The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yamaha CPX15 series (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155534)

Oskar 05-29-2009 04:59 AM

Yamaha CPX15 series

Howdy. Haven't posted much here but I've recently bought a Yamaha CPX15E for a pretty ridiculous price. I've read a bit about these guitars, but there's not much out there and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. I know they were a pretty high-end guitar for Yamaha and the workmanship was supposed to be of good quality. As you can tell, I'm waiting for the guitar to arrive, but I figure for the $375 I paid it's probably worth it. My only other acoustic is a 1965 Gibson Hummingbird. Have had it for the past 40 years. Would appreciate any comments, etc on the Yamaha. Thanks!

Oskar 05-31-2009 09:34 AM

No one here has any experience or comments on the CPX15 line?

Kitchen Guitars 05-31-2009 09:48 AM

Hey Oskar,
Welcome.
First off; no money stuff on the forum. Mods will likey x it out.
You stole it. The CPX line has unsurpassed electronics for performance. Stuff I have only read, I am not a plugger inner. The E is for east there were 4 in the series, each having a compass theme I had the North with a Moonburst and loved it. A little too flashy for my tastes but the craftsmanship was incredible. The tone was wonderful unplugged.
Great score. Ya gotta post pictures!

Here is the Manufacture records
Year(s) Sold: 1999-2001
Original MSRP(US$): $1699.00
Top: Solid Spruce
Back / Sides: Quilted Mahogany
Neck: Rosewood
Fingerboard: Ebony
Bridge: Ebony

Oskar 05-31-2009 10:50 AM

Thanks for the response. Most appreciated. Will keep the money thing in mind. Certainly didn't mean set an "agenda" by listing it, but will make every effort to abide by the forum regs.
Everything I've read about the series seems to indicate they were very well made. I too felt it was a bit showy, but I thought for the asking price it was worth it. We'll see once I get it.

Alan Porton 05-31-2009 10:53 AM

I use to own A CPX15 EA. It had a cool "Egyptian" theme with it's laminated Mahogany b/S and Spruce top. The Quilted Mahogany was really quite striking in appearance. I also liked the "Sandburst" finish on the top. My main disappointment was with the lack of quality acoustic tone. It never quite matched up to lower end Taylors or Martins. With it's built in dual source pickup system, I'm sure this guitar was designed to be played via amplification.

Oskar 05-31-2009 12:59 PM

Well, the main reason I'm buying it is to use amplified. Not as much interested in it for its natural acoustic tone.

MikeC 05-31-2009 02:00 PM

Yamaha CPX-15 series

I own the whole series, they are great guitars. The quality of these guitars are superior to most lower end Yamaha's. Acoustically I would not compare the sound of these guitars to my Martin HD-28, but plug it in and it sounds better than my HD-28. Great electronics.

Mike_A 05-31-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 1862055)
I own the whole series, they are great guitars. The quality of these guitars are superior to most lower end Yamaha's. Acoustically I would not compare the sound of these guitars to my Martin HD-28, but plug it in and it sounds better than my HD-28. Great electronics.

few years ago, our acoustic guitarist at church used a CPX. not sure if it was a CPX10 or CPX15 though. it was blue sunburst and made in either malaysia or indonesia i cant remember very well. but the sound out the PA is as good as it gets. very sweet and natural sounding. it had the barndoor preamp and connected straight to PA via DI. unplugged though i think its sound was just decent. im not a fan of the mini-jumbo size of the compass line though. and when you buy a new compass (CPX500/700/900 line) here in Philippines, the yamaha store dont have a case that fits. they tell you to buy one made to order from who knows where. major turn-off. go figure.

Jamler 07-29-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oskar (Post 1861984)
Well, the main reason I'm buying it is to use amplified. Not as much interested in it for its natural acoustic tone.

http://http://www.musikzentrum-freib...ium_jpg_p1.jpg

Since this is a few months old... I'm sure you know now, what an incredible purchase your made on the CPX-15E. I own the same axe, and it is truly a performance guitar. Any guitar that comes out of box with a soundhole cover is built for plugging in with the band!!! Honestly, I think it has wonderful acoustic tone, but believe it is the adjustable bridge that might be the drawback here. But being a performance guitar, it is build for amiplification and you simply cannot beat it, such a pleasant playing experience, with simply unbeatable action and a pickup configuration that truly delivers pure acoustic sounds. The controls offer very nice adjustable capabilities as well. I thought I stole mine mint @ $600... if minty you're experience is true thiefdom!!

