The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Recommended albums for chord melodies? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389447)

MrBJones 06-03-2015 10:15 PM

Recommended albums for chord melodies?

What are your recommendations for albums that are all or mostly chord melodies? Jazz for sure, but any other genre as well. Thanks!

Archtop Guy 06-04-2015 09:40 AM

My knowledge is limited, more than it should be, but here's my favorites, what I listen too.

Joe Pass - Virtuoso (series). All solo guitar, the classic.
Johnny Smith - anything. He plays with a band but his parts are so "fat" with harmony notes, that I think it counts as chord solo.

mr. beaumont 06-04-2015 09:43 AM

Ted Greene, Solo Guitar
Jack Grassel, Guitar Smoke

And buy Sid Jacobs' "Bill Evans for Guitar" book if just for the beautiful (albeit much to breif) accompanying CD.

Howard Klepper 06-04-2015 10:58 AM

Any of George Van Eps' old solo albums--they have all been rereleased.

There also is one called "Legends" that is half Johnny Smith and half Van Eps; all solo guitar.

vernon 06-04-2015 03:57 PM

Tsuyoshi Ichikawa

A disciple of the late great Ted Greene. The cd is entitled "The Solo Guitar of Tsuyoshi Ichikawa."

Livingston 06-05-2015 02:41 PM

Earl Klugh - "Naked Guitar". Earl Klugh is known mostly for his "smooth jazz" albums, but Naked Guitar is an awesome solo guitar album. I'd go so far as to say Earl Klugh is to the guitar as Bill Evans is to the piano.

+1 for Ted Greene! There are some great resources on the internet if you are interested in his playing.

Joe Pass has several solo guitar albums including the aforementioned Virtuoso series. I also like his "I Remember Charlie Parker", "At Akron University" and "Songs for Ellen" albums (all solo guitar work).

Jimmy Bruno put out a great solo guitar album several years ago entitled "Solo". I think if you like Joe Pass, you'll appreciate Jimmy Bruno's offering.

Don't forget Eric Skye, who is also a frequent Acoustic Guitar Forum contributor. He's got several nice solo guitar albums.

Royce Campbell also has several solo guitar albums that are very good.

Mundell Lowe's Guitar Moods is not 100% solo but contains mostly solo guitar pieces and among my favorite jazz guitar albums. Mundell always plays with a drop D tuning much like Johnny Smith.

Lastly, I'll mention George Van Eps (7-string guitarist). While he is not my favorite, he really developed a pretty complete method of playing solo jazz guitar on the 7-string and influenced a lot of other great players.

Kudos to Vernon for suggesting Tsuyoshi Ichikawa. Never heard of him before, but now have his solo guitar album...THANK YOU!

bebopmonk 06-05-2015 07:50 PM

For a recent release check out Julian Lage-World's Fair. Great solo guitar!

kkfan 06-06-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vernon (Post 4518958)
A disciple of the late great Ted Greene. The cd is entitled "The Solo Guitar of Tsuyoshi Ichikawa."

Ordered that album. Thanks! :)

kkfan 06-06-2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livingston (Post 4520144)
Earl Klugh - "Naked Guitar". Earl Klugh is known mostly for his "smooth jazz" albums, but Naked Guitar is an awesome solo guitar album. I'd go so far as to say Earl Klugh is to the guitar as Bill Evans is to the piano.

+1 for Ted Greene! There are some great resources on the internet if you are interested in his playing.

Joe Pass has several solo guitar albums including the aforementioned Virtuoso series. I also like his "I Remember Charlie Parker", "At Akron University" and "Songs for Ellen" albums (all solo guitar work).

Jimmy Bruno put out a great solo guitar album several years ago entitled "Solo". I think if you like Joe Pass, you'll appreciate Jimmy Bruno's offering.

Don't forget Eric Skye, who is also a frequent Acoustic Guitar Forum contributor. He's got several nice solo guitar albums.

Royce Campbell also has several solo guitar albums that are very good.

Mundell Lowe's Guitar Moods is not 100% solo but contains mostly solo guitar pieces and among my favorite jazz guitar albums. Mundell always plays with a drop D tuning much like Johnny Smith.

Lastly, I'll mention George Van Eps (7-string guitarist). While he is not my favorite, he really developed a pretty complete method of playing solo jazz guitar on the 7-string and influenced a lot of other great players.

Kudos to Vernon for suggesting Tsuyoshi Ichikawa. Never heard of him before, but now have his solo guitar album...THANK YOU!

Earl Klugh plays a flattop, does he not?

Not that it matters, just asking out of curiosity.

Livingston 06-06-2015 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkfan (Post 4520695)
Earl Klugh plays a flattop, does he not?

Not that it matters, just asking out of curiosity.

Earl Klugh plays nylon string (classical) guitars.

kkfan 06-06-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livingston (Post 4520711)
Earl Klugh plays nylon string (classical) guitars.

Ah! Ok.

Thanks!

SgtV 06-06-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livingston (Post 4520144)
Earl Klugh - "Naked Guitar". Earl Klugh is known mostly for his "smooth jazz" albums, but Naked Guitar is an awesome solo guitar album. I'd go so far as to say Earl Klugh is to the guitar as Bill Evans is to the piano!

While I agree that there is truth to that statement it can also be said that many of us, on all instruments, have a bit of Evans in us. That includes Coltrane.
The first time I heard Earl I knew he'd be stretching the world of the classical guitar. As a mostly flute player I love duets with guitar.

RobT 06-06-2015 09:35 AM

In addition to the others mentioned, check out Martin Taylor. His cd Artistry is a good place to start.

L50EF15 07-15-2016 05:47 PM

I just came across this thread. Barney Kessel did an album called "Solo", and it's all pickstyle chord melody. Highly recommended.

tbeltrans 07-16-2016 11:51 AM

Johnny Smith had a solo guitar album - Man With A Blue Guitar.

Tony