The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Changing guitar strings -- do you cut or not? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131868)

LindaW 07-31-2008 10:10 PM

Changing guitar strings -- do you cut or not?

OK, so I'm watching some youtube covers and I can't believe how many people don't trim their guitar strings after restringing. How does one play with those long loose ends flapping in the breeze?? Am I just too compulsively neat to cope? :D

tpp 07-31-2008 10:12 PM

I definitely cut mine.

Acousticado 07-31-2008 10:19 PM

For each string, I anchor in the bridge, hold the loose end up to it's associated tuning peg, then allowing enough extra string to extend to the next peg plus a bit more, I cut the string. I thread it through only about 3/16" and counter kink it (ends-up about 1/8" once wound and under tension). Then I have about 3-5 wraps depending on string gauge. I have done it this way for quite a long time. I did read the Taylor recommended method a while ago and I think I'm actually pretty-much doing it that way.

Edit: I just checked the Taylor tech sheet and I do it closely to Taylor's suggested method (and have for a very long time).

ewalling 07-31-2008 10:27 PM

I used to take great pride in curling string ends in and out of the tuning pegs...mmm, must be something to do with growing up in the 70s!

Randal_S 07-31-2008 10:27 PM

Yes, you're too compulsively neat-o.

Really... unless you jam with the Doobie Brothers and drive a Chevy Vega, it's just best to trim 'em down.

Kinda like manscaping, trimming the bushes, or whatever else you want to call it.

sfden1 07-31-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaW (Post 1553577)
Am I just too compulsively neat to cope? :D

No your not. I guess some folks think it looks cool, but to me it just looks sloppy. Plus, no way you can keep hose long loops from rattling. That would drive me crazy. I always trim them close.

Darrel 07-31-2008 10:29 PM

I cut mine. I play with some players the just coil up the excess, and one guy that leaves them sticking out like some deadly weapon... You definitely watch your eyes if he is playing next to you:cool:

Darrel

grantgsc 07-31-2008 10:36 PM

To cut, or not to cut

Wait until these ding-bats who leave long boingy things hanging from their tuners run one of them into an eye. Mmmmm, that feels good. I actually had student who did this. Also to the folks who leave a 1/4 of an inch...
Just poke one of these "needles" into the end of your finger or under your finger nail. Mmmmm, that feels good too. :D:eek:

beenerpro 07-31-2008 11:19 PM

Definitely cut. And I cut short. As short as possible. I do suffer from the occasional self inflicted acupuncture. But I've been told that I should practice until my fingers bleed. This just gets me there faster.

steve nm 07-31-2008 11:43 PM

I cut as close as possiable

ocarolan 08-01-2008 03:00 AM

Once tuned to pitch I cut to within 5mm or so of the tuner post and then curl the sharp end over (with small round nosed pliers) to avoid spikey moments.

In about 1964 I saw a picture of George Harrison playing a guitar with the excess string lengths neatly curled into small circles. Thinking how cool it looked I tried that for a while, well, maybe a couple of string changes anyway - hard work!

Keith

Fliss 08-01-2008 03:02 AM

I cut mine.

Fliss

Soupy1957 08-01-2008 03:08 AM

At one point, in my many years of playing guitar, I rolled my string excess up and left little round (Ø 1.5 or so) coils over the various tuning pegs.

The only thing THAT did was keep me from having to cut them, and kinda frayed the inside of my case a little. (It "looks" interesting and attracts some attention, wanted or otherwise).

But over the last 15 years or more, I've just bent up the ends and clipped the strings at the tops of the tuning pegs.

-Soupy1957

Bong Twang Ping 08-01-2008 03:25 AM

Way to dangerous to leave them waving about ..I bend the ends over and clip em' to about an 1/8". Nothing compulsive about it ..just sensible is all.

Bong.

Lawn Jockey 08-01-2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bong Twang Ping (Post 1553713)
Way to dangerous to leave them waving about ..I bend the ends over and clip em' to about an 1/8". Nothing compulsive about it ..just sensible is all.

Bong.

+ 1

I do exactly the same thing.