Michael Watts 07-29-2009 02:44 PM

I won one in a competition a decade ago. It wasn't bad but I handed it in along with a Martin D-15 for my old Lowden. Never looked back.

Don't have the Lowden anymore either.

melikou1 07-29-2009 07:51 PM

I picked my CPX-15SA up on Ebay for a "reasonable" price....great action, solid craftsmanship, more bling than I would normally want for a guitar, but it works for me on this one. The blue stain really lets the grain show through nicely.

Balanced tone....no, not strong on the bass, but not bad. It's just not a cannon. But plug it in and....wow. Superb electronics. Definitely a performer plugged in.

Wouldn't choose it if I could only have one guitar, but its fun to have!

You got yours at a great price!

msu65 10-18-2010 04:11 PM

Cpx 15

Compass made these for a short time. I had a CPX 15E and I regret selling it and I am currently looking for one. My brother owns the "W" and he will never sell it. This guitar is not meant to have a big bottom. Plus comparing to an HD28 as one did is ridiculous since that guitar costs three times as much on the street and is a completely different style.

The guitar has high end electronics and a nice medium thickness to the body. The Grand Concert size is perfect for a performing guitarist.

The top is solid spruce but the sides and back are laminates. However, this did not seem to affect the sound at all and enabled Yamaha to add some really tastefull appointments and hardware keeping the price down.

The Compass CPX 15 has a nice balance across the strings like a Taylor. Ever wonder why they amplify so well. Balanced guitars sound better amplified. Not too much high or low end. They just sit in the pocket real nice.

The new CPX 900 "Compass Series" is somewhat comparable to the old 15 series but the quality is still below it.

The CPX 15 is one of the best values on the market and comes with an extremly plush hard case as well. Street values are around $600 to $700 for a CPX 15 Compass with case in good condition.

leazesend 03-20-2014 08:21 AM

Realize this is a very old thread, but I haven't gotten any responses trying to start a new one. I have a CPX 15W that hasn't been getting much use for a few years, trying to decide whether to hang on to it or sell it. Bought from GC in 2001 when I went in with the intention of buying a Taylor or Martin but the Yamaha impressed me way more than anything else they had in the same price range. Never been wild about the finish and color scheme but playability wise it is great (best neck and action of any acoustic I have played). Anyone have any idea if there is any demand for these and if I might get a fair price if I decide to sell it ?

cugir321 09-16-2015 08:05 PM

cpx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oskar (Post 1859878)
Howdy. Haven't posted much here but I've recently bought a Yamaha CPX15E for a pretty ridiculous price. I've read a bit about these guitars, but there's not much out there and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. I know they were a pretty high-end guitar for Yamaha and the workmanship was supposed to be of good quality. As you can tell, I'm waiting for the guitar to arrive, but I figure for the $375 I paid it's probably worth it. My only other acoustic is a 1965 Gibson Hummingbird. Have had it for the past 40 years. Would appreciate any comments, etc on the Yamaha. Thanks!

That was a steal.

I have one....love it. The intonation is better then 5k martins and Taylors I played when I was looking to buy. Perfect. The sound is not as bright like the taylors. (you can brighten it up with elixar nano 80/20's.) Not as many overtones. I like that. It is very balanced, bass to treble strings. I think it's closer to a Martins sound. That little japanese guy who built it put the neck on perfect. I had it looked at by a very good luthiar the day I bought it. He raved about it. Said it was built perfect. The quilted mahogony is stunning.

If you ever have it refretted....find someone really good. You cannot put the frets in tight. (they need to be glued too) You'll lose all the adjustment on the truss rod. I got that straight from the factory. I told the guy who refretted mine and he ignore me. It only plays with mediums 13-56 now. The neck is "just" flat with med's. I'm still trying to figure out the neck radius. I think it's about 16". I won't talk to the guy who refretted the guitar to ask him. I'd like to bang his head against a wall. (I have to get it refretted again...he'll never touch it). I need a picture of the original frets if you have one. A close up. The guy who refretted mine changed the frets.

GuitarChampion 05-05-2019 03:42 AM

I have the Egyptian model that I’m restoring. (Does anyone know what the soundhole cover looks like from the factory? Also, I’ve seen conflicting information about the electronics. (Some adds/specs say LRBaggs some say something different. If they sold them with different electronics, how would I know if mine is the LRBaggs version? Thanks. Looking forward to getting this thing playable.