The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Seagull Coastline vs Entourage (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267626)

Calhoon 10-01-2012 09:23 PM

Seagull Coastline vs Entourage

The coastline guitars usually command a higher price than the entourage series.

Does this suggest that the coastline series is a higher line, better quality guitar versus the Entourage?

I’m new to guitar, and I think I have it boiled down to the Coastline Cedar S6 GT versus the Entourage Mini Jumbo (and perhaps the regular S6 as well) but am having a hard time deciding. They’re both virtually the same price, though my understanding is that the Coastline is ordinarily more expensive. The Entourage Mini Jumbo is at a Guitar Center locally wheras the Coastline is through a retailer on Amazon. Thought that if the Coastline was a better quality of guitar, used better consturction materials, that’d make the choice easier.

I've tried both at a store locally, and I like the comfortable size and neck of the mini jumbo marginally better...but when I play the six chords I know on the wider S6 I don't mind that either and at this early stage I can hit the strings easier, which is nice. Keep going back and forth between the two. As for the quality of the sound, I'm too new to guitar to say which is better.

Don't know if this would play into the decision, but when I learn how to play the thing I'd be interested in delta blues. Not sure if one style of guitar or the nut width would lend itself better to this type of music.

Also, the gloss top on the Coastline. Does that offer a layer of protection on the surface against scratches versus a regular S6, or it purely asthetic?

HudsDad 10-01-2012 09:40 PM

Build quality should be the same throughout the Seagull line. Main differences between the Coastline and Entourage series are aesthetic...finish and binding. Also, the Coastline models have two options for nut width while the Entourage only offers a 1.72" nut width.

Personally, I prefer the Standard models because of the 1.75" nut widths and matte finishes. The 1.72" are too cramped for me. I know that 0.03" doesn't sound like much, but it feels huge to my long fingers. And I don't like gloss finishes on wood...purely personal preference. I don't notice any tonal differences that I could attribute to the finishes.

k.crabbe 10-01-2012 09:53 PM

I've played a Coastline before and own the Entourage mini-jumbo. The only difference I found was that the Coastline had a better cedar top. Build quality on both was equal to my eyes. I bought the mini-jumbo because the shape was more comfortable and I liked the overall sound better. Keep in mind, cedar tops are soft and will scratch/dent easily. Mine has a couple and I don't know how they got there. They just appeared. No biggie though. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Roselynne 10-01-2012 11:10 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the main difference is in the quality -- not necessarily the type -- of the woods used, but the builds should be about the same. (Which may explain why the Entourages come in sunburst.)

Is the Coastline used? That might explain the lower price. If it's in good structural condition, used can be beautiful. Is there a return policy?

Wasper 10-02-2012 03:46 AM

In this case, if I was in your shoes trying to decide between the two and keep finding it is virtually a toss-up..... I would always pick the one I could buy local and not have to deal with shipping and all the headaches that can go along with it (damage, if a problem you have to ship back.. at your cost??.. on and on).

I say get the Entourage... besides, I think the burst on those are pretty nice looking :P

jlwoodall 10-02-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasper (Post 3196685)
In this case, if I was in your shoes trying to decide between the two and keep finding it is virtually a toss-up..... I would always pick the one I could buy local and not have to deal with shipping and all the headaches that can go along with it (damage, if a problem you have to ship back.. at your cost??.. on and on).

I say get the Entourage... besides, I think the burst on those are pretty nice looking :P

I second this motion. With as many guitars as I have bought online, I still prefer to buy local. Then you know what your getting.

Judson 10-02-2012 06:00 AM

I agree that the biggest difference between the Entourage and the Coastline is the nut width options. It's actually 1.8 inch on the Coastline ... a distinct difference from the 1.72 and a huge difference from the 1.68 offered on most guitars in that price range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HudsDad (Post 3196586)
Build quality should be the same throughout the Seagull line. Main differences between the Coastline and Entourage series are aesthetic...finish and binding. Also, the Coastline models have two options for nut width while the Entourage only offers a 1.72" nut width.

Personally, I prefer the Standard models because of the 1.75" nut widths and matte finishes. The 1.72" are too cramped for me. I know that 0.03" doesn't sound like much, but it feels huge to my long fingers. And I don't like gloss finishes on wood...purely personal preference. I don't notice any tonal differences that I could attribute to the finishes.

