

Mbroady 02-20-2018 09:01 PM

I understand we’re you are coming from, and I say sell and don’t look back.
I have a Lowden D22, sweet and unique sounding guitar and a Furch D33LRC, another amazing guitar. Put them on the (local) market a half dozen times, but always take them off for the fear that I would regret getting rid of them. But still they sit in the case and do not get played

I will be listing them for sale again. And, the funds will be used for some future attack of GAS. I just hope someone buys them before I change my mind again :)

Mr. Jelly 02-20-2018 09:10 PM

I've bought and sold allot of guitars in the last fifty years. Which also means I've had several guitars setting around most of the time. I always like the one I like to play best. That's me. I learned one thing and that is if I don't enjoy playing a guitar I just as soon sell it sooner than later because it's dead weight. Holding on to it for six months or six years is not going to make it more enjoyable to me. Life's short, move on to better things.

Guest 1511 02-20-2018 09:29 PM

Sounds like it's just wall art right now. Best to put the money back in savings for that day when the pipes bust and the insurance doesn't quite cover it.

jpd 02-20-2018 09:30 PM

Looking to the wisdom of the forum...thanks in advance for your thoughts...

"I have a georgous 2013 Taylor 516e FLTD with figured mahogany that sounds heavily"...?(hope you mean Heavenly!) Find it? :D Pick it up and put the rest of your acoustics in their cases for one month. Then make a decision;)

sstaylor58 02-20-2018 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...about evenly split between keep it and sell it...no wonder I’m torn...:)

brencat 02-20-2018 09:58 PM

It may sound heavenly, but the fact that you don't play it much tells you everything you need to know. There is something that is bugging you...whether it be the tone, playability, neck shape, doesn't matter.

I'll borrow a line from one of my favorite movies, Ronin:

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

Sell it and move on. Best to save the cash for the next acquisition...;)

Guest 728 02-20-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstaylor58 (Post 5646450)
I have put it on the market a couple of times in the past year and a half, but chickened out both times and pulled it off the market. Am I crazy for thinking about selling the best guitar I have ever owned, or should I let it go and keep enjoying the guitars I play on a regular basis?

Unless there's something fairly specific you want to use the funds for, I can't see why you'd want to sell "the best guitar [you] have ever owned."

dukebrot 02-20-2018 11:06 PM

OP: I think this is a great question.

My approach has been to sell the guitars that I very rarely play and then never look back. So far it has worked great. I have sold about 6 guitars in the last 12 years and I don't regret selling even one of them. I also have a pretty strict rule about not keeping more than 3 guitars at a time and so I focus my energy on the 3 I have (or the one I want). To look back on the ones that I sold feels like a waste of time. They are gone now. And the current 3 are so nice.

Related to this, if you haven't read it already the book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo is a great one (in my opinion) and touches on this topic (but not with guitars specifically). The author recommends that we hold our objects in front of us one at a time and ask ourselves whether they truly bring us joy. If not, then we should let them go. It actually drains our energy to be saddled with things we don't love.

In short, I'd sell the guitar. You'll be ok. Maybe even better.

jeanray1113 02-20-2018 11:21 PM

If it sounds heavenly and it's the best guitar you've ever owned, what is keeping you from playing it? Is it not as comfortable to play as your other guitars? If that's it, is there something that could help? Maybe you should put your other guitars aside for a few weeks and just play this one. That may help you figure out.