The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   D-18 vs J-45 Choice ? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234595)

rosewoood 11-28-2011 10:05 PM

D-18 vs J-45 Choice ?

If you had to choose between a Martin D-18 and a Gibson J-45 which Hog would you pick and why?:hmm:

OleGibby58 11-28-2011 10:09 PM

Had both including other Martins and Gibsons and it turned out after years of messing around that I'm a Gibson guy. That's what I started with way back when and came back to. Currently have an old J-45 and LG-2 and a RI AJ.

IMO the Gibsons emphasize warmth/blending of tone a bit more than the Martins which emphasize fundamentals, but those are just words. It really comes down to the tone & vibe that grabs you. The D-18 and J-45 are both great guitars.

NAFIGATOR 11-28-2011 10:14 PM

I played both on many occasions and owned D-18V for a while. Unlike OleGibby I am definitely not a Gibson guy. I am not really a Martin guy either, but between two, it would be Martin. I seem to have a problem with most Gibsons clarity. They sound a little dull to me, not enough separation and ring.

However, I recognize that in case of these two models it's purely a personal taste thing...

whoahhh 11-28-2011 10:25 PM

I vote Gibson J-45, but it really depends on what you play on it. Why? Like the rounded shoulder dread better and I've been gasing for a Gibson for a while now.

dchristo 11-28-2011 10:30 PM

Im a Gibson guy too but if I was playing bluegrass it would be the D 18..
it all boils down to what your ears like.....both are fine guitars

patticake 11-28-2011 11:45 PM

j-45 - i like how they sound.

Lefty Guy 11-29-2011 02:02 AM

I play a mixture of acoustic rock, country & bluegrass.
I've tried Taylor (810CE - too much treble & lack of "soul" for me), Martin (HD28 - too much base for me) & Gibson (J45 & SJ - both have a wonderfully balanced tone & that unique Gibson soulful sound).
I sold the Taylor & will probably end up selling the Martin, but aim to keep both Gibsons - I guess I'm a confirmed Gibson man.

GibbyPrague 11-29-2011 09:49 AM

The J-45 is my favourite Gibson and D-18 favourite Martin.

But I find the J-45 just has more soul than the Martin, hence that would be my answer.

Both are very versatile, but love the midrange and that honky tonk tone of the Gibson, not to mention the best burst' in the business.

zumaboy 11-29-2011 09:58 AM

http://artisanguitars.com/santa-cruz...nd-mahogany-2/

This (if you don't mind cracking open the wallet a bit more...). I played this actual guitar last week and it was outstanding.

ChrisMartinMan 11-29-2011 10:13 AM

D18GE, one of the best guitars ever.

B/t those two though, it would come down in large part to whether you like Gibby's shorter scale better.

jeepnstein 11-29-2011 10:19 AM

I've got a D18 on the way. But deep down inside I know I'm going to wind up with a J45 before it's all said and done. Why don't I just give in and do it now? I don't know.

jackcooper 11-29-2011 10:37 AM

I honestly couldn't choose between the two.

The standard D-18 is probably my favourite Martin (tied with certain D-28 models - the one I own:) and the one I'm about to buy). It's just a workhorse of a guitar, for strumming it can't be beat by any Martin dreadnought in my opinion.

The J-45 is my favourite Gibson. For strumming again, I don't think there's a better Gibson model.

I don't particularly like either of them for fingerpicking, but for flatpicking they shine (although the scalloped D-18 models are probably better for this job)

I would say the D-18 has a more woody tone, whilst the J-45 has more of a growly chime to it's sound. If you want to replicate the sound of most Alt country/Americana albums, both guitars are completely necessary purchases.

rmyAddison 11-29-2011 10:48 AM

Both fine guitars, suit your ears not ours!!

Personally I much prefer the D-18GE to the standard D-18, but the standards are terrific with some years on them.

Not a Gibson guy but that's just me, I do like the Advanced Jumbo.

Consider a GE................;)

CrankyChris 11-29-2011 12:04 PM

I'd get the J45 not b/c it's better/worse - just b/c I already have a Martin-ish (custom build) guitar. Those Southern Jumbo's are beauts!

Strummer63 11-29-2011 12:28 PM

I've actually owned both of these guitars at the same time.
I found the tone of the Gibson marginally preferable, but the playability of the Martin much more suited to me. Whether this was due to the fretboard radius, or fret spacing, or perhaps some other factor, I can't really say. They are actually quite different animals, ideally you have to play them and choose your favourite.
All I can say is that ultimately I would rather play the Martin. Just my opinion, hope it is helpful to you.