The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Y'all should give the new Martin Lifespan strings a shot... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207901)

Hambone 02-12-2011 04:42 PM

Y'all should give the new Martin Lifespan strings a shot...

I'm not a fan of Elixirs. I've busted a dozen G strings over the years, and I'm not a fan of the signature tone of Elixirs. But I do keep my 914CE strung with nano PB lights.. I don't play it that much and want the longevity.

I just strung the 914CE with a set of the new Cleartone coated Martin SP PB lights and what a difference tonally. Much fatter tone, very clear bass. The top end is tamed a wee bit, and focused down to the upper mids.

I can't report on longevity yet. I'm guessing they won't stay fresh as long as the Elixirs do because of the much less intrusive coating process, but I'll bet I don't bust any G strings either.

Battleman 02-12-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambone (Post 2514062)
I'm not a fan of Elixirs. I've busted a dozen G strings over the years, and I'm not a fan of the signature tone of Elixirs. But I do keep my 914CE strung with nano PB lights.. I don't play it that much and want the longevity.

I just strung the 914CE with a set of the new Cleartone coated Martin SP PB lights and what a difference tonally. Much fatter tone, very clear bass. The top end is tamed a wee bit, and focused down to the upper mids.

I can't report on longevity yet. I'm guessing they won't stay fresh as long as the Elixirs do because of the much less intrusive coating process, but I'll bet I don't bust any G strings either.

Hope it works out, i put a pair on a ago month, but took em off a week later, i think im used to elxiers...but, i have heard others say the like them...Solo

LewisBrookshire 02-12-2011 07:50 PM

I too have found the coated Martins to be great strings. I will use nothing else anymore.

JohnnyDes 02-13-2011 12:37 AM

I'm on my first week with the 80/20 Lifespans and so far love the tone. We'll see how long they last.

JD

Hambone 02-13-2011 05:47 AM

Like most PB strings they need a day or two to shake off the birthing process. Day two on these and when I picked up the guitar this morning it was jaw droppingly good. The 914CE sounds as full as a grand piano.

I'm hoping for decent longevity.

I'll give them a try on my Martins, but I already use conventional SPs so I don't expect the tonal improvement I got on the Taylor, but 95% of the tone of regular SPs with 2 or 3 times the life would be a good thing.

pieterh 02-13-2011 06:19 AM

I think you may well find the longevity is longer - I am a big fan of the Cleartones and want to try the Martin version (who knows, they may be made at the same facility!). I find the Cleartones last at least as long and for me sound better, in effect like "normal" strings but without the short playing life.

The Cleartone/Martin solution doesn't peel at the picking/strumming end like Elixir and D'Addarios do as the protection isn't a wrapping (Elixirs coat the strings after production, D'Addario coats the winding before being coiled around the string). That factor alone helps the strings feel fresher longer.

kenkjk 02-13-2011 09:39 AM

What is the difference in the lifespan strings and 80/20 vs 92/8? Somehow I like to try the sp 7100 lights 92/8? Is that the % of coating on the strings. the 92/8 having more coating but a ton of folks like 80/20's on any string.. what is the difference?

I am going to order couple sets of the lifespan cleartone sp 7100 and hope they sound great and hold up!

Hambone 02-13-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenkjk (Post 2514606)
What is the difference in the lifespan strings and 80/20 vs 92/8? Somehow I like to try the sp 7100 lights 92/8? Is that the % of coating on the strings. the 92/8 having more coating but a ton of folks like 80/20's on any string.. what is the difference?

I am going to order couple sets of the lifespan cleartone sp 7100 and hope they sound great and hold up!

80/20 and 92/8 represent the copper /tin ratio of the alloy used to make the string windings.

JohnnyDes 02-13-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambone (Post 2514750)
80/20 and 92/8 represent the copper /tin ratio of the alloy used to make the string windings.

Also, PB tend to be warmer with more metallic edge.

80/20 brighter but less metallic.

Both worth trying on any guitar.

JD

kenkjk 02-13-2011 06:40 PM

thanks.. amazing how I have discovered that sitka vs englemann and cedar and adi and mahog, and nut and saddles and now certain style strings all contribute to varrious sound qualities!

JohnnyDes 02-13-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenkjk (Post 2515095)
thanks.. amazing how I have discovered that sitka vs englemann and cedar and adi and mahog, and nut and saddles and now certain style strings all contribute to varrious sound qualities!

Other generalizations I've read here on the forum are to couple 80/20s with warmer guitars (cedar top and/or rosewood b/s) and PBs with brighter guitars ( mahogany ), but of course as always it depends on the guitar and player. I'm finding in general that I prefer 80/20 on my GC8. However, many other GC8 owners like PBs.

JD

DenverSteve 02-14-2011 08:14 AM

Thanks for the posting. I've used Martin string for years but haven't tried these new ones yet.

Scriptor 02-14-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambone (Post 2514421)
Like most PB strings they need a day or two to shake off the birthing process.

I don't know if this is a characteristic of PB's but I've noticed this about all coated strings, especially Elixir's ... they are much better sounding and feeling after about 4/6 hours of playing ... if I judged whether I liked Elixir's from only right after putting them on, I would have abandoned them a long time ago ...

Hambone 02-14-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scriptor (Post 2515590)
I don't know if this is a characteristic of PB's but I've noticed this about all coated strings, especially Elixir's ... they are much better sounding and feeling after about 4/6 hours of playing ... if I judged whether I liked Elixir's from only right after putting them on, I would have abandoned them a long time ago ...

I think that most strings benefit from a bit of playing. Phosphor bronze strings seem to need a bit of playing and a couple of days on the guitar to hit their stride.

I was ambivalent about the 914CE when it was strung with Elixir nano pb lights. I have to say that the new coated Martin SPs made a remarkable difference in the tone of this particular guitar. Much fuller sound, more emphasis on the mids.

stevezenof 02-15-2011 05:37 AM

Hambone, have you noticed any tonal difference between Martin Lifespans and regular Martin SP strings?