The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Harp Guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Stephen Bennett (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446843)

Teleplucker 10-19-2016 06:26 PM

Stephen Bennett

I assume everyone that is clicking on this sub-forum knows who Stephen Bennett is. But just in case, here's one of my favorites. This is a great melody and the way he incorporates harmonics into the melody is really nice.

jay7347 10-19-2016 08:39 PM

So fine... Would love to meet him someday and hear him play live.
-jay

jaymarsch 10-20-2016 09:14 AM

He is one of my favorite harp guitar players. I have heard him live several times and have had the opportunity to play that lovely guitar that Kathy Wingert made for him. He sure brings out the best in it. I find his arrangements really fresh with a lot of heart.

Best,
Jayne

gfspencer 10-20-2016 05:04 PM

That's beautiful!

Parlorman 12-26-2016 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've met him. He's a great guy with a great sense of humor.

He noodled around on my Larson Stahl:

ceciltguitar 12-26-2016 07:47 PM

nice video. nice tune. thanks for sharing!

GtrPknMama 04-22-2017 02:43 AM

He's the reason I want a harp guitar!
Simply awesome player.... thanks for sharing.🎶😎👍🎶

wcguitar 09-19-2017 07:29 PM

Saw him last weekend...

He was playing the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Ks....
great entertainer and musician...even on a rainy Sunday
morning Mr. Bennett brought it!

Kerbie 09-19-2017 08:11 PM

Had him for Beatles arrangements class at Swannanoa. Great guy... great player.

Thanks for sharing, Randall.

min7b5 09-20-2017 05:57 PM

We played a few dates together on the East Coast two years ago. Had a ball driving around, yukking it it up, playing gigs. Great guy, great musician :up:

Dustinfurlow 09-24-2017 04:35 PM

Saw him live in Williamsburg recently with his Wingert and his old "Big Mama" Dyer, such an expressive player, I honestly don't think anyone alive understands or plays the Harp as well as he does. Great sense of humor and sharp as a tack too!

Teleplucker 09-25-2017 05:47 AM

He's a great composer as well as a guitar player. His newest release is electric guitar(s) bass and piano. His electric guitar playing sounds a lot like Bill Frisell but it still has that great sense of melody that runs through all of SB's tunes. His bass playing on the disc is very cool.

pjmacd 09-26-2017 08:24 PM

I just wanted to mention that Stephen realized a lifelong dream last year when his "Powhatan Suite" was recorded by the Brandenburg State Orchestra. This began as a Kickstarter project to which I gladly contributed. The recording features the orchestral versions as well as the solo guitar versions. I'm listening to it now and loving it all over again.

I also saw Stephen about 5 or 6 years ago at the annual Christmas concert at the Opera House in Woodstock, IL. Sadly, these Christmas concerts are no more. When I found out he was coming to my neck of the woods, I contacted Stephen and arranged for a private lesson on harp guitar prior to the concert. I learned more in that hour than I would have learned in months of trying to do things on my own.

MattThomasMusic 11-02-2017 07:02 AM

Stephen Bennett legacy continued

Hello SB fans. I would like a take a moment and express the love for Bennetts approach to this world of fingerstyle music. I aim to keep spreading the word of SB and the harp guitar till i no longer can continue breathing. This past year, i have worked extensively to release a SB dedication album that was produced by Kim Person... who Stephen has recorded EVERY project with.

I look forward to gaining some wonderful friends, and learning as much as i can from all of you! Please, dont be a stranger and keep in touch. I am an open book and welcome any/all questions about my playing and approach to fingerstyle/harp guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhraJ0GcLXQ

Here is a video that CandyRat Records featured of me this year after my album release. The Album was recorded and produced by the legendary Kim Person of Cimirron Records (TOMMY EMMANUEL/STEPHEN BENNETT!). I hope you enjoy!

also, there are several featured Holloway Harp videos of me, but i would like to leave my fav. moment here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuAhHiwfQl4
Here is Stephen and I playing his tune "Perestroika" at the Harp Guitar Gathering. Enjoy this hilarious moment in time!

The full album can be found at www.TheMattThomas.com

Thanks for the support, and i cant wait to chat with you :-)

Naboz 11-04-2017 01:29 PM

Nice, Matt.
I also have a Holloway Prototype-#25.
That link led me to another tune of yours with Dustin Furlow (another member here); Only Autumn. Very nicely done, you two, sweet playing.