The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New player - frustrated (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457059)

jed1894 01-21-2017 01:46 PM

New player - frustrated

Just started playing Xmas with my 11 year old. He plays an Ibanez parlor. I bought Fender cd60 and Squier affinity (to play around with). Action was set by dealer and looks to be real low. He's progressing fine. Here are my problems:

1. Can't get the C chord. Because of broke wrist and pins, fingers just won't spread enough. Any suggestions on chords that may sound same?

2. My hands are small with short fingers (nothing I can do about this). Any particular brand of guitar that would help here?

3. Muffling strings a problem but I'm working on it. Seem to have biggest problem muffling high E with palm of index finger when reaching for Other chords. Short fingers.

I don't mind investing in better guitar if I knew it would help with easier playing. Strings or action changes too.

Sorry my questions are vague and rookie related. Just getting frustrated. BUT IM NOT QUITING.

Thanks Jed

Highway_61 01-21-2017 01:57 PM

You seem the perfect candidate for open tunings.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/images/articles/4/1.gif

http://www.unlocktheguitar.net/alter...gs-guides.html

richard1 01-21-2017 01:59 PM

The difficulties you are describing are what we all went through. Your fingers are not too small, and the broken wrist and pins will not affect your ability. No need to consider a different guitar, just be patient and keep on keeping on. You WILL get there in the end.

jed1894 01-21-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1 (Post 5202256)
The difficulties you are describing are what we all went through. Your fingers are not too small, and the broken wrist and pins will not affect your ability. No need to consider a different guitar, just be patient and keep on keeping on. You WILL get there in the end.

Was afraid someone would tell me what I already knew.....LOL

jed1894 01-21-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway_61 (Post 5202253)

Very interesting. Might take me a month to figure this out.

roylor4 01-21-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jed1894 (Post 5202246)
Just started playing Xmas with my 11 year old. He plays an Ibanez parlor. I bought Fender cd60 and Squier affinity (to play around with). Action was set by dealer and looks to be real low. He's progressing fine. Here are my problems:

1. Can't get the C chord. Because of broke wrist and pins, fingers just won't spread enough. Any suggestions on chords that may sound same?

2. My hands are small with short fingers (nothing I can do about this). Any particular brand of guitar that would help here?

3. Muffling strings a problem but I'm working on it. Seem to have biggest problem muffling high E with palm of index finger when reaching for Other chords. Short fingers.

I don't mind investing in better guitar if I knew it would help with easier playing. Strings or action changes too.

Sorry my questions are vague and rookie related. Just getting frustrated. BUT IM NOT QUITING.

Thanks Jed

Jed, The old injury or pins in your wrist may be keeping you from making a C chord - most likely it's just making it much harder for you.

As you progress, the ability for your fingers to work independently and to spread farther will increase. There are several way to play every chord up and down the neck, but I think you would be well served to try the traditional shape until you can achieve it.

A few points:

You have a large guitar. A smaller guitar fits differently in the lap and can change the angle of your hand. You may want to investigate smaller guitars.

Try the classical guitar playing position (google it). It will straighten your wrist out and give your fingers more stretch and strength. Although it may sound counter intuitive, a wider nut width (I prefer 1.75") is often easier for new players to play, even those w/short fingers.

Your guitar is long scale 25.5". You can get guitars with a scale length of 24" (Alvarez parlor guitars) or even less (Taylor GS mini). You may be able to make chords on a short scale guitar that are impossible for you on a long scale guitar.

As far as a guitar that will feel good in your hands (regardless of short or long fingers) is very much a try-it-and-see kind of thing. Some neck profiles work well for some people while causing others problems - even if they have the same body and hand size, that's just the way it is.

Inyo 01-21-2017 02:23 PM

Deleted by author.

GibbyPrague 01-21-2017 02:25 PM

Toughen up !

Everyone went through this, and if you dont like C ... wait till you get to F.

But ... also look at learning a song that has chords you can play, it will motivate and inspire you to continue.

Silurian 01-21-2017 02:37 PM

This is a great site for beginners

https://www.justinguitar.com/

FOG01 01-21-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jed1894 (Post 5202267)
Was afraid someone would tell me what I already knew.....LOL

Thought the same thing. I started on a Taylor GS Mini to address my stubby finger issues. Even with that I felt physically incapable for what seemed way too long. But I stuck with it and learned what you've been told. I even moved up to a bigger guitar (GA) when the mini started to feel small.

Gmountain 01-21-2017 02:53 PM

I think a couple of lessons would help. A teacher can see what your problem is and find a way to solve it.

Also, three weeks isn't very long. Three years isn't very long.

jed1894 01-21-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GibbyPrague (Post 5202277)
Toughen up !

Everyone went through this, and if you dont like C ... wait till you get to F.

But ... also look at learning a song that has chords you can play, it will motivate and inspire you to continue.

LOl.... Sounds like my wife talking to me!!!

jed1894 01-21-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roylor4 (Post 5202273)
Jed, The old injury or pins in your wrist may be keeping you from making a C chord - most likely it's just making it much harder for you.

As you progress, the ability for your fingers to work independently and to spread farther will increase. There are several way to play every chord up and down the neck, but I think you would be well served to try the traditional shape until you can achieve it.

A few points:

You have a large guitar. A smaller guitar fits differently in the lap and can change the angle of your hand. You may want to investigate smaller guitars.

Try the classical guitar playing position (google it). It will straighten your wrist out and give your fingers more stretch and strength. Although it may sound counter intuitive, a wider nut width (I prefer 1.75") is often easier for new players to play, even those w/short fingers.

Your guitar is long scale 25.5". You can get guitars with a scale length of 24" (Alvarez parlor guitars) or even less (Taylor GS mini). You may be able to make chords on a short scale guitar that are impossible for you on a long scale guitar.

As far as a guitar that will feel good in your hands (regardless of short or long fingers) is very much a try-it-and-see kind of thing. Some neck profiles work well for some people while causing others problems - even if they have the same body and hand size, that's just the way it is.

Great info. I will try. I also have. Classical guitar I haven't messed with much because of thick neck. May get it out again. Thanks. I'm trying your suggestions now

Kalani 01-21-2017 02:59 PM

If possible, you should also try to incorporate some finger/hand/forearm stretching exercises before playing; these can be found on YouTube. Also, look up proper chord fingering technique. Beginners (especially) will tend to have their hand and fingers scrunched up at the fingerboard with the neck in the palm of their hand for the C chord. Try to get space between the neck and hand palm so your fingers can really spread out on the fingerboard. I have really small hands but I can form chords that friends with much larger hands can't (strictly due to technique). Hope this helps.

3woodengulls 01-21-2017 03:02 PM

Hate to tell you this Jed but it's not your injury or fingers it's lack of playing time...I am sure some wanker will post a video on here showing a 5 year old girl shredding on a guitar to prove this point. Everybody goes through this. Stick with it because most who get frustrated won't. Don't be that person! It gets better way better. I promise and you will be proud of yourself when you look back and go " can't believe I had that much trouble with a c chord because the b and f are way harder!"