The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Save Me - Original SOTM #4 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249279)

kscobie8 04-25-2012 10:52 AM

Save Me - Original SOTM #4

The end of April is upon us (already?)! And while that may mean many things, you can add this to your list: a new original song from me!

Ok, I'm probably more excited than anyone, and my excitement is really out of relief that another song is done for my original Song-of-the-Month journey. Let me just say, there is some feeling of accomplishment to be still on-track with my songwriting goal for this year. Because while the guitar side of it mostly comes fairly easy (no doubt from last year's SOTW escapade) the lyrics always end up being a brutal struggle that hopefully doesn't end awkwardly.

Anyway, this month I've been working on another partial song that I've had laying around for a little while. As I mention in the YouTube description, "Save Me" is about everyday trials and everyday grace/redemption. It's kind of a simple song, which became my goal after trying to make it not so simple. Moral: let the song do the work.

Save Me - Kyle Scobie (original)

The lyrics, ever the champion, are in the YouTube description. The song is religious, by the forum's definition, so feel free to ask questions about that aspect of it either via PM or on YouTube in the comments. Also, plenty of guitar faces in this one, so enjoy those. :) Cheers!

Bel isi,
-kyle

Jeremy 04-25-2012 11:35 AM

Beautiful, Kyle. Nice, soulful vox and great pickin' on the guitar.

I love the transition from the picking to the strumming. There's a lot of power in that section and it's a nice payoff and I think it's worth repeating, or augmenting with additional lyrics of the same vein to make it last a little longer.

noledog 04-25-2012 11:55 AM

I may be mistaken but I recall these opening lyrics in a pm you sent me and I thought that they may come from your missionary heart Kyle. Nevertheless, well done my broham as I posted on your YTC. :)

Soul-smooth ;)

noledog

Mr Fixit eh 04-25-2012 02:00 PM

Nice melody and lyrics, Kyle. I like the "everyday trials and everyday grace" theme. Really love the way you modulate the intensity and fingerstyle/strum - really makes the song sing. I'm with Jeremy, I think a 3rd verse before the bridge about more everyday trials would really flesh it out.

Great job.

I'm impressed with your willingness to 'put it all out there' and be vulnerable.

Steve

BUDSTER 04-25-2012 04:00 PM

Kyle, way to stick with your goals buddy. I really enjoyed this one, very heartfelt.

Bud

Jeremy 04-25-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh (Post 3019964)
I'm with Jeremy, I think a 3rd verse before the bridge about more everyday trials would really flesh it out.

To clarify, I meant to repeat the bridge or add to it. Of course it's fine the way it is, I just really liked it and wanted to hear more of it.

edman 04-25-2012 06:47 PM

Nice job Kyle.

It's good the way it is because it sounds like it comes from the heart.

Marshall 04-25-2012 10:38 PM

Very well done. Nice originality. Great melody, guitar work, mood, and vocal, that all support the lyric line well.

I suppose my only critical critique, would be the ending just kind of peters out. It's a minor thing. By then you've got me. But still the song could use a more definitive ending.

(I don't like fade-aways and wimpy endings. Slam, Bam, Thank you Maam!. "Say thank you and good bye." )

Bob1131 04-26-2012 04:24 AM

Well done, Kyle. You're on a roll...keep 'em coming.

Battleman 04-26-2012 01:16 PM

Cool song Kyle...

This had it all from start to finish.

Thanks for sharing my friend.:)

Ranger1964 04-28-2012 07:37 AM

Very nice Kyle. Warm heartfelt lyrics that most of us can identify with. Nice playing and excellent incorporation of that nice picking pattern into the breaks of the song. Well done!

GibbyPrague 04-28-2012 01:19 PM

Man, youre getting really good at this Kyle, time to give up the day job mate !

Very nice, enjoyed it very much all round, keep going ... but i think its time for punk now that youve got the ballads down ;-)

K-vegas 04-29-2012 02:11 PM

Nice song. Really like the 2 verses - good lines. Convincing delivery. Enjoyed!

I'm probably gonna steal that pattern you're using if you don't mind ;) :)

Mark

gibbyguy 04-30-2012 06:36 AM

Kyle, I like your song, especially the feel you're putting into it. You're singing from the heart. Thanks for posting the lyrics for that gave me time to absorb the message in the song too. I listened twice, first time to get first impression, second time to sense the meaning. Your guitar sounds good, love the finger style and then intensity picks up when you start strumming. Nicely done, friend.

millerzj 04-30-2012 12:40 PM

Very nice tune bro. Really like the heartfelt lyrics, the subject matter, and the passion you deliver the lyrics with. The transition from fingerpicking to strumming was nice and smooth and fit the song well. Thanks for sharing.