The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Old Friends/Bookends" by Paul Simon (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483815)

Glennwillow 09-22-2017 07:00 PM

"Old Friends/Bookends" by Paul Simon (cover)

This is my solo cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Old Friends/Bookends" song from their 1968 Bookends album. As I am singing the song solo, there is no vocal harmony part to the song, so it has a very different feel from the way Simon & Garfunkel performed this song. There is a lot of quiet space in this song, so that every breath seems to sound huge.

I do smile fairly obviously in the midst of this song after I sing, "... how terribly strange to be seventy..." I will be turning 70 in only a few months. Truth is, it doesn't feel strange at all. :)

The guitar is my Santa Cruz OM/PW with D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light) strings.

Thanks so much for listening! :)

- Glenn

flatbaroque 09-22-2017 08:52 PM

Beautiful version,really enjoyed that.I like those opening chords.Reminds me of Eric Satie's Gymnopedie.

islandguitar 09-22-2017 09:39 PM

Glenn, a remarkable tour down memory lane with this song! A pause, a reflection, "a time it was".............
Thanks for the journey on a Friday night..........playing/singing just beautiful.

From a 70 year old guy on the east coast! ;)

Glennwillow 09-22-2017 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbaroque (Post 5484672)
Beautiful version,really enjoyed that.I like those opening chords.Reminds me of Eric Satie's Gymnopedie.

Hi FB,

Thank you! I'm glad you like this! :)

And I have had the same reaction to the chords in Eric Satie's Les Trois Gymnopedies; I think Paul Simon borrowed those same chords for "Old Friends!" How very observant of you!

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-22-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 5484713)
Glenn, a remarkable tour down memory lane with this song! A pause, a reflection, "a time it was".............
Thanks for the journey on a Friday night..........playing/singing just beautiful.

From a 70 year old guy on the east coast! ;)

Thank you very much, Fred! :)

And you are right -- a pause, a reflection... I'm quite sure Paul Simon had exactly that in mind! One of your recent comments reminded me of this song and so I felt I had to record this! :)

- Glenn

Dustinfurlow 09-23-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbaroque (Post 5484672)

Beat me to it!! Great job brother. I'd never heard this tune until now, and I thought I was a big fan of Paul. I'm gonna go ahead and say great job regardless that I haven heard the original.. interested to hear it after I'm done typing here :)

Murphy Slaw 09-23-2017 05:15 AM

You don't look strange.....

Really nice job with that.

islandguitar 09-23-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 5484770)
Thank you very much, Fred! :)

And you are right -- a pause, a reflection... I'm quite sure Paul Simon had exactly that in mind! One of your recent comments reminded me of this song and so I felt I had to record this! :)

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn.....very cool to know that!

MrDB 09-23-2017 08:34 AM

Just wonderful. 2 great S&G songs B2B. Can't beat that.

And you look and sound great for 70. Keep it up!!

I just turned 65 myself, and was lamenting my passage in to old age and Medicare. My best friend jolted me back to reality by reminding me of people who never got the chance to turn 65.

We are blessed more than we realize.

Glennwillow 09-23-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow (Post 5484780)
Beat me to it!! Great job brother. I'd never heard this tune until now, and I thought I was a big fan of Paul. I'm gonna go ahead and say great job regardless that I haven heard the original.. interested to hear it after I'm done typing here :)

Hi Dustin,

Thank you very much for your thoughts and comments! I am so glad you like this!

I, personally, like this song from Simon and Garfunkel a great deal. The harmony seems to be perfect for my tastes. Here is a live version of S&G:

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-23-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw (Post 5484826)
You don't look strange.....

Really nice job with that.

Thank you Murph! :D

I very much appreciate your listening and commenting! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-23-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDB (Post 5484957)
Just wonderful. 2 great S&G songs B2B. Can't beat that.

And you look and sound great for 70. Keep it up!!

I just turned 65 myself, and was lamenting my passage in to old age and Medicare. My best friend jolted me back to reality by reminding me of people who never got the chance to turn 65.

We are blessed more than we realize.

Hi MrDB,

Yes, we are blessed to be able to make it till old age! Thanks so much for listening and commenting! I'm very pleased that you like this version!

- Glenn

BrunoBlack 09-23-2017 12:33 PM

Just beautiful Glenn. One of my favorite albums.

ITB 09-23-2017 01:55 PM

Fine playing and singing, Glenn. Lots of feeling and great touch!

MarkoMarkus 09-23-2017 02:21 PM

I already told you my comment on YouTube but once again, great job, enjoyed very much !