The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is this website legit? and what is the difference? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304538)

atran3 07-29-2013 03:52 PM

Is this website legit? and what is the difference?

I have been searching for a martin d28p. i found one for sale at Musiciansfr****. Is this place legit? do they sell quality guitars? I read that they are good on a forum, but there was a website reviews page and alot of them were horrible.

Also
What is the martin d28p-E? is it the same as the p? I thought all the d28p's were d28p's. is it short for d28p-e or is the electric acoustic version different from the acoustic?

I kind of want to purchase a brand new one on the bay from brotherbobbyb. what do yall think?

spitco 07-29-2013 04:07 PM

I bet one of the forum sponsors can get you a better price. -e usually means electronics.

scottishrogue 07-29-2013 04:09 PM

Is This Website Legit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by atran3 (Post 3564737)
I have been searching for a martin d28p. i found one for sale at Musiciansfr****. Is this place legit? What is the martin d28p-E? is it the same as the p? I thought all the d28p's were d28p's. is it short for d28p-e or is the electric acoustic version different from the acoustic?

Yes, they're legit. If they are an authorized dealer for certain guitar manufacturers, they are not allowed to sell stuff on eBay, and must sell under a different name, and your purchase, even if the guitar is new, will not be covered under the original owner's manufacturer's warranty.

Usually, if the model is followed by a lower case "e" it's an indication the electronics were installed aftermarket, but it depends on the person that places the ad. You have to ask the seller, unless they clarify that in their ad. It could be an active pickup with a preamp and controls on the guitar or a passive pickup (no controls on the guitar).

Glen

PorkPieGuy 07-29-2013 04:32 PM

As far as initial price goes, I'd choose one of the sponsors here.

atran3 07-29-2013 04:35 PM

what do yall meant by sponsors? how does this work?

Bingoccc 07-29-2013 04:41 PM

For a Martin I'd check out the list down the right-hand side of the forum main page. I bought mine from Maury's and couldn't be happier. I've also spent a penny or two at Musician's Friend over the years and they are a good place to deal with.

P.S. You have to call Maury's and ask for a price. They may just beat the price listed on the web.

Dru Edwards 07-29-2013 05:34 PM

Hey Atran, you can say MusiciansFriend here. They are definitely legit and I've ordered a dozen times from them, although the most expensive item I purchased was a Breedlove Atlas acoustic for $700 a few years back. MusiciansFriend owns Guitar Center, so it gives you an idea of how big they are.

As mentioned, you can probably get a better deal from a Forum Sponsor but if you do decide to go with MusiciansFriend, they frequently have 10 - 15% off specials.

George Bailey 07-29-2013 06:55 PM

I'd contact Maury's and ask him if he can get one. In my experience with Musician's Friend, they seems to sell the items that Guitar Center might have trouble selling ("ugly" tops and whatnot). That's just a guess though. I think Maury would get you a good guitar without any headache.

Dwight 07-29-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryder (Post 3564957)
I'd contact Maury's and ask him if he can get one. In my experience with Musician's Friend, they seems to sell the items that Guitar Center might have trouble selling ("ugly" tops and whatnot). That's just a guess though. I think Maury would get you a good guitar without any headache.

I completely disagree with this assessment of Musician's Friend.

jerryfan6 07-29-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryder (Post 3564957)

Have you guys been living under a rock? Musiciansfriend.com is likely the largest online seller of musical instruments. They are owned by Bain Capital, along with Guitar Center. They are totally legitimate, and sell first rate products.

George Bailey 07-29-2013 07:53 PM

The last three guitars that I purchased from Musician's Friend have had issues one way or another. One had a cracked top. That's a fact.

I don't buy anything but strings and small items from there anymore. Contact Maury's and ask him to get you the guitar. He may even have one in stock.

fazool 07-29-2013 08:14 PM

I bought a brand new les paul from Musicians Friend and it was perfect.

I buy lots of accessories from them, too (three cases, strings, etc)

I also like Sweetwater as my second online choice

Wildgift 07-29-2013 08:40 PM

I'd check out L.A. Guitars. Gave me an unbeatable deal on a Martin.

Amite 07-29-2013 09:01 PM

Hi there,
Take a look on the right hand side of the home page. You will see a long list of forum sponsors who help out financially by paying the forum. You can click on those names to get to their web sites. If you want more information on how sponsorship works, check out the FAQ section. It explains all the sponsorship options.

You can also look in the AGC Marketplace for some links and sales.

I can't make any recommendations but others can point you to good dealers like Maury's who can give you a good price and good service. Mention the forum.

Good luck.

George Bailey 07-29-2013 09:02 PM

One other thing...."brotherbobbyb" doesn't have the Martin warranty if you read the fine print, so if you are set on one or the other, then you should go with the warranty and get it from Musician's Friend.

I have the D18P and I am VERY happy with it. I have owned a d18 before, but this D18P is LOUD- for whatever reason? I don't know... PA neck makes a difference I guess. I'm not sure. Good luck