The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New OM-28 vs OM-21 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335435)

jsanfilippo5 03-27-2014 03:31 PM

New OM-28 vs OM-21

Im sorry if this had already been discussed, but I am trying to figure out the main differences, other than cosmetic between the new om-28 and the new version om-21…

Looking at the 2 I thought they looked very similar, unless I am missing something?

NewMartinFan 03-27-2014 03:53 PM

Assuming the OM-28 ends up being an OM-28V with a different neck profile, the difference is that the 28 will have slightly more bass and "growl" than the 21. The 21 will be more balanced across the tonal spectrum. That's really about it.

I have, by the way, owned both, and still own the OM-21.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 03-27-2014 03:54 PM

Most dealers haven't received the new OM-28 yet so opinions will be few and far between, but I just spent some time with one alongside the now discontinued OM-28V and tonally they are as identical as two all solid wood guitars can get. So if you have played the OM-28V than you will know what to expect from the new OM-28 tonally.

As far as tonal differences, he OM-21 is lighter built so it's a bit more responsive with a more open tone, while the OM-28 will have a bit more headroom and also more of that vintage Martin growl. No wrong choice here, just depends on the tone you are after. If you search these forums I'm sure you will find more detailed decryptions of both the OM-21 and OM-28V as they are both quite popular.

BTW, you are not the first to ask about this so look for a side by side video of the two on our Youtube page tomorrow.

Hillster 03-27-2014 06:34 PM

According to the Martin website, both are pretty identical except for the trimmings like binding.

jsanfilippo5 03-27-2014 07:13 PM

I currentl have the OM-21, so I was just wondering really… Thanks all!

brencat 03-27-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales (Post 3886136)
Most dealers haven't received the new OM-28 yet so opinions will be few and far between, but I just spent some time with one alongside the now discontinued OM-28V and tonally they are as identical as two all solid wood guitars can get. So if you have played the OM-28V than you will know what to expect from the new OM-28 tonally.

Wow! I would not have thought that at all. Thanks for that helpful feedback Ted. This only confirms my view that they are going to sell a ton of these... with the new neck and the same tone, it's winner winner chicken dinner!

NewMartinFan 03-27-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillster (Post 3886376)
According to the Martin website, both are pretty identical except for the trimmings like binding.

Yes, but they definitely are not the same and do not sound the same. Just like the HD-28 and HD-28V look the same on paper, but don't sound the same.

Hillster 03-27-2014 09:31 PM

I beg to differ. If they are of the same wood and bracing. They will sound like two guitars of the same design. These are hand built wooden instruments that no two will sound identical. Maybe those that think they are different are only hearing the sound of one example to a better example. You can grab two OM28s and play them side by side and one will sound better than the other. Now the OM28 is over a thousand more in price, so maybe it is the better quality of the wood used that would garner any advantage in sound.

Don't get me wrong though. I am very excited about these two new releases (OM28 & 00018) I can't wait to play one.

MJRB 03-28-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMartinFan (Post 3886497)
Yes, but they definitely are not the same and do not sound the same. Just like the HD-28 and HD-28V look the same on paper, but don't sound the same.

I went out to buy an HD28, and finished up with an HD28V at $200 more after a side by side comparison. Either they are different or the HD28 that I played was a less than stellar example.
MJRB

MaurysMusic 03-28-2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJRB (Post 3886755)
I went out to buy an HD28, and finished up with an HD28V at $200 more after a side by side comparison. Either they are different or the HD28 that I played was a less than stellar example.
MJRB

They are different. The biggest tonal factor is forward-shifted bracing on the HD-28V.

I just picked up 3 OM-28s today at Martin and will soon get the chance to really play them back to back against the OM-21, but we're already sold out on the OM-28V. We sold the last 2 we had moments after they were discontinued.

llew 03-28-2014 05:51 AM

I had no doubt the new OM-28 would sound good...I still don't understand the rational behind the string spacing at the saddle vs the OM-28v or Marquis?

MaurysMusic 03-28-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 3886882)
I had no doubt the new OM-28 would sound good...I still don't understand the rational behind the string spacing at the saddle vs the OM-28v or Marquis?

I'll ask around. Maybe one of my friends in R&D or New Instrument Design can shed some light. I'd have to guess it has something to do with tooling.

llew 03-28-2014 09:20 AM

Thanks Maury...I'd like to know the answer to that.

NewMartinFan 03-28-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillster (Post 3886646)
I beg to differ. If they are of the same wood and bracing. They will sound like two guitars of the same design. These are hand built wooden instruments that no two will sound identical. Maybe those that think they are different are only hearing the sound of one example to a better example. You can grab two OM28s and play them side by side and one will sound better than the other. Now the OM28 is over a thousand more in price, so maybe it is the better quality of the wood used that would garner any advantage in sound.

I don't disagree with what you wrote. However, while the spec sheets Martin releases to the public provide useful information for comparative purposes, they do not tell the whole story. They are basic spec sheets. Maury's point regarding the bracing position of the HD-28 vs. HD-28V is one example of this.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 03-28-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 3886882)

2-3/16" at the saddle has become the industry standard over the years, Taylor, Rainsong and others have used it as their only option with no complaints from customers, it works well for most folks and for most styles.