The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Who Greatly Influenced Your Acoustic Guitar Playing? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489843)

RP 11-18-2017 07:09 AM

Who Greatly Influenced Your Acoustic Guitar Playing?

This thread is an offshoot to a recent and similar thread which seemed to rise (and possibly fall) on the definition of "today." I decided to expand that thread because I think that in this world of online music and oldsters continuing to perform and influence youngsters (and the young at heart), the word "today" becomes a tough distinction.

Being an oldster, my acoustic influences are also oldsters. Whether dead or alive, the music of these oldsters is very much extant (and popular) and I believe to be still influential. I believe that Eric Clapton remains a strong influence on the state of acoustic guitar, even today; I would strongly say that his acoustic performances, especially his Unplugged performance, is as inspiring today as it was in the early 90s. I wonder how many of us were moved to start, continue or renew our interest in playing acoustic guitar due to the influences of oldsters????? Based on some of the responses in the previous thread, I'd say quite a few....

My list would include Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul & Mary, John Denver, Cat Stevens, Tom Paxton, Phil Ochs, Jorma Kaukonen, Jim Croce, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jackson Browne and of course, Eric Clapton....

HHP 11-18-2017 07:12 AM

Pretty short list for me.

Dan Crary
Doc Watson
Tony Rice
Norman Blake
Arty McGlynn

Scottj121 11-18-2017 07:41 AM

John Fahey and Reverend Gary Davis for me.
Scott

zombywoof 11-18-2017 07:47 AM

Before I ever heard of Eric Clapton, a friend of my father who had a large record collection let me go through it. I was looking for folk music and was armed with a Roberts reel to reel to copy it. What I stumbled on was Lonnie Johnson, Tampa Red, Memphis Minnie, and other 78 rpms. This led me into guys like Howard Armstrong and Danny Barker. It was not long before I was setting my sights on Lightnin,' Dave Van Ronk, and Muddy. This led me into Mike Bloomfield, Danny Kalb, Peter Green, and Johnny Winter. Today I take all of that and throw it into a blender.

Bluesidae 11-18-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombywoof (Post 5540570)
Before I ever heard of Eric Clapton, a friend of my father who had a large record collection let me go through it. I was looking for folk music and was armed with a Roberts reel to reel to copy it. What I stumbled on was Lonnie Johnson, Tampa Red, Memphis Minnie, and other 78 rpms. This led me into guys like Howard Armstrong and Danny Barker. It was not long before I was setting my sights on Lightnin,' Dave Van Ronk, and Muddy. This led me into Mike Bloomfield, Danny Kalb, Peter Green, and Johnny Winter. Today I take all of that and throw it into a blender.

^Fantastic musical 'journey'. You have given me many ideas for todays listening on Spotify. Thx!

Bluesidae 11-18-2017 07:53 AM

Clapton for sure. Keb' Moc, Big Bill Broonzy and Mississippi John Hurt!

Dronfield 11-18-2017 07:59 AM

Hi

In no particular order of importance;

Eric Clapton
Ry Cooder
Mark Knopfler

Cheers

Rich

51 Relic 11-18-2017 08:13 AM

Ralph McTell
Martin Simpson

KCharlesD 11-18-2017 08:14 AM

Paul Simon, and also Jerry Douglas's dobro playing, his melodic sense, playing around the vocal line and complimenting the song. I don't play dobro at all.

DCCougar 11-18-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5540531)
My list would include Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul & Mary, John Denver, Cat Stevens, Phil Ochs, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jackson Browne and of course, Eric Clapton....

Same here, with slight modification. And I'd add Donovan.

philjs 11-18-2017 08:19 AM

Michael Hedges, Don Ross, Pierre Bensusan, SoÏg Siberil (to name just a few of the many). Studied with Don for three years in the early 90s so he's a "greatly" influenced...

Phil

RP 11-18-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCharlesD (Post 5540595)
Paul Simon, and also Jerry Douglas's dobro playing, his melodic sense, playing around the vocal line and complimenting the song. I don't play dobro at all.

Wow! How did I forget Simon & Garfunkel????

6L6 11-18-2017 08:28 AM

Dave Van Ronk
Rev. Gary Davis
Peter, Paul, & Mary
Paul Simon
Chuck Berry
Patrick Sky
Gordon Lightfoot

David Eastwood 11-18-2017 08:29 AM

John Fahey, Ralph McTell, and (especially) Michael Chapman.

The Bard Rocks 11-18-2017 08:54 AM

influences

Really just one - Roland Vinyard. And today, I sound just like him.

Starting out there were plenty who I'd have loved to be able to play like: John Hurt, Doc Watson and John Fahey come to mind. But I knew I'd never be able to play like that so I didn't emulate them.