The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   high e string buzz (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138618)

soundwatts 11-01-2008 05:27 PM

high e string buzz

just started it only buzzes when I press on the first fret. Anyone experience this? It is a muted buzz.

jsun82 11-01-2008 05:32 PM

it just started? did you change anything? strings, tuning, etc? if not it may be a humidity issue or possibly that fret may be too high...i would check the action at the nut, 12th fret, and saddle. if you can, provide some pictures!

fitness1 11-01-2008 05:55 PM

are you monitoring humidity levels? Could be neck relief changing from lack of humidity.

soundwatts 11-01-2008 05:57 PM

I did change the strings

I thought this might have done it so I changed the high e again with another string and no luck. Maybe it is humidity.

PWoolson 11-01-2008 06:34 PM

Can you isolate the buzz? It's not the nut because you take the nut out of the equation when you fret it.
Work your way up the neck and see if it gets worse or if at some point it goes away.
Likely humidity changed and either the neck flattened out or the top sank a bit.

soundwatts 11-01-2008 07:02 PM

Isolated

Its only on the first fret High e nowhere else on the neck. humidity at 44%

fnesnor 11-01-2008 07:32 PM

It sounds like you may have a high fret. Check frets 1, 2 and 3 for levelness below the string in question. You can do this with a credit card. Span the edge of the credit card over those first three frets below the string and see if it will rock on the second fret. If it rocks the fret has risen and should be reset or leveled.:)

soundwatts 11-02-2008 03:10 PM

So I Put a Soundhole humidifier in overnight

And it took the buzz away. Wow are these things that sensitive?

Wade Hampton 11-02-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundwatts (Post 1643610)
Wow are these things that sensitive?

Sometimes they can be....

whm

Ken C 11-02-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundwatts (Post 1643610)
And it took the buzz away. Wow are these things that sensitive?

We live in air-conditioning in southern MS, but during Katrina, I had no power for six weeks. I was not worried about low humidity. It got pretty high before I took them to my daughter's house with power and a-c.

That was my first high humidiy experience. I could not believe how much the guitars expanded. They got to the point of going a whole lot sharp. I kept tuning down.

Then later, I got a very dry guitar that had lived in KS a long time. The owner knew nothing about hydrating a guitar. It got dry winters and dry summers. When I got it the frets were sticking out at the edges of the fret board, but I decided to shave them down after I did a bunch of other work on it. By the time I got the other work done, the guitar had lived in MS long enough, the frets were even with the edge and I've not done anything to them yet.

These guitars can change size and shape something that is amazing.

Ken C.