The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   J. Farre Classical Guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112926)

rjajr 12-01-2007 11:15 PM

J. Farre Classical Guitar

I recently purchased a 1988 J. Farre classical guitar (in a ukulele shop) while I was on vacation in Maui, Hawaii. Does anyone have any background information on this luthier or know where I might be able to purchase any of his other guitars? The only information I could find on the net was at: http://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com/f...ernandezCL.htm.

I learned from the owner of that site that J. Farre's full name is Josep Farre Gonzalez. He was born in Barcelona in 1928, making him 79 if he is still living. He started his career as a cabinet-maker, and began making guitars in 1954. In 1956, he went to work at the Juan Estruche guitar factory in Barcelona where he stayed until 1974. He worked at the Tauras guitar factory, where he became the shop foreman. In 1975, he struck out on his own and set up is own workshop on Calle San Felix, Velafranca del Penedes in Barcelona. In addition to guitars, he also built laudes and bandurrias. He claims to have based his guitars on those of Jose Ramirez III, but says he also was influenced by Ignacio Fleta, who he undoubted knew. He retired from guitar making perhaps 10 to 15 years ago.

Jake Blues 12-01-2007 11:40 PM

Sorry no info in the J. Farre but tell me about that guitar compared to your Taylor NS 74CE.

Currently getting serious about classical guitar, Bach especially, and have been playing a Taylor 14 series. Going to make the jump to a nylon string and very close to ordering a NS 34 CE.

What are your thoughts on the Taylor NS for true classical playing compared to the Farre which I assume is a "real classical with the thicker neck".

rjajr 12-02-2007 12:15 AM

Jake:

If you are really serious about classical I would not buy a Taylor NS series unless you need the amplification. The unamplified sound difference is just too great. Don't get me wrong: the Taylor is really nice, and the 74 (I tried them all.) is the best of the series, in my opinion. I love the sound. However, side by side most of the better made classical guitars will have a better sound. For example, my Taylor NS74 (unamplified) just does not compare with the sound of my old Yamaha.

The Taylor has one advantage, as I am sure you already know: it has the narrower neck, which makes the transition from steel to classical easy. Also, when you amplify the Taylor playing, especially playing subtle sounds you would not normally hear, makes it a lot of fun.

The Taylor also has one major disadvantage: Every NS series that I have played has a high E string that is located too close to the edge of the neck. When playing fast and on frets above the 3rd the string will actually shift off the fretboard. If you inspect an NS series, just look at the high E string at the nut and you will be able to see the problem. Everyone I know that owns an NS has had the same problem, some worse than others or, more likely, some do not care as much as others. It is an easy fix, and Taylor will fix it for you, but you will have to go through the shipping and all the potential problems this entails.

As far as I know, Taylor has not corrected this problem even on their new guitars, but I have not checked on this in at least two months.

Back to the classicals: if you play Bach you must be a fairly accomplished player; I have a number of Philip Hii's CDs. He released one with about a dozen or so of Chopin's Nocturnes. If you do not have this CD, this is one you should buy. I play a few of Chopin's nocturnes on the piano, and I am astounded by how well he transposed them. In particular, I play 48/1, and his classical guitar version is absolutely wonderful. It makes you re-think the old saying that "you cannot play Beethoven on a banjo."

Rob

Herb Hunter 12-02-2007 07:01 AM

If you are really serious about classical music and you like the Taylor nylon-string guitars, there is no reason not to buy one. You've already played one and know what they sound like.

It is a mistake for someone to buy a Taylor nylon-string if they expect it to sound like a true classical guitar. Unplugged they have a different sound that some people like and others don't. Plugged in, the sound is very similar to that of a true classical guitar equipped with typical pickups.

I own a bespoke classical guitar and until a few weeks ago, owned a NS72ce-LTD which I miss and wouldn't have sold had it not been for an enormous veterinary bill. The two guitars were quite different and I liked having the choice of sound they offered. The Taylor's intonation was the best I've encountered. I did not have a problem with the position of the first string.

plgorman 08-03-2008 04:28 PM

j farre

i have a 1992 farre guitar in excellent condition. pls let me know if you are interested. [email protected]