The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "For Emily Whenever I May Find Her" by Paul Simon (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483518)

Glennwillow 09-19-2017 05:24 PM

"For Emily Whenever I May Find Her" by Paul Simon (cover)

This is my cover of Paul Simon's song "For Emily Whenever I May Find Her" from Simon & Garfunkel's third studio album "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme." Some have suggested that he may have been referring to Emily Dickinson.

In their 1968 appearance on Kraft Music Hall, Paul Simon explained that "For Emily" is not about an imaginary girl Emily, but about a belief, while the song "Overs" (from the album Bookends) is about the loss of that belief. In 2014, a Rolling Stone readers poll ranked it among the duo's best compositions, with the magazine declaring, "Over the years, fans have recognized it as one of the duo's sweetest love songs."

"Belief" about love or "no belief" about love, I loved this song from the first time I heard it back in 1966. The guitar used on this video is my Guild F512, 12-string.

Thanks so much for listening! - Glenn :)

Kerbie 09-19-2017 05:45 PM

I LOVE IT! Thanks, Glenn... that's fantastic. I learned that song (though not nearly as well as you played it) when I was in my early teens. We all went up to see my father's family for a long weekend and my brother's girlfriend went with us. She was great... talented, smart and lovely. She played a wonderful guitar... and she sang, "For Emily," that weekend, so of course, I HAD to learn it! It was a fun, musical weekend. Thanks for the great memories.

Wonderful... very well done. I haven't heard that in a long time. What a nice treat tonight. :)

mesa 09-19-2017 06:26 PM

One of my favorite S&G tunes. Very nicely done Glenn!

Glennwillow 09-19-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5481486)
I LOVE IT! Thanks, Glenn... that's fantastic. I learned that song (though not nearly as well as you played it) when I was in my early teens. We all went up to see my father's family for a long weekend and my brother's girlfriend went with us. She was great... talented, smart and lovely. She played a wonderful guitar... and she sang, "For Emily," that weekend, so of course, I HAD to learn it! It was a fun, musical weekend. Thanks for the great memories.

Wonderful... very well done. I haven't heard that in a long time. What a nice treat tonight. :)

Thank you Kerbie!

I'm really glad you enjoyed this, and I'm particularly glad that this brought back some lovely memories! Thanks so much for commenting Kerbie!

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-19-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesa (Post 5481518)
One of my favorite S&G tunes. Very nicely done Glenn!

Thank you very much, Mesa! So glad you liked this, and I'm also very appreciative that you commented here!

- Glenn

Rogerblair 09-19-2017 08:33 PM

Great job, Glenn. This song came from a magical time in my life. So much good music coming to life in those days.

Thanks for posting your cool rendition.

Roger

island texan 09-19-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerblair (Post 5481602)
Great job, Glenn. This song came from a magical time in my life. So much good music coming to life in those days.

Roger

Wish I was a tenor.

Glennwillow 09-19-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerblair (Post 5481602)

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thank you! Yes, it was a magic time in my life, too, about the time I met my wife, first year of college for me -- it was all pretty magic. And there was so much good music happening, including the stuff from Simon & Garfunkel.

I'm very pleased that you like this! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-19-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by island texan (Post 5481648)
Wish I was a tenor.

Yes, I do, too! But we use what we have as best we can. :)

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

- Glenn

rokdog49 09-20-2017 05:43 AM

Definitely one of my favorites from the early Simon & Garfunkel days.
You did it well.

Mr Picky 09-20-2017 06:37 AM

That's how to play a 12-string! Wonderful.

islandguitar 09-20-2017 07:29 AM

Whoa! Glenn, that was fantastic!!! Great 12 string playing......so hard (at least for me!) to strike that high G string consistently to carry the melody as you did in the little interlude you did in there.
A lot of emotion to this selection......can tell you love the song!!
Fred

Glennwillow 09-20-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 5481767)
Definitely one of my favorites from the early Simon & Garfunkel days.
You did it well.

Thanks so very much Jamie! I'm really glad you felt that this came out okay! I really appreciate your commenting here! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-20-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Picky (Post 5481793)
That's how to play a 12-string! Wonderful.

Thank you, Mr. Picky!

I'm very pleased that you like this! I do love the sound of that F512 myself!

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-20-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 5481842)
Whoa! Glenn, that was fantastic!!! Great 12 string playing......so hard (at least for me!) to strike that high G string consistently to carry the melody as you did in the little interlude you did in there.
A lot of emotion to this selection......can tell you love the song!!
Fred

Hi Fred,

Yes, I do love this song! Thanks so much for your comments! :)

There are some challenges in this song, both vocally and instrumentally, but it helps that I have been playing this song for so long.

- Glenn