Calhoon 10-02-2012 06:14 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Roselynne -- the Coastline is new. The return policy is thirty days...however, if you don't like it for any reason you get hit with the return shipping.

Wasper, that's a good point. Locally, there'd be no surprises. Also, I think I can get the origial s6 at around the same price also at the same shop.

Back to the gloss top in Coastline Gt. Looking on line and here it was mentioned how the matte finish scratches so easily. Does the Gloss top mitigate that somewhat, or does it scratch/ding just as easily? If it's purely cosmetic, than I wouldn't care.

Gostwriter 10-02-2012 07:29 AM

Check out what's being sold locally on craigslist too. Sometimes you find someone who bought a guitar and never used it and put if for sale a few months later. You might find a nice Coastline that's 6 months or a year old and hardly used for the same or less than a new Entourage. I would take someone who knows guitars (if you're not comfortable examining it) to look at it for any damage or set up issues. I have even seen some great deals on other makes.

Long813 10-02-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackville (Post 3196727)
I agree that the biggest difference between the Entourage and the Coastline is the nut width options. It's actually 1.8 inch on the Coastline ... a distinct difference from the 1.72 and a huge difference from the 1.68 offered on most guitars in that price range.

IIRC correctly, the 1.8 v. 1.75 has been discussed here greatly and it's actually a conversion error. I believe someone here actually measured out the s6 nut and it was the same as his other 1.75 nuts.

Brant0086 10-02-2012 08:00 AM

There is not much I can add. There have been good replies to this post. HOWEVER..... don't undervalue your own ear simply because you are a novice player. I started playing guitar because I loved the sound of guitar. Even before I picked up a guitar, Tom Schultz (Boston) had me mesmorized with his guitar sound. Buy the guitar that plays and sounds the best to you. Get the salesman to play the guitars for you as well and judge. Trust me, they will love to do it..... they are musicians as well.

Bryant

sublro 10-02-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long813 (Post 3196813)
IIRC correctly, the 1.8 v. 1.75 has been discussed here greatly and it's actually a conversion error. I believe someone here actually measured out the s6 nut and it was the same as his other 1.75 nuts.

nope, I've played a bunch of seagulls over the years and the 1.8 is really 1.8 - definitely wider than the typical 1.75

Judson 10-02-2012 09:46 AM

Maybe, but as long as Seagull continues to advertise it as 1.8, I'm going to trust their measurement over any individual or individuals. I have personally measured my Seagull (1.8) against my Martin DCPA-4 (1.75) and while the string spacing is the same, the nut width is greater on the Seagull. Of course the difference is extremely slight, but it is in fact, wider when I measure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long813 (Post 3196813)

ljguitar 10-02-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackville (Post 3196927)
Maybe, but as long as Seagull continues to advertise it as 1.8, I'm going to trust their measurement over any individual or individuals. I have personally measured my Seagull (1.8) against my Martin DCPA-4 (1.75) and while the string spacing is the same, the nut width is greater on the Seagull. Of course the difference is extremely slight, but it is in fact, wider when I measure.

Hi B-ville...
The confusion comes from the fact they are built in a French speaking & metric measuring area, and the nut is actually 44mm or 46mm. They are not trying to be different.

The wider version of the nut is 46mm (listed in English as 1.8''), but the spacing is exactly the same as other manufacturer's 1.75'' nut guitars. While this provides a tiny amount of extra space on the outside edge of the fingerboard, it is not more finger space unless you normally have issues dragging the 1st string off the fingerboard.

Also, their 44mm (1.72'') fingerboards are spaced the same as 1¹¹/₁₆'' nuts. You could build the nut 2'' wide, but if the strings are only spaced to 1.75'' that is what really counts.

I like the Jumbo bodied versions when they are going to be amplified. I recently heard one of them with the high end Seagull pickup/mic Q systems, and it was fabulous through the PA.

I played that guitar later, and it was pretty similar to an S-6 acoustically.

BluesyRob 10-02-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwoodall (Post 3196710)
I second this motion. With as many guitars as I have bought online, I still prefer to buy local. Then you know what your getting.

+1.

I have the Entourage Mini Jumbo. Bought it used at GC, just one little ding in the top. Great guitar!